>>>>

Monday, April 16, 2012

MQX, Part One!

My flight home got me into Greensboro about 10pm last night….I hexied until I couldn’t see to thread a needle anymore ----it was dark OUTSIDE the plane, and those little reading lights “in the panel above your head” just aren’t enough for these old eyes to see even where the EYE of the needle is in semi-darkness.

I gave it up, listened to a book on my MP3 player and dozed ----I’ll have to back-track on that story to find what I missed out on!

This morning --- it’s a put it all back together kind of day. First things first –those MQX photos!

There is NO WAY to tackle all these photos in one upload!

I decided the only way to make it through the editing was to do it in batches – you see, when they come off the camera they are high res, huge photos – inch wise it says they are about 45 inches in the widest dimension, which makes for slow loading files and takes too much storage space, so I have to edit and crop and fix every photo I upload to the blog for easier web viewing – with the exception of the “Iphone-o-Grams” which come live from the phone as they happen.

I grabbed a random sampling of the first photos I took at MQX --- there is likely to be commentary on some --- and some need no explaining.

Because I was trying to take pictures around people who were standing in front of things, I may have missed many of the descriptions stating who made what and what their explanation is – just because I couldn’t take time to wait for every single person to finish reading and move aside so I could take a pic of every paragraph.

When I visit shows, I’m really guilty of taking partial pics of quilts….a piece of border, an alternate block, a corner treatment, maybe a fun sashing….so you are likely to get bits and parts!

I posted pics of Sharon Schamber’s quilt in THIS Iphone-o-Gram –the first quilt I looked at as we made our way up the aisles and I knew I was in for a feast for the eyes…

RhodeIsland2012 100

There were also close ups like THIS……the quilting was incredible, and yes, all that lattice work is open, you can see right through to the other side.

RhodeIsland2012 101

This is typical for the kind of shots I take at quilt shows! The blue you see through the lattice work is the carpet on the other side ;c)

RhodeIsland2012 105

I’m really drawn to quilts that are “DIFFERENT” than the kind that I make. I find it so amazing how other artist’s minds work ..these quilts were so unbelievably detailed!

RhodeIsland2012 106

Doesn't this just blow you away?? WOW!

RhodeIsland2012 107

This is the flying bird at the top…..even the rays of the sun were feathered ---- just gorgeous!

RhodeIsland2012 108

This one is so Wild and Goosey! It just radiates happiness and free spirit to me ---

RhodeIsland2012 109

Look at this quilting detail! Do you see the textured background BEHIND that pink swirly feather? Under/Over lattice work! Makes me think I can just QUIT pretending to be a quilter now and just go home!

RhodeIsland2012 112

Thread painting so unbelievably REAL looking! Get closer, come on, you know you want to!

RhodeIsland2012 114

The EYES have it!

RhodeIsland2012 113

I found it hard NOT to pet him! This was just so cool!

RhodeIsland2012 115

And for the doggie lovers out there....look at this little guy ---his nose was the most realistic of all…get a load of this:

RhodeIsland2012 116

Look at that texture! I know I’d never be able to make quilts like this –it’s a whole different kind of art form that I so appreciate, and so envy in those who see fabrics and thread through their eyes and hands this way.

There was also a great display of white on white quilts. A whole page of white on white quilts might make a very white blog post, so I’m going to upload those in an album for your perusal. Be sure to click and biggie size – the quilting is phenomenal


I'll post another batch tomorrow!

So this girl is home ----and you know what I say about how things change in a week? Up in Rhode Island, trees aren’t leafing yet ----the forsythia is still blooming with reckless abandon, flowering trees are starting to drop their petals and the leaves are starting, just barely, to emerge – but when I woke up this morning, THIS is the sight that greeted me off my back deck:

RhodeIsland2012 444

Wahoooooo!!

RhodeIsland2012 443

This week is DEFINITELY brought to you by the color ---GREEN!

23 comments:

  1. Welcome home Bonnie! And thanks for the pictures! I'm like you, when I go to the big quilt shows I come away a little intimidated at the unbelievable talent there. But you certainly have no reason to be intimidated! Your talent is every bit as amazing in your own genre and your quilts just as awe-inspiring :*)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome home - home is a great place to be love your view from the deck. Glad you had a great flight, I think I see a book in your future about your travels. The quilts are amazing, I could never do work like that - I would not have the patience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:53 AM EDT

    Glad you got to sleep in a bit this morning. Am so envious of your green trees, Maine has yet to open anything up, even the forsythia are lagging way Down East.
    Love the pics, can't wait to see more. I am awe-filled at the intricate work of which these machine quilters are capable. When I grow up, I want to be like them. I, too have taken similar pics at previous MQX shows and still drool over the wondrous designs.
    Be well my friend, and get some rest in --between laundry, cleaning, stitching etc.
    Best to ya girl,
    Faye

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:58 AM EDT

    I met you at MQX. I see you loved the gorilla also. I took lots of photos of him too. i can quilt like that in my dreams. So, even if its only in dreams I'll take what I can. You are such a busy lady. Enjoy your home till you have to be on the go again. Your back yard is beautiful. Green has been one of my favorite colors for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely beautiful pictures and close up. They really do inspire me! Thanks for sharing so generously!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful, beautiful quilts, thank you. And your back yard is equally lovely. Although the art quilts aren't what you typically do, there does seem to be a lot of cheddar in there! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for taking the close-ups! I have to watch the slideshow now... Your quilts might not be like these, but they are just as beautiful and creative. Don't stop making your scrappy quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for taking such beautiful pictures of the quilt and quilting. I guess that I am just a utility quilter. I am definitely not an art quilter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bonnie,
    I love quilt shows and I always feel the same way you do when I see the fantastic work that some people do. But since I make quilts cause I love quilts, I'll keep stitching!!
    I had to comment when I read that you couldn't see to stitch on your flight. OTT has a tiny, clip-on light that gives a marvelous little spotlight. I keep it for camping trips when I wake up in the wee hours of the morning. I can get up and see to stitch without bothering DH - he agreed that it was worth the purchase price. I found mine at my local JoAnn's fabric store for $19.95.
    Peace
    katydidart.net
    katydidart60@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing the pictures from MQX - love the dog quilt. :)
    The view from your back door looks very relaxing.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm trying to think of what to say while I pick my jaw up off the floor! If that is quilting then I don't quilt. : )
    Oh, I love your green yard.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I deep the camera I use to photos for our school web page set at a lower (600 x 800) resolution so they are ready to use without changing them for the web. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Quilters come in all sizes and skills. No one has the incling to master them all. When I go to shows I start to feel inadequate. Then I remind myself how far I've come and how much I enjoy what I do. Your pictures are great!! Your work and blog are awesome. Thak you for sharing. Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  14. In the words of Kermit, it's great to be green. Thanks for the pictures of MQX. There are different types of quilters. Some folks enjoy the intricate machine quilting, and some piece with teeny tiny scraps of fabric. That's the great thing about our art... it's not a one size fits all. There's something for everybody.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous12:01 PM EDT

    Thanks for all the beautiful quilt pictures and also the GREEN view from your back door. I still have about 3 feet of melting snow and mud in my back yard. I may get some green in July at the rate it is melting! Enjoy your time home! Today is a Fair and Square outer border pressapalooza day! They are almost all stitched so I will sit with my menfolk tonight and press while they watch TV! Joy in AK

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much for sharing the MQX photos! Such an amazing show of pure talent and determined artists. Stunningly beautiful art!
    Enjoy all those gorgeous trees around you. They are beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. o my! this is artist work of the finest kind... I am gonna slink away... take up cards.... no way could I ever do anything so special. thanks for the pics bonny. what a wonderful time you must have had...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely photos Bonnie. You garden looks peaceful.
    Is there a time of year that you just stop and think, recharge batteries and maybe design new quilts? Just wondering as you always seem to be on the go.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous3:07 PM EDT

    An orchestra cannot be made up of only soloists. It would sound terrible - really. A meal is not just all dessert, a painting must be more than one color or shade. The quilt world needs meat and potatoes, accompanists and scrap quilts. Remember, the stellar quilters learned something from each quilt they made before they got where they are now. You learn Twinkle Twinkle Little Star before you can sing at the Met. A violinist that does not play Scheherezade is no less a violinist. A quilter who makes pinwheels is no less a quilter than one who sculpts with fabric and thread.
    Polly G

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the way your photos shows the complete quilt as well as the close ups. I do that type of thing sometimes as well when I take photos at quilt shows. I put this type of quilting in a different category from the type of quilting you and I do. These people are artists working with fabric. They could probably do amazing things with pen and ink, or oils, or charcoal but they choose to use fabric. I cannot do amazing things with normal art implements but I can do graphic things and choose to work with fabric to do them.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great pics! Look forward to seeing more.

    Did you know that there are more shades of green than there are of any other color in the spectrum? My favorite color is green and when asked which one, I always sya ALL of them!

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I was wondering if you have ever made a 'picture' quilt before? Or are you only into making your traditional quilts with heaps of small pieces? I was wondering because you seemed to enjoy the picture quilts in this post, and most quilters I know have a go at a lot of different styles.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous3:51 PM EDT

    OMG...there's my mini from the Neutral Fusion exhibit. They were all so different; really fun to see.

    Margaret
    www.quiltsoflove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)