>>>>

Thursday, February 09, 2023

Quilting Little Things:


Oh, the joy of small do-able projects and quick finishes!

As I tackled the cleaning out of the utility/linens room at Quiltville Inn earlier this week - refolding and replacing PILES of big quilts. (I love big quilts, and I can not lie!) I was feeling a bit overwhelmed.

Friend Martha stepped in with these kind words while we were making beds on Tuesday morning:

"Just look at this legacy! Look at what you've made - all of the designing, the piecing, the quilting - MILES of binding!  It's something to be proud of!"

And all I felt was buried underneath SO MUCH.

It's all good - it can all be gifted away at some point.  It will all go into good hands in due time.

But this little ditty - this lovely small project that my travelers to Vietnam, Egypt and Italy and yes, the newly announced tour to New Zealand in 2024 will be making as our travel project has brought me so much happiness over the past few weeks. I can't wait!


It barely took any time at all to get it loaded into the machine.

And I had a scrap of batting just the right size - 


A simple pattern in a small scale - it blends right in to the linen and doesn't interrupt the effect of the embroidery at all.


Binding ready to stitch down!

When times are hectic and I can't seem to find time to do much else - I think I'm going to be sticking more small projects into the mix.

2 weeks from start to finish? I can do this.  It made me happy.  It didn't take much fabric at all (This could be a bad thing..I have so much to sew up!) but best of all:

It's going to take a whole lot of small quilts to fill what remaining closet space I have.  And way less guilt over "What do I do with all of these!?"

Just for fun - I was going back through some old photos and found this antique mall jaunt from Spring, TX a few years back:

Remember this?

20170206_124509

Oh look!  A Mid-Century Hi-Fi!

Or is it?

20170206_124429

Oh ho!  It's a Necchi Supernova!

20170206_124207

The doors in the front slide to the side,

20170206_124236

The bottom panel pushes up and back!

20170206_124358

And the manuals and tools and attachments are all here.

20170206_124449

It was only $129???

I hope someone snatched this up and is happily sewing away on it. I've never come across another sewing cabinet like this one - and that Necchi machine? FANTASTIC!

And please - I hope no one made it into a BAR for crying out loud!


Chilhowie has now been retired as a free mystery, has been rewritten, and is now presented to you as a PDF pattern booklet for purchase.

It is available in both the Quiltville Store and the Quiltville Etsy Pattern Shop!

Nine-patches, Four-patches, Hourglass units and other quilter’s favorites combine in an explosion of color! 

Pattern includes 20 pages of full-color photos, graphics, and detailed instruction for your ultimate scrappy success!

All of the hints, tips, tricks and construction options we went through during mystery season are included so you can make Chilhowie YOUR way.

The best part?  No more scrambled parts and wondering which units go where.  It's all laid out for you step-by-step in a cohesive manner.

Quilt Size: 78’’ X 78’’

Optional but helpful: Essential Triangle Tool and either the Simple folded Corners ruler, or the Simple Folded Corners Mini.

Traditional rotary cutting methods are given for those who don't have access to these rulers.

And yes, there is a gift-away!  I'll be drawing for 2 winners to each receive  Chilhowie in PDF booklet form on Monday 2/13/23!

Introductory Special:

Chilhowie PDF Pattern Booklet is now 25% off through 2/28/23.  No coupon needed!  Hurry now and save!

Pattern reverts to full on 3/1/23.


Don't forget: Forever Mine is 25% off as well through 2/14/23.

And just when I was feeling safe that we'd missed this bullet this winter:


Let it be said that I have some retreaters at Quiltville Inn who are absolutely giddy at the thought of spending their retreat snowed in until Tuesday when they have to go home.

Looking at Monday - it will all be melted by the time they leave which is the best news of all.

It was in the low 60s yesterday? It's been a teaser all week - complete with the pink blooming tree photo that Martha sent yesterday.

Oh, this is going to be fun.  Somewhat.  LOL!


Quiltville Quote of the Day -

This goes without saying.
Focus on what you have, not what you don't.

In other words: Keep your eye upon the donut and not upon the hole! (And I guess that includes the possibility of Snow Day/Sew Days too!)

Have a lovely Thursday, everyone!


 

5 comments:

  1. Nice small project. Do you ever do custom quilting on your quilts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not any more. I've been quilting since 1995 and gave up custom when I computerized my longarm due to not enough time in my life - and I just didn't love custom as I used to. Besides, it doesn't show on my uber scrappy quilts - and the piecing is where my love is. I just want texture that adds to the piecing. I don't do negative space.

      Delete
  2. I love the border on your little kltty quilt is that your own design and is it available?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm planning a summer release for this one, stay tuned!

      Delete
  3. Such a sweet little kitty stitch! Did you draw this out yourself? The finishing borders really set it off nicely.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)