>>>>

Friday, February 03, 2023

Visiting Goldfield, AZ!


Back in the 1890′s Goldfield boasted 3 saloons, a boarding house, general store, blacksmith shop, brewery, meat market and a schoolhouse. And a brothel.

Today, it's open for tourists who come from all over to experience just a tiny slice of Arizona's wild, wild west along the Apache Trail.

It may be kitschy but I am an enthusiastic tourist when it comes to things like this. I love to walk through, poke around, see what's what.


Even as the skies were turning a bit moody, there were things to photograph!


This was later in the afternoon on our homeward bound leg after visiting Tortilla Flat.

It's amazing how the mountains change in appearance and color as the sun moves and the clouds roll in. The shadows definitely add an air of mystique.

Of course, you can see how touristy things are with all of the cars - license plates from everywhere.


Dad, getting in his best shot of the mountains.


Fun eateries and shops for trinkets.


I love this kind of stuff - so fun to wander!


No room in the suitcase!

But I love the whimsey of this yard art!


Stepping back to take in the whole scene.


From another angle - the sun shining a bit down the front side.


Too close to closing time to tour the museum -


I love the old tractor out front of the saloon!

Dad in the red sweatshirt is moving at his own pace ahead of me.


Just super cute!


Behind all of the main street stuff is the mine - and we were too late for that tour as well, but that didn't mean I couldn't try to capture the feel of the place - I'm constantly amazed how well my cell phone camera does the job.


Toto, I don't think we're in Virginia any more!


Definitely seen better days!


I'm glad they've been able to preserve this little ghost town for tourists and travelers alike to enjoy.


More scene shots, from every which angle -


This was really a fun stop!

Now that I'm back home I'm facing temps that won't leave the 20s today. Brrrrr!

It's the kind of day where you don't even want to warm up the car and go anywhere.


Rinsing away the Sulky Stick n' Stitch!

My first day back in the studio was mostly a day of catching up on a week's worth of mail order to get that out as quickly as I could.  But I did have some time to rinse away the overlay on my little stitchery project for my travelers this year.


Blocked and trimmed!

I have a plan for borders - it's going to be simple and cute and "Oh, just right!" 


This is also your reminder that Forever Mine is currently 25% off through 2/14 in both the Quiltville Store and the Quiltville Etsy Pattern Shop. No coupon needed!  

Price discount good through 2/14/23.


Okay - time to brave this cold and get myself in gear to do something with this day.

What plans do you have?


Quiltville Quote of the Day -

Start the daily practice of not letting the little things bother you.
If the little things ruin your day, what's going to happen when the big things come along?
Happy Friday, Peeps!


 

8 comments:

  1. I've visited Tortilla Flats and drove along Apache Trail! It was a wonderful place to visit! Thanks for sharing the pictures! Brought back some great memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the pictures. They were great. Definitely captured that Arizona feeling. I love the tourist thing too. So much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry your temps are lower than normal. My weather app says it's -12 (F, not C!) right now here in Minnesota. I won't miss the negatives when March rolls around! My husband came home last night with road salt all over his navy parka, so I sent him off with my "Alaska" parka this morning while I wash his. Brrrr!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cell phones pictures are easier to upload. Instant gratification. Thanks for sharing. I have a lunch date with my Sister. It's a Family Reunion when we get together ❤️.
    Staying warm in my house until I have to! Hubby has his annual Dr Appointment. It's his Birthday Month now. Happy Fri-Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing AZ with us with the fun pictures. Those cactus are really something! I am meeting up with a quilty friend for lunch today. A fun outing! Our temps are pretty much the same as yours. I don't complain after living in ND for a lot of years. This is nothing! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks so warm out there! I too am facing cold weather and the wind hurts your eyeballs here. Could you share a bit more about the stick n stitch? I've never heard of it but also have only dabbled in embroidery

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing the photos, what a fun place to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the cacti with hats and moustaches!!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)