>>>>

Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Some Days Are For Pinning!

20180710_125652
There is a reason I usually choose to use cornerstones with sashing in a quilt. 

The cornerstones are a way to keep everything aligned from row to row – a check point of where things need to meet, nest, and match up keeping the rows above and the rows below in line with each other.

But with some designs – as in the attic window setting I’m using for my Diamond Tile blocks – sashing without cornerstones must happen.

And for the effect to be right – intersections need to be just right.

This is my little trick for making sure that the process is mostly painless, if not exactly pin-less.

20180710_121007

It all starts here, before pressing that long sashing strip up.

My rows were already sashed between the individual blocks.  Check out yesterday’s post!

IMG_20180710_132614_426

I measured the rows to determine the length of my long sashing strips.

Wonder of wonders, miracle of miracles – I had enough yardage of this red chicken wire print to cut them on the lengthwise grain of the fabric, not the cross-grain which would mean I would have to piece them.  

NO PIECING makes me a happy girl when it comes to this kind of sashing.

I cut my sashings to length and began.

I stitched the long sashing to the top of the row, and then before pressing, grabbed a fine point sharpie (any marker that does not heat erase will do) and made two little marks, measuring the sashing between the blocks beneath.

It’s quick and easy to do this on top of the ironing board before pressing.  Once you’ve marked all of your intersections, press.

Isn't the 3-D look this quilt is getting just FUN?

20180710_123647

Pin this row to the next one..matching marks to seams underneath.

20180710_122858

YES!  No “Shift Happening” here!

I thought I was going to get this top together yesterday while waiting for mailers to arrive, but guess what showed up on my doorstep about 2pm??

20180710_133813

5 cases!

That means I’ve received 6 of the 8 ordered??

I’m blaming this on the mid-week holiday!  But it was enough to dive right back in to getting orders out.

I’m hopeful that I’ll have MOST out the door by post office closing time tonight.  There may be a handful or so of those who will have to wait until I get back from Michigan – I’ll be back on Saturday and can fill Sunday.

I’m still amazed that all of these orders came in within the same 24 hour time period –a difference of just a few hours means folks were getting their orders last week, and folks are still waiting for theirs to be filled.

Come December I will have REAL hired help.  And this may mean that things are not always signed or personalized if someone else is filling orders when I’m off teaching somewhere else – but this has gotten too big for one person to handle.

It’s a good bad – but it’s all good!

My massage last night was the best I’ve had in a long long time.  A confirmation that I need to attend to more self-care in between everything else.

Check out THIS beauty!

July 10, 2018 at 09_39PM

Jamestown Landing in Red from String Fling 

This lovely photo was shared last night by my friend Kevin Womack :

“Tickets are available for this year's Peaks & Pieces Quilt Guild raffle quilt, started in our workshop with Bonnie K Hunter using her Jamestown Landing pattern. Size is 84" x 96". Drawing will be held on December 10, 2018. Tickets are $1 each or 6 for $5. You may message me on FB or email me at Kevin@KevinWomackArt.com

You could win this quilt for $1.00!  I was giggling as I shared his post yesterday, wondering if he was aware just how much activity would be filling his inbox!

If you would like to purchase some tickets for this lovely quilt, please contact Kevin at the address above.

July 11, 2018 at 07_34AM

Quiltville Quote of the Day!

I needed this giggle today, how about you?

It's 7-11 Today!  I think I'll celebrate with a Slurpee -

Happy Wednesday, friends!


9 comments:

  1. I'm a sucker for a red and cream quilt, and that one is a beauty! I've been thinking of making Jamestown Landing sometime in the future but I'd like to use black/gray and cream or maybe even purple and cream. In my quest for ways to keep everything lined up on my quilts, I've actually made cornerstones from the same fabric as my sashing strips. It's some extra stitching, but gives me matching landmarks and it has worked for me! I'll be trying your method next time. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done the 'matching cornerstones' trick too! GMTA

      Delete
  2. Bonnie you could purchase a stamp that has your name written on it for when you hire your new help. That way they could stamp your written name on whatever. If I lived closer and was a little younger I would love the job. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow the quilt in red is striking as well. Bless you Bonnie for all you do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The 3D effect of your diamond tile block is really beautiful and the sashing just makes the whole quilt pop. I love your trick and will definitely try that on next time I’m sashing I always pin sashing to make sure they stay were I want them.
    I sewed a whole row of my checkered rail fence last night and managed to jumble the blocks so now have to unsew. Thus proving check and check again before sewing. I can’t wait for my sewing room as I’m going to have a design wall then hopefully I’ll be able to avoid these mistakes.
    So pleased your mailers arrived have a great day and a safe journey today .
    Love and quilty hugs
    Anne xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:19 AM EDT

    I would love to see you demo this trick on your next quilt cam. I am an old quilter, but, this has always confabulated me.

    Seems like I never am able to catch you live, but, do enjoy your replay on You Tube. So, THANK YOU for teaching me so very much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyed your "giggle" --which is just what I did when I read it-- so thought I'd share one I saw on a friend's fb page, accompanied by a picture of a lovely cupcake: "The more you weigh, the harder you are to kidnap; Stay safe: Eat Cake!" ;-)
    Love your blog, your books, your Quiltcam, and your Youtube videos. Hope to be able to attend one of your upcoming quilt retreats in your new house: the tour was great, that porch is awesome!! Cheers, Diana (from Toronto0

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got my Slurpee with 3 Granddaughters and say 2 Grandsons were already in line for them. Fun to meet up on accident. Grandma's Quilt Camp is in full swing. Way too fun for all of us. I use cornerstones for the same reasons you describe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow..what a concept! Two pen lines...too simple! Makes my life easier!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)