>>>>

Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Mmmmmmmm! Granola!


When my friend Randy was here in October to go with me to Quilt Camp at Camp Gravatt, and then on to Charleston for our fun girls weekend, she brought along this yummy home made granola that I fell in love with!

I have since made it twice...and even my son Jeff (who prefers sugary and artificially colored cereals!) loves it!

It's perfect with yogurt, or with milk, sprinkled on top of ice cream or just as a munchie handful! Here's the recipe:

Preheat Oven to 350 degrees f.

Combine in large bowl:
5 cups old fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup sunflower seed kernels
1/2 cup toasted almonds (I bought the slivers) or other nuts (walnuts, cashews or pecans are great!)
1/2 cup coconut
3 teaspoons cinnamon
I also add raisins and or craisins or any other dried berries to the mix!

In microwavable container mix:
1/3 cup canola oil
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup brown sugar
1-2 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup maple syrup

Combine oil, honey, brown sugar, vanilla and maple syrup, heating in microwave to mix. (1 to 2 mins is enough)

Pour warm ingredients over dry and mix to combine.
Spread on large cookie sheet and bake for 30-40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Watch for browning.

Allow to cool completely (granola should be dry to the touch and not sticky at this point) and store in air tight container!

Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. I am definitely going to try this. I eat granola every single morning but it is all store bought. I have been wanting a tried and true granola recipe and here you are! Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd often wondered what granola was when reading American books. Now I know, and I might even try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Granola is a little like muesli which I learned about living in South Africa.

      Delete
  3. granola! made some for gifts last christmas; used dried cherries in one batch and dried apricots in the other....it smelled soooo good!

    sorry to hear about your move; big job for sure. me, i'd like to move someplace where I can work...

    ReplyDelete
  4. plate-o-shrimp moment! i've just been thinking of baking some granola for friends who will be visiting soon, and yr recipe is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum, yum!!! Just made my second batch!!!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)