>>>>

Sunday, August 03, 2008

Tonya & Bonnie's Fungly Challenge!


Laugh yourself out of the box with us!

Do you have fabrics in your stash you SWEAR you never bought? Too ugly to look at, but you can't bear to part with them? Then this is the challenge for you!

This silly quilt came about when Tonya sent me some pics of some blocks she was working on with the most unlikely combinations she could come up with. She wanted them LARGE (9-1/2") and fast, and didn't care if units wer turned wrong, or if points were cut off in haphazard jubilation. WEEE! It sounded so fun I thought I could cast my uglies into the wind and see what I could come up with too! Just look at her sample her.....Cow Print Cornerstones? Lovely! *hehehehehe* FUN + UGLY = FUNGLY!



Just look at tlese lovelies!! I bet they'd make you stop and look twice if you passed them in a shop window! Tonya's block pattern is Jacks on Six, but any block pattern will do. Most blocks have 2 fabrics, some have 3. Go through your books of basic blocks and pick one you've always wanted to play with. The quilt pattern is up to your inspiration, you are just going to do it with the most WEIRDLY PAIRED FABRICS YOU HAVE!

Here's my challenge! My colors don't look as bold, and that's okay. These are *MY* ugly fabrics, and I'm not trying to make it look just like Tonya's. Your Fungly quilt will be a reflection of your silly fabrics in YOUR stash. It's okay if the pallette is different. What you want is to come up with the ODDEST combinations possible! Look at these for more examples:


Many of these fabrics were given to me in the ugly housewarming Tonya organized (Yeah, right, a likely story that keeps me from admitting they were MINE to begin with !) I laughed so hard as I was putting these oddities together. I think I want to name mine "Strange Bedfellows" *hehee*. I changed the block unit layout from Tonya's just a bit so it was a block I hadn't done before. Really, ANY block would work, even if you wanted to do plain ugly 9 patches. These two blocks each have a strong diagonal so you can twist and turn them with or without sashing or put them on point for a different look.




Do you want to play? I hope you will! I hope you will share your photos on your blog or via email! This is NOT a mystery, there will be no other steps, there will not be a deadline or a finish date. This is simply our way of standing up and saying NO to overly matched Jelly Rolls and Layer Cakes and doing something out of the box (or bin or basket) that we can sometimes find ourselves in.

Have a giggle, and sew something FUNGLY today!

Some quickies about my block:

It's called "split 9 patch" and I found it in block base. There are a bunch of great easy patterns on the web and in books and everywhere. Pick one you've always wanted to try.

I don't know how I'm setting them yet, or how many I'll make. I never plan it out from start to finish, I just go with the flow and I'll know when it's done after I play with it for a while.

Sashings, alternate blocks, borders, setting triangles put on point? Up to you!

I cut my block pieces out of 3.5" strips using the easy angle ruler to cut the triangle pairs. The block finishes at 9" square, so each unit finishes at 3". The method you use to construct the triangles units is up to you :c) Most of all, have FUN! Find a girlfriend who wants to play, and each of you make pairs of blocks and trade with each other....Oh man, I can't wait for the quilt police to SEE THESE BEAUTIES!!!

31 comments:

  1. Wow, Wow, Wow, is all I can say..all those Fungly blogs are, well, just awesome, and PRETTY! Problem might be getting to sleep under one of those BRIGHT quilts though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bonnie,
    They are so so so funny! I'm sitting at work trying not to laugh out loud! Please it hurts my stomach to hold it in :) I'm definitely going to look in my stash - hehe who knows what I'll find.
    thanks for a great laugh
    deb xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun!! I am going to try and get my friend Anne to try this out with me.
    Too cute and wow, the combinations are endless.
    Smiles.:c)....Fran

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear God, those uglies make my head hurt. Too bad I don't have ANY ugly fabrics, otherwise I might join in. :) Yeah, that's it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are great! And surprisingly pretty when put together :-)
    I am making some log cabin-ish blogs from my scraps....same idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:40 AM EDT

    Uau... The blocks look great.
    -luiza (creativebusyhands.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm heading out to my studio to turn my stash upside down asap. Maybe I can find something ugly too. I wanna play.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun idea! I guess I will have to go stash diving.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love them Bonnie. I'm going to try to get some Fungly blocks made too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous8:49 AM EDT

    You know me....you know that nothing I have in my stash even compares to Tonya's. I thought I was doing good to get the 80's stuff out into a Scrappy Bargello.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL I'm not sure the Many Trips Around the World I'm working on now isn't a Fungly!

    I WAS going to close this computer and go take my shower and get dressed. But now I'm going to have to take a detour by my stash! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sometime you just have to get far enough away for an "ugly" to turn into "that's just fun" ;-)
    I love the photos!! Can't wait to see all the others!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My guild has lots of ugly fabric that people have donated for charity quilts. We'll work on a fungly quilt this Thursday for Project Linus! Great idea, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Bonnie!

    What a great idea. I don't know if I will get a chance to make up some blocks, but here's a post on my blog about a recent adventure I began with some stash that I hate. Why do we have stuff that we hate in our stash??? Anyway, here's a link:

    http://knottypineunderground.blogspot.com/2008/07/various-and-sundry-things.html

    Click on the pic and look at how truly atrocious those fabs are! I did get around to glueing all those circles down and played around with them on the machine, but could not get my machine to cooperate and do not like the results. Will do some ripping out and try again. Or, maybe I'll scrap the whole thing and start with more circles! We'll see.

    Thanks for the challenge!

    Patricia
    rpngso@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love, love, love this!!! Wouldn't you just love to hear people's comments about 100 years from now? I'm sure there'd be a few tsk, tsk, poor dear had no color sense! Great job, Bonnie and Tonya!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Count me in. I haven't pieced anything since the July 4th retreat.
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  17. Too much fun! You guys are a hoot together. I'll tell you what we need. We need a Tonya and Bonnie quilting retreat where we can get together and quilt in liberation til the wee hours of the morning. Seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  18. what a fun project! I love both yours and Tonya's blocks... they look easy to make and fast. TOo bad, I'm so behind in what I have... but maybe I can do this later on sicne there is no deadline. Maybe after school starts this fall.

    Oh, and should I keep an eye out to see if that ughly golden/cheddar fabric that I sent to you last fall shows up in your fungly quilt? :) Maybe a sashing or boarder. I think it might play ok with the blocks you already have put together.... although I like the secondary pattern that shows up without sashings. :)

    Maybe you can start a Mr Linky thing for anyone doign the challange so we can also take a peek at their blocks?

    Love from Texas! ~bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Bonnie,
    Fantastics!! Sooo much fun! Count me in your challenge as I'm sure I have some "uglies" in my stash. :o)
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  20. VERY ugly. What are you smoking we know what you've been eating.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Bonnie
    This is an awesome idea! I'm thinking of even visiting my Mom to dig through her ugly fabrics!
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for inspiring me! I've nominated you for a blog award.... The Brillant Weblog. Check out my blog for the details.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Well, I see you finally used the lips/smile fabric that I sent you. I knew a Quilt Maverick would find a place for them. Way to go, Bonnie! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Bonnie, I can't wait to play with my ugly fabric! Thank you and Tonya for being so inspirational!
    Moe

    ReplyDelete
  25. These are great!!! It always feels so good to use up fabrics you have had laying around, then of course you get to go buy more, as you could be running out!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great idea. I see you found a use for that lobster fabric I sent you.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anonymous2:46 AM EDT

    hi bonnie, what a great idea, i can't wait to play! that lobster fabric is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  28. When my children wore clothes that didn't match, I told them that it hurt my eyes! I can say the same about these combinations of fabrics. The pieces just aren't small enough yet! right??

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh, I'm so offended! I have some of those fabrics and I didn't consider them to be uglies! Well, I NEVER....
    Bahahaha! It just goes to show, one quilter's trash is another quilter's treasure.
    (Actually, most of them ARE pretty bad.)
    What fun.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I haven't been quilting long enough to have amassed much of a stash. But I'm making note of this idea because I know that someday I'll be in need of a fungly project.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)