>>>>

Thursday, August 03, 2023

Cliffs of Moher, Try 2!


Do you remember my post from the first trip out to the Cliffs of Moher with group number one??

FOG FOG, NOTHING BUT FOG!

It's not like we can pre-arrange the weather or anything like that, and the fog was beautiful in its own way.

And there is beauty in the mist and the fog - it is Ireland after all!

And just to remind you of what that day was like (Or if you didn't see the video posted to Facebook or Instagram) here you go.

Click to Play:


So much fog!


The second group - a few days later.


Sunshine!  No fog!

The Cliffs of Moher remind me of the Cliffs of Insanity featured in The Princess Bride

Click to Play:


BEST MOVIE EVER!


And yes, it's very much like the Cliffs of Insanity!


The beautiful sunshine also meant massive amounts of people - so we followed the crowd up the pathway - on up to  O'Brien's Tower, a round stone tower near the midpoint of the cliffs, built in1835 by Sir Cornelius O'Brien. (I guess he wanted a round room with a view?)


On the way back down to the bus.


One last look - gorgeous!

And a little video:


I'm sorry that group one missed this.  There were things that group one got to do that group two did not. 

And as they say "If you don't like the weather in Ireland, hang around - it will change."


Oh look - another ABC! (Another blasted castle!)

Or was it a manor house??


Photos taken from the bus window as we passed.


More rain.

And in my mind I'm wondering what the clothing of the day was - the styles, the fabrics - what they did for entertainment.

The raindrops on the bus window are much like the rain that is falling outside my open sliding door right now.  It started raining in the wee small hours.  It will continue all day -

Which means it is perfect quilting weather for the August Quiltvillians who arrived last evening.

The dogs, however are not impressed.  I don't blame them.

What's going on in your world this Thursday?


Quiltville Quote of the Day -

Interests become passions, passions become skills and accomplishments.
They also become our life line when needed.
Embrace the learning curve!

Have a terrific day, everyone!


 

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for the video of the group 2 Cliffs of Moher. A number of years ago on my bus tour trip to Ireland our first morning first stop was The Cliffs of Moher...it was so foggy could not see a thing,,,now I can see how beautiful they were! I so enjoy your daily blog ...I met you when you taught at my quilt guild in Falls Church Virginia before you had even published your first book --such great memories of all the classes I have taken from you during past years and two Jim West trips with you to Tuscany and Bavaria and Austria!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Testing the Drive to Tri-Cities with my aching back. places to go and people to see. Riding in the car for long rides hurts. Been trying to sit at the Sewing machine, but can't do it with the icepack, lol. What's a Quilter to do when she can't sit to Quilt?? Thinking and planning my next Challenge Quilt. Wild Flowers is the theme. Have a good Thursday in the rain. no rain on my side of Washington.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been so busy with LIFE this last few weeks (caravaning, family, cleaning doctors, but I got up at 4am and you came up..I've realised how much I've missed you Bonnie! Always followed you- even with 6months of long covid, NO sewing, but things are looking up- so today I will sew YOUR blocks..that are still havlf made from years passed. sewing is like Yoga, calming! Thank you for posting please keep it going. Hugs from Brisbane!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:57 PM EDT

    On our tour of Ireland, we were told Mr. O'Brien wanted a good vista to show all his guests up from the big cities - hence the tower. Did some of you notice the fossilized sea creatures in the black steps? Karen from CA

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy to see the world!! Thank you. What a delightful trip you had. Im making coasters for Christmas. Yes, its on its way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Cliffs were used in filming the Princess Bride. I had great weather the day we climbed up to the tower, but my aching legs!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)