
I went to update the index page of my website. My webhost started out as Startlogic, then they were acquired by iPage, which then got swallowed up by Network Solutions.
I built my page myself, simply, using Weebly many years ago. It was just a landing page, with links that took folks where they needed to find things, and my Ecwid store was a tab attached to the main page. Easy. Functional.
Well, upon accessing my dashboard on Saturday morning to upload an edit, I was greeted with a message to update my PHP. It wouldn't update me because my Weebly page didn't accept the higher PHP version. Weebly is being discontinued.
So I upgraded to build a new front page on another builder. This one cost more, but you know. How hard could it be?
AWFUL! And I leave for India on Saturday so this has to be done.
I uploaded a "good enough" index page only to have my SSL certificate not work for a secure website. I had paid for it, my subscription was on the last website. (It's now fixed)
Then I was told I couldn't link to the Ecwid store as a subdomain, but I had to jump through hoops to embed it and it is beyond me. I'm going to have to hire *their* professionals to do that.
So the Ecwid store is now linked directly to the URL of my store ID, it works. it's the same, it's just not part of my website right now.
Then we found out that NONE as in ZERO of the PDFS for the free patterns, tips & techniques that are in the PDF folder on my website will work. NONE.
They don't store things on the website anymore - everything is uploaded to the cloud. There are hundreds of PDFs. Seriously.
So I am moving them back to the computer by Filezilla, and will upload them to Google Docs but it's going to take a while to get everything under the free patterns tab on the blog linked.
You can still access the tutorials, you just can't print a PDF for it.
And we have Mystery clues starting in November, and I need to be able to provide the PDFs. I think Google Docs in the answer.
Unless I come up with something better.
Yet. I'll do what I can, but this is going to take a while and as I said, I leave for India on Saturday!
(And yes, that is some *special* Y2K fabric off to the right. LOL! It keeps on living!)
Back to the story - Last night I transferred the PDF files to my computer and uploaded them to Google Docs where I thought I could start linking things back from the free patterns tab.
Going to the old pattern posts, some of the photos are also *GONE* Because those photos were originating from my website, not embedded in the blog. (learned my lesson there long ago) and I am just removing some of the really old do-nothing patterns at this time because I can not go and rewrite everything. Especially things that are 20 years old.
What I might do is just post the quilt photo - and the link to the PDF on Google Docs for the patterns that the photos are all gone on. But it's going to take some time - and like I said, I leave for India on Saturday.
Quiltville Store - you can get to the Quiltville Store through the link on my main page at Quiltville.com
There is weird spacing on the page, and I can't get it to work so I'm looking for a college kid to help.
The address Quiltville.com/shop no longer works. I'm still working on getting the store site merged with the new website page. But the store is functional, it just opens to the Ecwid ID. (Store host.)
At any rate, it's still a work in progress and will be for a long time.
Some things are just going to go away because I can't recreate them.
And I really don't deal well with change.
I think I made 2 of these over the entirety of the weekend!
But at the retreat things are going gangbusters, and they keep me laughing!
(And cocktails on the porch late-afternoon also help!)
I love watching productivity come together.
Old Town blocks are appearing here -
And the links for PDF patterns now go to the main store URL because the original address for each with my quiltville domain DO NOT WORK. OMG.
Lupine & Laughter units and blocks here!
And there were top finishes!
And tops still growing, row by row!
Kathy's tumblers are all selvages!
And this top is rowing rapidly as each round of borders goes on.
Winter Blues is now a topper!
Hearts of Hope, pieced, quilted and bound!
And of course Saturday brought a lot of quilt shop hopping into play as well.
There are good things happening along with the frustrating things.
I'll be back with the help desk today to see if we can get the store embedded so it works on my site.
And through it all we keep stitching the pieces together, because what else can we do?
Quiltville Quote of the Day -
But I never toss away fabric scraps!
Have a marvelous Monday, everyone -




















No comments:
Post a Comment
If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.
Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.
Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)