>>>>

Friday, August 30, 2024

Piles of Strings and Scrappy Things!


It was this kind of day yesterday.

My friend Kathy is on retreat with the September Quiltvillians - and when she arrived Wednesday she came bearing one brown grocery sack (with handles!) full of hunks and chunks, and a full 13-gallon kitchen trash bag full of strings and strips.

And another bag full of shirts to recycle!

I've been over the moon since - but it wasn't until yesterday (Thursday) that I was able to dig in and see just what was in this windfall.
It is truly the most fun seeing the fabrics that have come from other people's projects - imagining what they've used where and what it was made into.


I started with the brown bag of bigger hunks and chunks - and sorted things by color family.

Pieces larger than half a fat quarter will be filed in with the fat quarters for future projects.

This less than half a fat-quarter will be stripped down and put into my Scrap User's System.


And then there are the string piles!

My string bins are getting a great infusion of yellow, red, neutral, purple, green along with some orange and aqua, pink and grey.

I told Kathy it's fun to see what colors she has been sewing with the most lately. She lives in Florida - so she has a lot of sun-shiny beachy colors going on.


And it's not like she doesn't like strings herself!


This is a strings/selvages quilt she just finished!

Beautiful!

I'm happy to be the recipient of scraps she is ready to pass on.  I can't wait to start another string project and I look forward to including her strings in with mine - 


Kathy, chaining some Churn Dashes!


Tiny ones!


That are going into these blocks -


And into this quilt!


There were some other speedy finishes yesterday-


 Tulip Time was ready to become a top!


Star quilt newly quilted - waiting for it's binding.


And a glance at the backing.

Great job!


And another top finish for a godson - who is all about cars and trucks.  This is so cute and he will get it for Christmas. Fun way to sew up a book panel!


How many of you laughed and nodded when I posted this a couple of weeks ago?

Look what came in the mail yesterday:


This is absolutely the funniest thing ever! ⁣
I just opened a package that contained a box tied with a ribbon and when I opened it up- oh you guys!⁣
Do you remember last week I posted about an old-fashioned candy necklace but with Tums and ibuprofen as we get older? Guess what this is! Lol!⁣
Lisa Johnson of Provo utah, you are the best! This just made my day!

You guys are the best - seriously.

Especially since I've been dealing with bronchitis behind the scenes (2 days left of antibiotics to go) and recovery has been slow with this one.

So today - I've got studio things to catch up on. Desk work that I've put off and haven't felt well enough to dig into - NEEDS to happen.

And I have a chiropractor appointment this afternoon.

All this medical stuff - can we please stop needing it?! It's taking up far too much of my quilting time!


 Eclipsed has an introductory price already marked 25% off and good through 8/31/24.  Hurry now and save! 

Price reverts to full on 9/1/24.

Eclipse Inspired!

Stitch a solar eclipse of your own with fun string pieced blocks! Full color photos and diagrams included. Strings are pieced on paper foundations, PDF templates included.

Quilt Size: 70’’ X 70’’ 

I can't wait to see what you make with this one!


Quiltville Quote of the Day -

It's Friday! ⁣
Nothing else matters but quilting...and bacon.

Have a good one!


 

9 comments:

  1. Good morning.
    Boy could I use some of those strings!! I'm running low and I still have the border to make..oh well.
    Sorry for your Bronchitis. Feel better soon...
    I'll go as far as I can with the strings I've got then I'll have to start cutting ✂️ fabrics. I want to quilt this one before October.
    I should try going to the Chiropractor myself!!
    Have a great day 💗

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:12 AM EDT

    A windfall of fabric scraps and strings is so much better than one of zucchini :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:45 AM EDT

    Unfortunately the only way to decrease medical stuff is to Stop. And then who would use up your strips & scraps ? I hope to be reading your blog for at least 10 more years - provided my eyesight is still good when I'm 99 !
    Old, Old Quilter

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes a windfall indeed! I ❤️ Cathy's Strings and Selvages. I have a tote of selvages and a Big Ball of them that needs to be dealt with. It's a Fri-Yay Chiropractor day is good when you're feeling puny. I need to ice my back every morning to get going. Getting older isn't for sissies.
    Hope you get some Stitch time this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That necklace is perfect. Early in my married life, I went to a gathering/party for my husband's family which is a rather large Irish American group ~ lots of Aunts and Uncles and tons of cousins. Well, there were two pinatas, one with candy for the kiddies and the other for the Aunts and Uncles which was full of packages of Bengay, Aspirin, Bandaids, Aspercreme, Tylenol, Tums ~ you get the picture. Everyone was unaware of the contents until . . . . No one was successful in breaking this second one open until one of the Uncles went to his care and came back with a bat. I was quite a night to remember. To quote Monty Python: "Always look on the bright side of life."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous3:23 PM EDT

    With a bit of luck you’ve got the bronchitis out of the way and you won’t get sick when you are traveling in a few short weeks. Finger’s crossed. Have a great weekend. Fran in Pa.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! What a fun mess to get into!! I'm sure you will dream up something grand, as always! I hope you get to feeling better soon; it would be no fun starting your trip sick! I am so glad it's the long weekend ahead. The Mister is going on a trip tomorrow... (he's a school bus driver) & with that our lunch plans got cancelled. While I am sad about that I am looking forward to the time I can get start working on my Chilhowie sashing & start getting it together!! (With some other chain piecing in between!!) Have a fabulous weekend everyone!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous8:35 PM EDT

    I wholeheartedly agree. Nothing better than quilting and bacon especially with garden tomatoes 🍅! Betty Beard

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)