>>>>

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Scrappy Mountains in the Blue Ridge!


It was a terrific day for a workshop! We set up our machines and power sewed the day away making Scrappy Mountain Majesties blocks!

I told you last post that this conference room is huge, and it is above the horse arena at the Virginia Horse Center, right?

lexingtonva2011 023

This is the view of the well groomed arena from the bank of windows in the conference room! I was told stories that usually on any given weekend you can see riders and horses going through their paces down there while you sew….we must have been sewing on an “off” weekend as the arena stayed quiet the whole time we were there.

We sewed and cut and sewed some more!

After the workshop, I came back to my room and crashed for a while, and then headed down into Lexington for some dinner! I just LOVE colonial buildings, and downtown Lexington does not disappoint!

lexingtonva2011 058

Walking uphill I found this one, and the light of the evening was just PERFECT Wouldn’t you like to know what this building was like in it’s original state in the “early” days? I would! I like to imagine what the fashions were, who came and went, and the lives lived. I always wanted to live above a business….I can bet the proprietor had his shop or office on the street level, while the family lived up stairs.

lexingtonva2011 059

Love the brick pattern on this one! Isn’t this a cool building? I’m sure it has had quite the life too….

After dinner I sewed the night away while watching tearjerker movies on either hallmark or lifetime, I don’t remember which…..but that Nights in Rodanthe just gets me every time! ***SOBBING*** And I am glad I was here to enjoy it because I “KNOW* that the men-folk at home would not tolerate such chick flicks! LOL!

So this morning, I’m packing it up --- Heading home --- but planning on some jaunts through some antique malls for inspiration along the way!

The sun is shining, the sky is blue…it’s chilly, but hey, at least it is not snowing, right?! Rolling on the floor laughing

Tomorrow is Valentine’s Day….and in honor of Valentine’s Day, we are going to have a very special “Share Your Heart” Give-Away! Come back tomorrow for more details!

20 comments:

  1. Good Morning, I really like the pattern you taught at the workshop. Looks kinda diffcult? I am glad that you got away from the snow. Have a great day and stay in stitches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lexington VA looks like a very cool place... and I love the blocks and seeing how they look in different fabrics and layouts... glad you had a good time! Safe travels...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lexington looks like a great town. Can hardly wait to see what treasures you find on your trip. Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That second building with the cool brick work has a sign saying Artists in Cahoots.....did you go in? Was it a gallery? Sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sewed for hours last night and saw the DVD, "Nights in Rodanthe" for the first time! Oh my goodness! I cried where I had to put down the rotary cutter as was afraid for my fingers! Should have expected the ending though as seems as if all of Nicolas Sparks' novels have one of the main characters die in them. I want to go there and stay in that house! Have a safe drive home.-Marla

    ReplyDelete
  6. Want to know a secret? The first building, with the Millinery sign on it? That sign was painted for the filming of "Sommersby" - so it's a lot newer than the building!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that reminds me I have a Scrappy Majestic Mountain UFO. I must dig it out I wonder where it is. I would love to visit that part of the country someday. So much history.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are living your journey with your blogs. No snow, it is 50 here today. Loved the movies on TV and that brick design is really great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi Bonnie, thanks for posting the pics of this workshop. It is very interesting to see the different settings and results. I played in EQ with settings of the Virginia Bound pattern - fascinating! wishing a safe ride back home Brigitte

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bonnie,
    I enjoy sharing your pics and travelog.Always so inspiring. I need to learn the mountain piceing as I love mountains and spent several years living in the Sierra range here in California. Thanks for the share. G

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like you had a fabulous time! The pictures show gorgeous quilts. Safe travels home!

    ReplyDelete
  12. More happy and inspired quilt makers being touched by your teaching magic :0).

    Safe trip home Bonnie and happy sewing

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like a grand time was had by all in an equally grand community. I love old, historic villages. Hope you had fun hopping from one antique store to another, and I hope you drove with a light foot!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just looked up that block this morning. I have wanted to do one for a long time. It is on my list to do soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bonnie, Everytime I come to your blog page I get a "happy" feeling. I just LOVE your new look!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Am I "reading" your photos correctly: you made 8" half-square triangles and then cut them into four strips that are 2" wide?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the quilt pattern--so many different patterns I should say.
    Everyone looks so happy busy.
    L,A-

    ReplyDelete
  18. Bonnie, it was fun meeting you at the Rockbridge Pieceworkers Quilt Guild FridaY and the workshop on Saturday. It was great to see all the pictures you took too since I didn't get a chance to see them all. Sorry I didn't get to say good-bye. Happy travels!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your class posts with the slideshows. It presents a whole new view of your quilts watching them progress through each stage. I keep going and looking at patterns that I hadn't prev added to my to do list. I need a few lifetimes to do them all :).
    Safe trip home

    ReplyDelete
  20. I watched Nights in Rodanthe on Sat nite too! I was crying with u!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)