>>>>

Monday, January 30, 2023

Four Family Birthdays!


Three generations and four birthdays!

January has always been the time I come to Arizona - since the time my boys were little.

It was a way to celebrate our January/February birthdays while my Grannie was still alive, and of course it gave us a well needed break from the winter doldrums when we lived in Idaho.

Starting at the left - My dad is turning 83 in less than 2 weeks.  My niece Emilee has her birthday tomorrow.  Then there is me, with my birthday last week.

Next up is my new brother-in-law Todd who has his birthday in just a few days.

Not seen - Melissa who was at the other end of the table, celebrating her birthday on January 1st.

The weekend has been full of family visits and making up for lost time - which is why there was no weekend post.

The time is passing far to quickly - I head home on a morning flight tomorrow morning, so there won't be a Tuesday post as well - but I'll be able to catch up (and catch my breath) once I return home.

With Dad being 83 - there has been a LOT of TV watching.  I'm not used to that as I stated in an earlier post - at least not without something to stitch in my lap.

We had planned to go to the history museum, but found they were closed on Sunday/Monday so that resulted in MORE TV watching.

I'm such a normally "Busy" person that this has been truly difficult for me in so many ways.


I spent Friday after noon at my sis-in-law Sharolyn's house where on my way out after a lovely long visit she handed me a box with a selection of my brother Mark's shirts.  This brought tears.

Yes, there will be more quilts out of recycled shirts in my future - and that lovely white plaid is one I remember him wearing.  


I have gotten dad to walk around the central pond area here in Sun Lakes with me twice now - and I'm so happy to have gotten him out of his house.

This is a shot showing the grassy area and the lovely sidewalks. I love this part of his community.

He tends to just do his exercises and his walking inside the house - and maybe that's his comfort zone not wanting to get too far from home, but to have him in the sunshine and fresh air was something I wanted to accomplish - 

We stopped to take photos of things he found interesting on our walk:


There were actually two of these matching.

These smaller park homes with postage stamp yards provide really cute spaces for folks to share their creativity with how they decorate their patios.


How about these pot people!


Super cute!

Of course, this was my favorite part:


The foot has been behaving - and if I can get out and walk this a couple of times more while I'm still here, I think I am well on the way to being able to walk/hike this spring when the weather improves at home.

(Not looking forward to what I am arriving home to!)

Today our plan is to drive out to Tortilla Flats for some more photo opportunities and lunch out.  I'm looking forward to that.


Homemade lemon cake with Sharolyn's backyard lemons!

It was a wonderful family birthday celebration weekend!

I'm feeling ready to come home.  I really am.  It's been a wonderful week and I'm so grateful for the time I've had to be with dad, but home is calling.

I do have a 3 hour layover in Atlanta tomorrow afternoon - so I think I'll occupy my time there drawing the winners of our Unchained Gift-Away then. 

In the mean time:
I have placed the PDF patterns for UnchainedWinter Blues and Forever Mine at 25% off in both the Quiltville Store and the Quiltville Etsy Pattern Shop. No coupon needed!  

But hurry -  Unchained and Winter blues are only 25% off through TOMORROW 1/31/23.  Forever Mine pricing good through 2/14/23.


Quiltville Quote of the Day -

Oh, the things a quilt can teach us!
Have a wonderful Monday, everyone!
Vintage Dresden plate quilt found in North Carolina


 

9 comments:

  1. Treasured time. Next year you could bring a binding project you can leave in AZ. Up way too early in the PNW. Happy Monday for Stitching, pressing and trimming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, live in a "mobile home park" -- nada mobile about 'em... all manufactured homes, most triple wide (2000 sq ft) and we own our own lots, just the right size for us seniors!! Love the white picket fences that tie all your neighbors together! and the yard art is really fun... I'll wager you will not ever travel anywhere again without a stitch project and your busy bag... but oh, how wonderful to hear of your visits and celebrations... it's wet, cold and a bit windy here the past few days, safe travels home, hugs and celebrations... there really is 'no place like home'... Cats in Carlsbad CA

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy that you were able to have time to spend with your Dad and know you
    will be glad to get home as we all seem to feel that way.. Be safe on your way back
    to your happy place.. Its hard to be still when you use to being a busy bee isn't it..
    Thanks for the mystery this years and all the others too..
    MaryLou

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonnie I love reading about your adventures every morning!! I know this time with your Dad has been precious and full of memory making moments. The Pot People are one of my favorite memories from our time living in Arizona. Safe travels home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Safe travels and AZ is a great idea for the 2023 Quilt Mystery! The desert colors would be so warming for a January reveal!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That cake looks delish!!!!! Glad you had a good trip to see your Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a wonderful birthday present for all of you. Time together is great. What a beautiful place for your dad to live. My mom enjoyed getting out and walking most of her life. Thanks for sharing your moments in time. So precious. And your brothers' shirts! Oh my, roller coaster feelings I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wondered about your foot. It's almost baby pony time in your neck of the woods and we don't want to miss those. Glad you had such a good time with your Dad and family. Polly

    ReplyDelete
  9. So happy that you've had such a great visit with your Dad and family! Seeing Mark's shirts and hearing you talk about it almost brought me to tears because I remember you going through that. But how wonderful it will be to use them in a future quilt of lasting memories! Safe travels to you!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)