>>>>

Monday, February 20, 2023

A Weekend In The Strings!


This is where things currently stand with my current string star project.

Oh my gosh!  It's better than I thought it would be - 

Even son Jeff, who came over for breakfast and a visit yesterday (best highlight of the weekend!) said - "Wow mom!  That is just so cool!"

That's the best approval in the world, isn't it? When one of your kids jumps in with thumbs up?

There was only one problem.

All of my Saturday sewing used up ALL of the neutral string triangles, so you know what that means for Sunday? Yup!


Just me and an audio book, stringing up more neutrals!


A huge batch, ready to depaper during feet up time tonight.

I know I will need more than this, but this will allow me to continue on with assembly until I run out again. 

My neutrals are wild. (I suppose that's not new to anyone!) and some of them I have used upside down as the front side was just too busy or too colorful to work well.

Remember - you always have that option!  You paid for both sides of the fabric, so use them!


I see Steelers, Packers, and some dancing skeletons!


And Oscar the Grouch!

A juvenile Sesame Street print has so much neutral that I stripped it up to use here - and I love seeing my favorite characters pop up every now and then.


Here's Bert!

I'm not sure where Ernie is yet.


Betty Boop made Jeff laugh.

Quilts should include things that make us happy, right?


One outside wanting in.

One inside wanting out!

Just don't let them out at the same time or they will take off up the mountain and be gone for 6 hours.  LOL!

Yesterday afternoon we took some time out over at the inn - while I filled mail order ready to go out today, The Hubster used a heavy roller attachment behind his mower to flatten the lawn and get it ready for spring/summer mowing.


We have a vole infestation that has left the lawn at the inn soft and squishy- we've tried all kinds of things to get them to move out, but every winter they tunnel and tunnel and make a mess of things.

So yesterday was about flattening their tunnels and hopefully getting them to move out.

We also researched and found an article stating they do not like Castor oil. (Who does?!)  So spraying Castor oil on the grass with a backpack sprayer may get them to move further away to areas that don't have it.

There are some old wives' tales that have merit - and some that don't.  But we won't know if we don't try.

We have tried the ultrasonic "Stick this stake in the ground and it will beep every 30 seconds and they don't like that..." thing - and it does nothing.  I actually think they LIKE it. As in "heed the siren call and move more in." Argh.

So that is one method that has failed.

Other methods suggest "humane" trapping and releasing, and I tell you - there are just too many and I'm not feeling that humane right now.

But if the Castor oil works...great.

If it doesn't - at least they'll have a scorching case of the runs from eating it.

I've got some setting up at the Inn today to get everything ready for the arrival of the Lincoln Quilt Guild retreat from Lincolnton, NC on Wednesday afternoon!  There is quilty fun in store.

And after bookwork and other desk type jobs are tackled - some sewing machine time.

What do you have in store for today and the week ahead?


Did you enter the Gift-Away? Drawing happens 2/27/23!

I'll be drawing for two lucky winners to each receive a Butterfly Kisses PDF pattern AND a gorgeous True Colors fabric roll from Cotton to Quilts!

This solids color roll is just the ticket to pump up your solids collection and add some pizazz!

To kick all of this scrappy fun off big time, I've placed Butterfly Kisses at 25% off in both the the Quiltville Store and the Quiltville Etsy Pattern Shop through 2/28/23.

And of course Chilhowie is also 25% off through 2/28/23 in both the Quiltville Store and the Quiltville Etsy Pattern Shop.


Quiltville Quote of the Day -

Strive to become better, not bitter.
I love the simplicity of this one, and my recycled shirt fabrics are calling my name loudly!

(SQUIRREL!!!)
Have a terrific Monday, everyone!



 

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous6:15 PM EST

    I’ve tried the castor oil and it does work

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)