>>>>

Monday, March 13, 2006

Out Of The Bag!!


In a previous post I was talking about the big brown paper bag that Stephanie had gifted to me at guild meeting Monday Night. Actually, it is one of several bags! It is always like Christmas for me when she ditches her scraps :c)

Yesterday afternoon I started wondering what I could do with all the ends of her strip pieced panels...Not ALL the fabrics are batiks, but quite a few of them are...there were also some little panel parts of orientals (just a few) and a wide panel of a red print with bright green on either end...like a panel you would piece if making puss in the corner blocks. I piled all the pieced panel parts in a pile (wow..say pieced panel parts in a pile three times fast!) and I saw that I could get A LOT of kaleidoscope wedgies cut out of them! So that is what I started to do....there was enough to do 36 blocks if I alternated the pieced wedgies with solid wedgies. This also gave me a good opportunity to use up the few batiks that I have. I've never been drawn to batiks even though I think the quilts made with them are gorgeous, I'm just an old fashioned printy girl!

I wanted this to look very random, so I matched up points in sets of 4 and started cutting solid triangle wedgies to go with them. I sewed 8 wedgies into "stop signs" and then arranged them on the floor....I knew I would need corner triangles on the pieced wedgies of 1/2 the blocks, and corner triangles on the solid wedgies of the other half of the blocks.

I went back to the trimmings pile of what was left from cutting the pieced wedgies, and began to cut corner triangles from that! I sewed the pieced triangles on half of the blocks..hmmm..I was liking it so far, but it needed something to go on the other block corners that would kind of tie it all together! There were bright colors in the quilt, and muted olive greens....what was going to tie it all together? Well, everything IS better with cheddar, isn't it? I love cheddar with poisony green in antique quilts, so I thought that might work for this one, and I had JUST enough to cut 72 cheddar triangles out of a small piece of cheddar batik that at some point found it's way into my stash!

I just sewed the blocks together.....and now I am rushing to get this uploaded, and then to the shower, and then to clean up the bomb that went off in my house while I was busy playing with Stephanie's scraps. The quilt still needs borders, but at least it can be moved without messing up the layout. Jason and Shanon come tomorrow and I need to CLEAN THIS HOUSE! I am one excited Mama. I've also got a guild meeting tonight...and need to be out of here in 2 hours. Auuughhhh! But it was so fun to be able to play today and to stretch beyond my confort zone with this kaleidoscope quilt! I'm calling it "OUT OF THE BAG" because that is where it came from!

Bonnie

22 comments:

  1. Hi Bonnie...I'm laughing cause I just say your weather pixie says "82 degrees"..don't mind me..LOL

    The K quilt looks wonderful. It really is a happy quilt and makes it's circles very nicely. Great job on decidig that cheddar would be the best choice...it's wonderful!
    Way to go to get it done soooo fast! You are one stoked up sewer when you start..*VBS* Have a wonderful visit with DS#1

    ReplyDelete
  2. WoooHooo!! It is wonderful! Love it to pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the top Bonnie. I also love making quilts from what others were going to throw away. It often makes a beautiful quilt like this for nothing. Of course it doesn't decrease the stash though LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the quilt Bonnie. I have just picked up some decorating accents in those very colors. Sort of the Bollywood influence.
    A wild departure for me but I am feeling summery and a bit of a renegade.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:34 PM EST

    A very bright, happy, gorgeous quilt! You did such a wonderful job, she might want it back!!LOL. It's always fun using someone else's scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutedly loooooove the quilt!! I'm very impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. stunning quilt-especially how fast you whipped it together-and you were right-it all went better with cheddar! simply amazing work Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bonnie you have such a great sense of color, I just love this quilt and wow! how fast are you? I would still be cutting. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. another amazing quilt....and i'm not surprised. :o) that is so pretty! what's in line for borders?

    Have fun with that son of yours. maybe he can have a bro-to-bro talk with your younger son. it could work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Out of the bag...and out of your box...and simply amazing!!! Wow! When I study the quilt, my eyes follow so many different patterns and directions. Great work! I cannot wait to see this quilted by you, Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I comments on stashe busters, in essence "You will never cease to amaze me!" I can't wait ot see the final product & I amso proud of you for using the batiks in your stash with the left overs so beautifully! Someone esle hit it onthe head when she mentioned "Bollywood!" This definately has an Indian feel to it. (Maybe that can be your quilting inspiration...)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gosh, you are so quick! One day a photo of bag of scraps and the other finished quilt top - I am getting depressed!
    It is lovely though, really lively and full of energy, just beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm beginning to think you have a workshop full of elves doing your piecing foryou ;-) Seriously, I'm impressed!

    The colors are wonderful and the chedder really does make it even better! Can't wait to see it quilted up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You do realize how amazing it is that you got a bag of scraps Monday night and have a quilt top done by Tuesday afternoon? WOW! I love it and hope that after I've been quilting for a few more years that I will be able to put things together like that without following a pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, looks like you spent some serious time cutting and sewing! Wonderful results - I really like this quilt and also how you played around with some of the colors to get a more defined circle - and I like that cluster of green at the bottom too.

    Cheers!

    Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  16. you amaze me! again, I'm impressed! you're my hero!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bonnie, what a great quilt! Who wouldn't love that one? You're such an inspiration to so many of us.

    Enjoy your visit with Jason & Shannon!

    Judy L.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Bonnie it is gorgeous! Now I have to get back to my kaliedoscope quilt! This looks great! And I love the cheddar!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great job Bonnie! I love the touch of cheddar in there also! Looks great! And from someone else's scraps! Imagine that! ;o)
    Hugs
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful quilt! You take the prize for speedy and productive. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What you do with scraps continues to amaze and thrill us all. What an inspiration you are to all of us! Have you shown the top to the person who gave you all the scraps? I really want to hear what she has to say! Do people ever see what you make and then decide they will keep their scraps the next time to see what they can do? Those aren't your normal colors, but you certainly didn't let that faze you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love it! Gorgeous colors!

    I've always meant to ask- how small is a scrap that you wouldn't save?? I keep thinking i should gift my scraps to all you amazing scrap quilters, cause lord knows, I never use them, just save them forever out of guilt!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)