>>>>

Monday, March 27, 2017

Rainy Spring Sunday!


I love rainy days in the mountains when the clouds hang low and hug the ridges.

It has always had a “Brigadoon” feeling for me.  Misty and magical.  Ethereal.

Spring rain is so different than rain any other time of the year.  It can come gently, it can pound fiercely with the whipping of the wind.  It washes the world from the last vestiges of winter, making everything newly green.

Such is spring in the Blue Ridge Mountains I love to call home.

During our first daytime downpour I discovered some parts of the cabin that I had never seen in action before.  We have RAIN CHAINS!



Rain chains are a functional and captivating replacement for conventional gutter downspouts. During a rain storm, they turn into a water feature as the rain tumbles from the gutter down the chain, and into a drain in the ground.  I could have stood here and watched the rain chaining down for hours.  Captivating!

But there was a “Run to Lowes” to be made.  And I said that I would go, if we could take some detours and explore a bit on our way.  And I wanted to go to the antique mall in West Jefferson to see if they had a better cabinet for the “STUFF” I want more hidden.



Appalachian Traffic Jam!

It was a good thing we weren’t in a hurry for anything.  I don’t know how this truck was not falling apart on the road! LOL!



Barn Quilt Sighting!



And another!

I love these everywhere I can spot them, and in this area there are many.  I have a feeling that there WILL be one on the cabin at some point!



This lovely was spotted at the mall!

We looked and looked but didn’t find a pie safe type cabinet that I think I want next to the fireplace to hide all the TV related electronic paraphernalia.  They had some “made new to look old” stuff –but they were all painted and distressed, and I want WOOD.  And I want a real vintage piece, not something new made to look old.  I want something beat up with history.

That place in Burlington where I found the two dressers – THAT’s where I need to go.  And that might happen Wednesday depending on how I feel after Tuesday’s THING removal.



There was a lovely Minnesota A in a parlor cabinet.



And an early Kenmore!

No machines came home.  After moving cabin, and trying to find places for everything, my stable of machines is still full to the gills.  But I love to look, to pet them, to give their hand wheels a turn – and miracle of miracles, all machines were OUT in the open!  I didn’t have to embarrass The Hubster by playing another round of “Free the Machines!”



This is for IRENE!  LOL!

All items needing to come back to the cabin were secured and off we went.  I swear, that 25 minute drive gets shorter every time we do it.



Parking sign is up!  Next to the rain chain.

More and more like home every day!

I’m headed home today.  I’ve got some quilty things to share, but I’ll wait until I’m home to post them from the wifi instead of slow phone data upload.

The propane folks will be here Friday morning, so I’ll be back up on Thursday afternoon.

I am ever so grateful that my March schedule was an easy one with two weeks off.  We have gotten so much done and it couldn’t have been planned better.

Did you enter to win our March Quilty Box give away yet?  The drawing of our winner happens on Wednesday evening, so be sure to enter on THAT POST.



Quiltville Quote of the Day!


I love Mondays. Mondays give me a clean slate with a full week ahead to live as I want to live. To be a better me. To grab this day by the horns, and show it who's boss! Vintage Ohio star quilt photo sent to me by Cathy in Michigan.

Have a vintage quilt you'd like to see used as a Quiltville quote of the day? Email me a close-up photo and I'll be happy to give you a shout out!

 
Make it a magnificent Monday, everyone! 

Follow me on Instagram!

Follow my Quiltville Page on Facebook for more fun!

Join our sister group, Quiltville's Open Studio on Facebook, a place to Sew, Share & Grow!!

13 comments:

  1. Love that parking sign! Lovely photos - lol @ the old truck held together by dirt probably!!! Hope all goes well tomorrow. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES, you need a Barn Quilt at the Cabin. I got a Metal one for Christmas that I still need to put up on the Garage or Front of the house gable. The rain chains are fun to find. Rain brings the flowers and beautiful Greens! Happy Monday. Overcast in PNW, too. I need the SUN to come out soon. Meanwhile, I'll go Quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all those gorgeous photos! The rain chains are just lovely. Such beautiful barn quilts, too. DH has got used to me shouting out barn quilt when we are on the way up to Sparta. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rain chains are on my list of "wants". Someday maybe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have three vintage quilts. One is a log cabin, one is just scrappy 1.75" half square triangles and the last one, the oldest one, is solid red stars with lovely orange peel hand quilting.

    not very internet/technical knowledgeable, but I think you'd like to see these quilts so I will try to figure out how to send you some photos.



    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow I didn't know Shawn sung a song for me. My whole family calls me Deanie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can you believe that I did not know what a Rain Chain was?? I had to google it. Now I know! LOL!!!! You would think that living in Florida, I would know this, right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Barn Quilt sighting had to really make you feel at home. A friend in the county north of me has them on her old home in town. Think quilts are welcome everywhere.

    Thanks for the moment back in time with "Brigadoon". First musical I saw on stage and fell in love.

    Will be thinking about you as "it" is removed from your forehead.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love,love,love rain chain. Here in So Cal they don't add the lovely sound but that's when memory of days long gone by
    comes to visit. Hoping the surgery goes well. Enjoy your new cabin, it looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The first part of your post today made me chuckle. Low clouds hugging the base of mountains always remind me of an old 50's black and white movie called "The Crawling Eye" that starred Forrest Tucker. It was a really scary movie back in the day.

    Positive thoughts being sent your way for your upcoming surgery. Looking forward to seeing you again at the workshops in Mineola next month.



    ReplyDelete
  11. Best of luck on your surgery. Everything will be fine. I'm a nurse and for 21 years I have worked for a dermatologist who specializes in skin cancer. I have assisted with thousands of surgeries, hundreds to them being Mohs. You will know the skin cancer is out before you leave. I'm sure you have a competent surgeon. When people tell me they are concerned about a scar I tell them it is better than leaving a skin cancer there, which will not go away on its own. My advise is to use sunscreen, SPF 30 is fine, if you reapply when you are out for a prolonged period. Also GET A HAT, and wear it. Get several. They make a difference. Some people tell me they hate hats. I think hats are better than a skin cancer. I'll be thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We've had those spring rains the last 2 days here in southeastern West Virginia---mostly gentle but at times the clackety-clack on the metal roof made it almost impossible to sleep. I've got to show my husband your post so he can see the rain chains...I've never seen that before---but I like that better than a downspout. Your quotes of the day just keep getting better and better. Today's was especially good---true words to live by---if only we all would. Thank you for the smile of the day---the sign in the parking lot. I'm sure the threat of being 'basted and tied' is a detriment to non-quilter parking.lol... Have a wonderful day, Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)