>>>>

Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Turning Corners!


I promised I'd share photos of my freehand Baptist fans and the thrill (HA!) of turning a corner.

The best things about fans?  You just quilt them until they run off the edge.

If you look closely you can see that my lines are neither totally straight - nor completely evenly spaced.  That's just the way it goes with eyeballing something - and that is where excitement lies.

Sure, I do the best I can - but I'm not worried if a line wobbles or one arc is closer to the one below it than the one above it.  

I am stopping my quilting just shy of 1/4'' from the edge where it will be covered by the binding.

You can see that a partial fan was needed to fill that last remaining gap before I can turn the corner.


Here I've turned - starting with the small quarter circle that connects to the top line of the partial fan I just quilted.

I am quilting 7 arcs in each fan continuously. This means the inner quarter-circle is quilted form the top down toward the edge of the quilt and the needle travels through the inside of the quilt to the next arc which is quilted from bottom to top.  The 3rd arc is then quilted from the top to the bottom.

Somewhere in each fan I am going to have to end my thread and start a new length - so I try to do that when reaching either the bottom or the top of an arc so I don't have knots in the middle of a line of quilting.

Not having to mark my fans is making this go rather quickly - I'm already half way up that second side!


Of course, Zoey slows me down just a bit.  LOL!

More posts on Baptist Fans:


After yesterday's post I had questions from folks wanting to see the "lunch" basket I picked up at the thrift shop. It was $3.00.  How could I resist?

I love these sturdy reddy kinds of baskets - not sure what the plant is, but it's strong. And just the right size for packing a salad, a yogurt and some sliced fresh strawberries, a cheese stick or two, a beverage and my bottle of salad dressing.

And it makes me happier than hauling everything in a recycled grocery sack.

It's the little things, right?


This also came from Forest Jane yesterday -

Straight from our Quiltville Zazzle Store!


The mugs usually say "I'd Rather Be Quilting With Bonnie!" on the backside - but for mine, she customized it with one of my favorite mantras.

Thank you so much, FJ!  I love the 15 oz size - and I've used it already.  It's my new favorite.

Do you have yours yet?


Yesterday's sewing escapade -

Such a happy color to be working with - in fact most of these scraps were left from my own Chilhowie quilt!  It's fun to be playing with them again.


I spy a sheepie!

I had to put that in there from a scrap that Tonni gave me while on retreat with the February Quiltvillians.  TOO CUTE!

I can't wait to show you how/where these are going to land, but it's going to be a while yet.

The next color up?  RED!  Ooohhh...can't wait!

Today?  The Lincoln Quilt Guild from Lincolnton, NC is arriving around 4pm!  I'm so excited to have them come stay for the weekend.

Friend Martha will be over to help me make the beds while Housekeeper Susan works her magic and getting the inn spit-spot and just so.

And if there is time in between bed making and retreater arrival?

I'll be back at my machine working on the rest of these tangerine babies!

What's up for your Wednesday?


Did you enter the Gift-Away? Drawing happens 2/27/23!

I'll be drawing for two lucky winners to each receive a Butterfly Kisses PDF pattern AND a gorgeous True Colors fabric roll from Cotton to Quilts!

This solids color roll is just the ticket to pump up your solids collection and add some pizazz!

To kick all of this scrappy fun off big time, I've placed Butterfly Kisses at 25% off in both the the Quiltville Store and the Quiltville Etsy Pattern Shop through 2/28/23.

And of course Chilhowie is also 25% off through 2/28/23 in both the Quiltville Store and the Quiltville Etsy Pattern Shop.


Quiltville Quote of the Day -

This is a hard concept for me to grasp.
But we have to slow down long enough so inspiration can come in.
Winnie the Pooh was a wise old bear.
Be sure to leave yourself some margins in your own daily life!

Have a wonderful Wednesday, everyone!


 

2 comments:

  1. I always am reminding my self that sometimes watching the ducks eat

    The corn I spread in winter or my dogs playing is just right. Or that reading a book is not a waste. That quality beats out quantity in the world I live in. And that Gid gifted me with hospitality and that plays out in many ways. Random gifted meals, charity quilts and phone calls or visits to lonely friends. Yes it is all perfection in the space time continuum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the twin of your basket, bought new in 1974 for cookery class at school. I remember going to the shop to pick it out. The shop isn't there anymore, that whole part of town was flattened and rebuilt but the basket is still going strong. It's willow, or mine is at least.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)