>>>>

Thursday, August 08, 2024

Time To Wander -


Last week when leaving my chiropractor's office - I looked at my watch to see that I had 45 minutes before the antique mall that I hadn't visited in quite some time would be closing.

Now, 45 minutes is usually not enough for me - but since the only other things on my evening plate were driving home to fix dinner (Ha!) I decided to take the 45 minutes just for a mind reset and a wander.

Vintage sewing machines and quilts had been a rare occurrence over the past several trips so I was less than hopeful.  But look!

Singer Red Eye - an early one!  How can I tell?

The presser foot is back clamping, not a side screw.

Knowing I only had 45 minutes I didn't stop to check out the serial number.  I just gave her handwheel a good turn and wished her well and moved on.


Another! 27? 127?

And I am noticing that these are outrageously priced.  Does someone think they should compare in value to Featherweights or something?

Just imagine all of the sewing that was done on this one - decals are worn completely off.  That's a sign of a well loved and hard used machine. I would have loved to have known the owner. We'd likely be kindred spirits.


Couldn't get into this one for the doll house.

Loved seeing both!


1960s Emdeko, made in Japan.


Sweet Ohio Star quilt.


Heavy batting and diagonal line quilting.


Early applique beauty -

This one was folded and tied to the place it was hanging.  Like - do they want you to see the whole thing/ Or not?


Some kind of cox comb variation.

I'm guessing mid 1800s or close? The blues sed to be green. Over time the yellow dye on the blue fades away leaving the blue behind. I bet it was ones a beauty! Look at the quilting in the center of the red flower.


Mosaic blocks in yellow and green set with pink!

Notice how the sashing and cornerstones are at the edges of only 2 sides. The top and bottom are just bound.  Was this to keep the quilt rectangular for the bed?


Triple line diagonals as quilting in the sashings -

Straight lines through the squares in the blocks.


Someone's grandma probably worked on her gingham cathedral window forever. Sweet!


And this came home - cross stitch on linen.

It was too sweet to leave behind.

THIS did NOT come home:


Weird thing of the day -

Lucite Queen Anne chair? LOL! What WERE they thinking?


Yesterday was a whir of activity getting the inn ready for the Tada Quilters' arrival.

But early afternoon provided me with enough time to do some border additions on my Diamond Tile quilt.

I added the neutral floating border, and then chose a pink fabric that would work with the green with pink dots I plan on using for the final border.

Sew Q Laser shining brightly as I join the border strips on the diagonal.


All that remains is the outer border!


Mabel being camera shy.

She doesn't like it when we hold the phones up in front of our faces.  LOL!



It's time for drawing our 2 winners of the Road Trip Boxes from Summit St Shop.

I've been using them to store my kitted up block parts - and all of my wonderclips are kept together in one to keep them corralled. 

They are also great for holding quilting, sewing, knitting, and scrapbooking supplies. Snacks, make up, toiletries, jewelry, and trinkets too. 

Put some goodies inside and give as a gift! Pack up and take to a retreat! Boxes feature nice smooth edges and a super cute design on the lid. 

  • Made of: Plastic
  • Use: Storage and Organization
  • Size: 7in x 7in x 1-1/2in Tall

  • Summit St Shop is in Webberville, Michigan!  Are you within driving distance?

    They spent a year and a half renovating a historic church building into a storefront open to the public.. 

    Summit St Shop carries quilting fabric, of course - but also decor, gifts and more!

    And yes, you can order online. Summit St Boxes are currently on sale as well, and there is free shipping on orders over $75.00 within the USA.


    Who is entry 1085 out of 3466 entries?


    Vicki Bartels!


    And entry 3422 is:


    Sandy Smith!

    Ladies, please find the email notification in your inbox sent to the email address included in your entry. Check spam folders and promotion folders as necessary.  

    Please reply back to that email with your mailing address and I'll have Jordan at Summit St Shop get your Road Trip Boxes out to you!

    Thanks for playing along, everyone!

    Tomorrow I'll be hosting a gift-away for Bruce Leonard's newest mystery novel Hard Exit which released on Amazon on Tuesday!

    Read more about Hard Exit on Wednesday's Post.

    And I think that catches me up to now - time to grab a quick breakfast, pack my lunch and head over to greet the TaDa Quilters! 

    What do you have going on today?


    Quiltville Quote of the Day -

    And the weirdness over things showing up that we did not discuss in public continues! ⁣
    Sometimes, it's wonderful or funny, and sometimes it's downright creepy!

    Have a terrific Thursday, everyone!



     

    10 comments:

    1. BARBARA BRATT9:40 AM EDT

      i have an emdeko, belonged to my husband's mother. it's in a cabinet and being used to stitch on bindings - so that it will get some exercise each month or so

      ReplyDelete
    2. Love it when you share your Antique Mall finds!

      ReplyDelete
    3. Congratulations to both Ladies!
      That Emdeko is so pretty. Someone will pick it up. The quilts were fun to look at. Especially yours with the pink border. Looks so good.
      Kisses to Mabel and Zoey please.
      I started quilting on my Bristol but
      My back interfered so I had to stop.
      Still thinking of a name for the Star quilt. "Stars of Virginia " is all I can come up with.
      Have a great day 💗

      ReplyDelete
    4. I volunteer at a re-sale shop called House by the Side of the Road! We have several cross-stitch pieces like yours that we have framed and put on the walls. We accept good quality donations of clothes and household items and "shoppers" come and take what they need. It is set up somewhat like a Goodwill store, with check-in and check-out and limits on some items. Our funding is all donor/grant generated and no one gets paid.
      I got my 1927 Singer for free- a neighbor had left it on the curb! Once hubby bought a few parts and cleaned it up it was good to go!

      ReplyDelete
    5. As a cross stitcher also, it makes me happy to see a finished piece live on in a place it is loved.

      ReplyDelete
    6. Anonymous10:45 AM EDT

      Thanks for posting photos of old quilts and old sewing machines found on your journeys - I can appreciate them and not feel the need to buy!

      ReplyDelete
    7. Meta is listening... love the pink border. I have a Red Eye. Glad to see you found some machines and Quilts. Weird Queen Anne Chair. Yep! What were they thinking

      ReplyDelete
    8. Anonymous3:28 PM EDT

      I like visiting antique malls with you! The sewing machine reminds me of the Singer that has space program shape.

      ReplyDelete
    9. what a sweet post today!! I just loved the quilts you found... more ideas to float around in the ole noggin! :) That Emdeko looked just like my old Singer machine that I bind on. Very cool, as were the Singers that you posted. I agree with your weird find of the day... WHAT were they thinking?! HA!
      Great quote for the day. I was looking at Sketchers shoes. Now that 's plastered all over your blog when I am trying to read it!! HA!HA!! Thank goodness tomorrow is Friday!

      ReplyDelete
    10. Oh Bonnie - you missed an opportunity with that Lucite chair. Just think what it would be like with a beautiful cushion on the porch at Quiltville. A purr-fect throne for Queen Tula!!

      ReplyDelete

    If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

    Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

    Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)