>>>>

Sunday, October 22, 2017

Oh, One More Thing…

PhotoGrid_1508372751989_wm
Does anyone know what the little net things are in the left hand side of this photo?

in my early years, when I had one small child and a hubster in college, I worked as a floral designer at a local flower shop in Ontario, Oregon.

My favorite place was in the cooler!

I loved opening the many boxes of fresh cut flowers that were delivered daily, and they had to be unpacked, ends of stems trimmed just right and set in buckets of water in the walk in cooler to keep them fresh as we worked with them.

The aroma that came from that cooler still comes to mind any time I am hear a flower shop.

Delicate flowers like spider mums come with their blossoms protected by these little net “socks” that are ALWAYS discarded when the flowers go into arrangements, if not before – allowing the blooms to relax.

Here I have cut one of the socks in half – and have slid it over my Aurifil spool for travel purposes.  I don’t like it when my thread goes tangly at the top of the spool.  The sock helps keep it nice and neat in my bag and I can pull just enough thread off of the spool with the sock still on. 

If you’ve got unwieldy thread, give this a try!

IMG_20171019_184457_605000


While I’ve got you here – please don’t forget about the Quilty Box Gift-Away that is going on while I am gone!  Enter to win ON THAT POST.

digitalpatterns

Also – All Digital Patterns in the Quiltville Store are still available at 25% off through the duration of my trip using code DIGITAL25 at purchase.  Don’t miss out!


Our China Project – ‘Rishi’ is also available and on sale!

22688336_10155847709673909_494511352457426329_n

And I’ve got a SHARE to SHARE!

Several of us have had a secret project going on over the past couple of months using Pepper Cory's Peppered Cottons to design a block that will be displayed in the @studio_e_fabrics booth at Market. Thank you, Pepper Cory!

I love my block, and if you love it too – be watching for my featured block in the NEXT issue of 100 blocks by 100 designers from Quiltmaker Magazine!

The other invited artists are listed below. Check out their websites, blogs, FB, etc. over the coming days to see what they're up to, and perhaps, glimpse their blocks!

Sue Pelland Designs; http://suepellanddesigns.com/
Janice Pope of Anything But Boring Designs http://anythingbutboring.com/
Valerie Bothell; http://www.valeriebothell.com/
Robin Koehler; http://nestlingsbyrobin.com/
Barbara Black; http://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com/
Allison Aller; http://alliesinstitches.blogspot.com/
Susan Marth; http://www.suznquilts.com/
Kathy Delaney Quilter; http://kathydelaney.com/
Bonnie K Hunter; http://quiltville.com/
Gyleen X. Fitzgerald; https://www.colourfulstitches.com/
Pepper Cory; http://www.peppercory.com/

1_11_2016

Quiltville Quote of the Day!

Thank YOU for following along with me on this journey!


19 comments:

  1. I bet you could use the stretchy, athletic, wrap tape that sticks to itself around thread as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just had to laugh about those tiny nets!
    Those sit around the garlic over here in the Netherlands.. =^}
    Any unwrapping threads can also be tamed with tiny ponytail elastic bands, those for baby girls. I leave them on when using thread for hand jobs, and otherwise they may have a life as doilies under wider spools; works well for me!
    Love to visit again after harvesting some gallon of dry beans over the last weeks (just the plot around our house, nothing professional).

    Love from Friesland,
    Irene

    ReplyDelete
  3. They come from flower shippers. They cover the blooms to protect them while in shipping. My sister uses them to cover her spools. Florist throw them away and will give them to you for free.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually pull the thread up out of the orange base, pull the thread end between the thread and the base and then squish it back together again. Does this make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know Superior threads sells some to cover cone threads. But for that sized Aurifil thread - I have a secret -- pull the bottom off - yup just pull it off -- wrap the end of the thread around the center and put the bottom right back on -- no need for any covers. You can't do this with the small spools.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pantyhose sewed in half up the middle of the leg twice ...half inch apart.....then cut into two strips and cut to length for spool size....
    That’s my mums trick for her machine embroidery threads

    ReplyDelete
  7. One time the florist delivery person forgot to remove these little nets from roses I received. I realized immediately they would be good for all sorts of things like this, and a package of six of those at craft/sewing shops is not cheap! My husband paid attention to how excited I was to have these little nets, so now when he sends roses, he asks the florist to leave the nets on as an extra surprise gift for me. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been using these nets for several years for my large (5,000 yard spools) of thread for several years. They're especially GREAT when using metallic thread.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ditto Dale's comment - the flat base slides of the post of Aurifil thread spools, and the thread can be secured at the bottom to prevent tangles.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I get mine from Superior Threads these days. There pretty inexpensive and work great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thread socks...I've always gotten one with my Viking machines. Superior offers them and they fit just about any sized thread spool/cone.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hugo's Amazing Resuable Glueless tape works well too. You can keep your bobbin with your cone of thread for future use in addition to securing the end.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The usually come with sergers & are called "thread nets" like hair nets!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oooh, you are full of helpful hints! Love the sock nets for small spools. I've only ever used for large cones. AND to see your quote on one of my vintage quilts was special too! "Hey, that looks familiar!!" Big screen, yup, that is my pretty behind your words. Hugs and happy to hear of your China adventures, Allison C. Bayer, Plano, Texas USA

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOL!! I knew EXACTLY what that was. My parents owned a retail flower shop for 27 years. I, along with my 2 siblings, spent my formative years working there.
    Thanks for a blast from the past.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bonnie the nets are actually sold in sewing shops as "thread nets". When I bought my first embroidery machine, those nets were shown to me. They help to keep the thread from coming off the spool too quickly while running machine embroidery. It gives just enough drag on the thread to help that problem which can happen when doing machine embroidery

    ReplyDelete
  17. When I bought my serger many years ago...nets were included to cover the spools to keep the thread from coming unwound off the spools.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those are called "thread nets" and I get them from Superior Threads.
    Aurifil large spools: I just pull the orange spool cap partially off the spool, tuck the thread end in, and push the spool cap back close to the thread. So easy and neat! You can even move the spool cap to the other end of the spool.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's genius! I just pulled some of these in tubes from new patio chairs that we purchased. I put them in my sewing room for safe keeping and thought I'd find a use for them later. You found it for me! I'm going to use them on my thread, love, love, love this! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)