>>>>

Thursday, August 27, 2026

Nine Days Until India!


All of a sudden we are at the end of August.

I thought August would last forever - but no. It passes just as quickly as everything else.

Kids are already back to school.

You can feel the season change coming - it's darker later in the mornings and I'm finding it hard to get out of bed until it is light outside.

I just looked at the calendar thinking that surely I have another couple couple of weeks before I leave for my India tour, but no!  I leave a week from Saturday?!?!?!

Yesterday's main job in between getting the retreat ready for the next group was to kit up those hexie kits I'm going to need for travel stitching.


I opened the mail box at the inn to find some lovely packages of coral to orange scraps - right on time!

And I mean RIGHT on time as I started taking care of those kits on the agenda.

Thank you everyone!  These are lovely!


I pressed everything, and then layered them on my Accuquilt Studio 2'' die to get them down to 2'' strips.

Then I rotated the strip sets to cross-cut them into squares.


Honestly, I find cutting squares and working with squares not much different than working with a hexagon shape.  Yes, there is a *bit* more seam allowance on the back side, but it doesn't bother me.

Especially if you cut your hexagons 3/8'' larger around than your paper shape anyway.  The difference is negligible.  

And if you pan on machine quilting it - it really doesn't matter.


My friend Kathy arrived yesterday for retreat (She will be here 2 weeks! Yay!) and her arrival was perfect timing for heading over to Corner Market for some lunch and a catch up.

We were talking about my project and I told her how many hexies were needed in each kit and it was going to take forever to count them all out....

She said "Why don't you do just these first few rounds around the center, and then re-kit up the reminder later?"

BRILLIANT!

You don't have to tackle the entire thing all at once. I can add the two outer rings of the motif when I have evening home stitching time.


I took this photo before adding "Just enough" of the greys for the inner rings.

Before going home last night, I had cut some neutrals and they are ready to count out and add to the baggies and I'll be good to go for a long while.

There are two motifs in this quilt, This is the large one.

As if you couldn't tell, I'm very excited about this one.  And yes, it's from a pub floor photo. And I may share the photo AFTER the quilt is finished.

This is going to take probably years to finish. I'll share progress as I go along.


Oh Tula!

Last evening while heating up dinner (You can hear the microwave ding!) I caught Tula playing with something l thought was a rubber band on the floor.

It turned out to be a little dead snake in the dining area! Yuck!
 
Just dispatched it down the toilet. It was pretty shredded. 

How did it get in here? I have questions!

And the way she steps on it like Godzilla....LOL!

So, the September Quiltvillians are in the house, the retreat fun is already underway - and today I'll be back working on kits.

Not only to get the neutrals into my hexie kit baggies, but to make up the embroidery kits for my India travelers.  It's time to get real, and start thinking of what to pack...I'm so excited!

I'm also looking forward into 2027 with a tour to Thailand in JANUARY for my birthday!

I always try to go somewhere fairly warm for January - it makes a great winter break. Have you ever wanted to visit Thailand? Let's go!

I'm returning to Bali in July of 2027 on a fantastic batiking expedition.  Are you interested?

And yes, we are going back to Scotland in September of 2027.  Where are my Outlander fans?  It's going to be an exciting travel year.

 Did you enter to win a signed copy yet?


The kind folks at C&T publishing and I are working together to give away five signed copies of Scrap-Savvy to those who enter on their website HERE.

After submitting the form on the entry page, check your email to confirm your subscription and entrance to the giveaway.

(You can always unsubscribe at anytime.)

Gift-Away info: Winners will be selected at random and emailed, and they will have 72 hours to respond with their mailing address. If we do not receive a response, we will draw another winner at random. Good luck!

Things happening this week:


Book 6 in the Hadley Carroll Quilt City series is now available for kindle and in paperback!

I'll be gifting away 3 signed paperback copies of Quilt City: Payment Declined.


I'll also be drawing for 2 winners who will each receive a Sunnyside PDF pattern from me and a beautiful Notable Neutrals roll from our friends at Cotton to Quilts.


To keep this as hassle free as possible, I will draw for the 3 book winners, the 2 pattern and fabric winners from the SAME sign up on the Gift-Away Post so you only have to enter once.

Drawing happens SATURDAY 8/29/26.

Intro pricing: The Sunnyside PDF pattern is currently 25% off, no coupon needed - and good through 8/31/26. Hurry!

All The best scraps!

A simple little block that puts every saved bit to good use. Stitch a rainbow of scrappiness! Full color photos, graphics, and multiple unit construction options.

Quilt Size: 90’’ X 90’’ and easily customizable.


Quiltville Quote of the Day -

Some folks are just far too impatient! Lol! ⁣
Pattern for Sugar Bowl quilt found under the Free Patterns tab.



I made mine in recycled shirts, and seeing this again makes me think there needs to be another shirt quilt in my line up.

Have a terrific Thursday, everyone!

 

2 comments:

  1. Kathy R.11:15 AM EDT

    Tula brought you a present, one You really don't want. I love your quote of the day! It's like sitting at a red light that just turned green and you get honked at for not moving. You should have know when it was going to change to green just then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carolyn in NC11:46 AM EDT

    I sent you some orange squares from Pittsboro, NC. Enjoy your travels.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)