>>>>

Saturday, February 18, 2023

String Star Progress -


The exciting part - but also the very pin-matchy part has begun.

Row 3 has been added, and it is really fun to see the design emerge with each addition.

But that pin-matchy thing?  Yeah.  It slows me down! LOL!

I think that's why I love half-square and quarter-square triangles and squares or rectangles.  Anything with right angles is easier for me to just nest the seams and forgo the pins.

But equilateral triangles?  It's all about attempted point matching. (Notice I said ATTEMPTED!) which means pins, pins and more pins.


I've bent pins (and broken sewing machine needles in the process) before.  I will also admit to miss removing some pins - unnoticeable even after pressing - and those pins have been later discovered INSIDE the quilt - AFTER quilting.

So I now force myself to slow down, enjoy the process. I stitch right up to the next pin, and when I am about a stitch away, remove the pin so I am sure they are all out of the quilt top. 

I can't even count how many quilts have a hidden pin head somewhere between the layers due to the use of pliers to remove the rediscovered and offending pin from the head, leaving the little beady thing inside.

If you are nodding with me - we are in good company!


Looking good so far!


At 7:30am it was a brisk 17 degrees.  My plan is to stay in today and just build more rows and see how far I can go before I have to stop production to make more blue and neutral string triangles.


This design is going to need many more blue and neutral than it does the colors - in fact - the needed colors are all done as shown on the far right.

But I couldn't wait to start building it and actually see it coming together - so I'll make more as needed.

This project has become the "sew at home" project and has been turned to when The Hubster has an archery tournament (like today) or we are in the middle of an ice storm (as in last Sunday) so it will grow slowly.

Likely until I reach that half-way mark, then watch out - all bets are off!

Yesterday was a haircut road trip with friend Martha, and we also snatched up her 87 year old mama for the ride.

We whisked her off to lunch at the Derby in Mt Airy, NC, followed by a spree of several stores before finally arriving for our triple haircut appointment at 2pm.

I think we wore her out!  And it did us all so much good.

The crazy thing was that it was 51 degrees yesterday morning when I left the QPO for Martha's.  By the time we got back up the mountain it was 39 and falling rapidly.

By dinner time it was 25.  Seriously.

This morning it was a brisk 17 when the dogs woke me up at 5am to go out.

But was there snow?  NOPE!  It's bright and sunny and is supposed to be back up in the 40s by afternoon.

We've had a ton of rain this winter, but zero snow accumulation.

I'm not knocking it - but in the 6 years we've lived here (6 years in just a few weeks!) this is the first winter where I didn't have to park at the bottom of the drive due to ice and snow.

He won't admit it, but I think the Hubs is a bit sad that he hasn't needed to tractor-plow the drive to save the day.


Last night's feet up and quilting -

I've passed the half-way mark on the first side!


While I love this batting, it does shed little linty fibers everywhere.

That's one of the reasons I hurry up and bind the quilt after quilting around all 4 sides - so I can minimize the fluffs that are everywhere. They really show up on dark solid fabrics like this.

I would love to reach the next corner by bedtime tonight - then I can take some photos and share how to turn the corner with fans and start up the next side.


Happy Caturday, everyone!

This is Lola from yesterday when I came in after returning from our haircut adventure day to fill a couple of mail order things and make sure she was fed and watered and loved upon before heading home.


Did you enter the Gift-Away? Drawing happens 2/27/23!

I'll be drawing for two lucky winners to each receive a Butterfly Kisses PDF pattern AND a gorgeous True Colors fabric roll from Cotton to Quilts!

This solids color roll is just the ticket to pump up your solids collection and add some pizazz!

To kick all of this scrappy fun off big time, I've placed Butterfly Kisses at 25% off in both the the Quiltville Store and the Quiltville Etsy Pattern Shop through 2/28/23.

And of course Chilhowie is also 25% off through 2/28/23 in both the Quiltville Store and the Quiltville Etsy Pattern Shop.


Quiltville Quote of the Day -

Because yes. This is my life now.

And maybe yours, too?
Have a wonderful weekend, everyone!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)