>>>>

Saturday, August 15, 2026

Rain, Shine & Quilting!


Who wants to start the day with a dirt road hike?!?

I found five willing quilters eager to get some steps in.

No rain in the forecast? Great! Let's go!

It was a beautiful morning, a bit overcast, but we didn't mind.  And this route is mostly shady by tree cover anyway.

Only one vehicle passed us as we headed up the long and winding gravel/dirt road in between two mountains and alongside a creek.

Welcome to a Virginia holler, ladies!


It's a gently rolling kind of terrain...here I dipped to the rear to get everyone on the go.

This is a bit of an up - but not by much.

We were met by a gentleman driving a big red pickup truck who slowed down and stopped just to chat for a bit. Little bit of local folklore, and a whole lot of Southwestern Virginia hospitality and right out neighborliness. (Yes, that's a word. I promise.)


And yes, there were cows wallowing and gathering in the shady creek below!


But this "no chance of rain" in the span of our 45 minute walk up and changed its mind and before we knew it we were one mile out and getting drenched by mist. Oops!

We were all rightly soaked by the time we got back to the van....and wouldn't you know it? By the time we reached near the retreat house, the roads were dry, the driveway was dry, and we were the only things wet.

Up here, clouds gather around the mountains and it may be pouring a mere 2 miles away, but bone dry where you are as the mountains have their own weather patterns.

The best part? We didn't melt!


The majority of the group dried off and changed, and headed out to hit up quilt shops leaving only two people left at retreat.  

I took a quick walk around the room to see what projects in still life I could find.

Looks like the Dawn's Early Light blocks from String Frenzy are coming together!  Oooooh...there is just SOMETHING about neutral strings that gets me every time!


Chain piecing left just where it is at the back of the machine -


Quilt pattern is Potting Shed by Primitive Gatherings.


Much progress is being made here -


Pattern is the Iris Quilt by Kitchen Table Quilting.


Gorgeous star block in Cherrywood fabrics -

I know the pattern design is Lori Smith of From my Heart to Your Hands, but I don't have the pattern name. It's part of a star sampler quilt.


Scrappy Mountain Majesties from the Free Patterns tab!


Cutie patootie jar quilt is getting its shelf-sashings!


Adorable!


Pattern is Fresh Preserves by Me & My Sister Designs.


I went to their website to see if I could find the pattern, but evidently it was a limited edition and tbe jar pattern is now included in this pattern duo called Buttons & Thread.  The jars and the spools use charm pack squares. So cute!


Bright and colorful pillowcase finishes!


Little tumblers are becoming:


A cute zipper pouch!


Later in the afternoon when everyone was back, I brought my diamond strings over to visit with everyone while trimming up what had been pieced while they were off shopping.

An invite to dinner was extended and with Hubster Dave still in Oregon, I accepted!  Baked potato bar with all of the fixings including veggie trays on the table from fresh garden produce - wonderful!


Of course Flash got his treats too -

And I could swear by watching his little white paws that he was on the verge of making biscuits. Come on, buddy - you know you want to!  Just let out a purr or something, will ya?

He will take treats.  He still will not accept pets.  And you have to be careful because he will still hiss and swipe those murder mittens at you.

But someday.  Maybe someday.


Last night after reaching home -

De-papering on the counch.


I love throwing the "odd balls" in!


Another batch done.

I'm getting closer to the number I need.

But not close enough.

Surely this is making a dent in the small scraps? Surely?  I don't think so.  It's the gift that keeps on giving.

Today - Maybe another dirt road hike, but will for sure check on the possibility of rain.

Ore time spent with the August Quiltvillians 2.0

Still working on the binding for Bliss - I'm on side 3. Might be done by the time the weekend is over.

How about you? Are you closing in on any finishes?


Sign ups close September 1st!!

There are still some openings in our Christmas Market Tour through  Switzerland, France and Germany in November, right after Thanksgiving. I'd love to have you join me. You need to sign up by 9/1/26 to join this tour.

I'm also looking forward into 2027 with a tour to Thailand in JANUARY for my birthday!

I always try to go somewhere fairly warm for January - it makes a great winter break. Have you ever wanted to visit Thailand? Let's go!

I'm returning to Bali in July of 2027 on a fantastic batiking expedition.  Are you interested?

September of 2027 has us returning back to Scotland. As an Outlander fan with 24% Scottish heritage - I can't wait!

We have so many exciting travel adventures ahead - which reminds me, I need to get busy on at least kitting up SOME of the new travel project as I leave for India on September 5th!


Quiltville Quote of the Day -

I love how one idea sparks another, and another, and another! ⁣

All I wish is for enough time to stitch it all up!

Have a wonderful weekend, everyone -

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)