>>>>

Sunday, September 06, 2020

Hike a Little, Quilt a Lot!


Mornings are getting cooler -

The air is crisper!

Humidity is lower – and I nearly NEARLY slept with the window open a crack last night.  Good thing I didn’t – it was only 53 degrees when I woke up this morning.  Brrr!

And YAY!  Because that means we are back to “turn the fire pit on” season for morning coffee on the porch.

The change of seasons is a marvelous thing, isn’t it?

Don’t get me wrong. I don’t want summer to go away just yet – but if we can ease off on the extremes a bit, I’ll be fine with it!


Even the light is a bit different.


Canada geese on the log!

I am noticing that more of them are heading south.


The sound of water flowing over rocks.


Of barns in the sunlight on a hillside.


And Lola saying “I thought you were going to sew today!?”

(Just adore that little tongue-out look she gives!  Slays me every time!)

In the summer it is always hike first, sew second – because it is too hot in the afternoon to do things in reverse.  But I feel that shifting too!

in the cooler colder months – I look for the warmest nicest time of the day to hike, and that usually settles around 3pm before dark, so my morning is for sewing.


But this was my afternoon job at hand!

I just needed them sewn.  I’d worry about the pressing and cutting apart and sorting later.  Just push them through and I did.


And some English paper piecing happened while my lap became occupied!

Here I have spent months trying to get folks to accept each other and get along – first Lola and Emmy Lou after Dresden passed.  Big NOPE!  Then Lola and Ivy, thinking Ivy might be good company for Lola.  BIGGER NOPE!

But these two?  I always thought it would be sweet to have two kitties curl up together to sleep.  Instead – it’s an unlikely dog and kitty show happening here!


Zoey sleeps with her muzzle on the ledge -

As if it is a pillow.

Ivy just curls up beside her.

I sat there for the longest time just watching the rhythm of their breathing.

No, friendships can’t be forced.  And sometimes the unlikely friendships are the longest lasting.  I hope they will enjoy each other this way for years to come.

Oh, and this morning’s round of pressing?

Click to Play:



While Jason and Dave head off to meet up with son Jeff this afternoon to retrieve the big mower, perhaps I’ll find myself putting these together.

I can’t wait to show you what this will be – I really can’t!


Only 2 days left!

For the next 2 days, through Labor Day weekend all orders $39.00 and above from The Quiltville Store receive free shipping using code FREE39 at purchase!

Code must be used at time of purchase to receive discount. No refunds if you forget, okay?

Sale ends Monday at midnight Eastern time.



Did you see we are giving a way a free pass to Quilters Take a Moment? YIPPEEEEE!

If there is one virtual event you wish to attend this year, THIS IS IT!

You can find out more in THAT Post and enter to win your free pass there.  I’ll be drawing for our winner next Thursday, September 10, 2020.

And I think that catches me up until now. I’m about to find myself just easing into this Sunday and seeing what it brings, while enjoying Jason’s last couple of days with us.

What’s going on in your world for today?



Quiltville Quote of the Day -

This is me when the Hubster starts talking about archery and targets and how many yards and........⁣

His version is "I might look like I'm listening to you about quilting but in my head I'm aiming and shooting arrows at targets...."⁣

Is this you too? LOL!

Sandcastles quilt from my book
String Frenzy! ⁣

have a wonderful Sunday, everyone!



27 comments:

  1. Such a gorgeous photo of Zoey and Ivy. Wonderful friendship. Glad you're enjoying the seasons and look forward to what you're working on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that Zoey and Ivy get along so well. I’m still working on Unity. Adding last star border. Going all around. Then I may add something else but probably not as I’m really running short of my colors. An interesting tidbit. I found my grandmother’s diaries from 1941 to the late 70’s. I’ve been glued to them. Having a hard time putting them down to sew

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you SO enjoy your fur babies. I also love how you entertain them.
    I miss having fur babies but maybe someday I'll have another kitty but for now I have to avoid possible allergens for my GRAND with medical issues. So better to have a "little" that can visit than a furbaby! (For now)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That photo of Ivy snuggled up to Zoey in her dog bed is just the most precious photo! Thank you for sharing that unlikely friendship with us... it's just so heartwarming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking forward to the reveal of the new project! You describe living your best life so well, thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you are enjoying a beautiful Sunday with those precious fur balls and your machine! Ahhh... makes me smile 😊

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bonnie - Enjoy the time with your sons. Thanks for sharing the friendship of Ivy & Zoey and updates on Lola. Curious to see what your autumn scraps will turn into.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Breathe in breathe out! Have a great Labor day weekend. It felt sew good to feed a bunch of triangles through my machine yesterday. Not much trimming with your Essential Triangle tool!! Hope there's not kitty teeth marks in this project... safe travels Jason!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Has Zoey taught Ivy to stand on her head yet? :) I'm glad they enjoy each other's company.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm planning on making some autumn placemats today for our kitchen table. Got the batting all Frankensteined yesterday so ready to sew. I truly love the pics of your fur babies lovin' on each other!

    ReplyDelete
  11. thank you for sharing so much of the scenery around where you live. i like listening to the sound of the water, seeing how the landscape is changing. is so very very different from central florida. if everyone got along like zoey and ivy, the world would be such a better place. peace. patti in florida

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you get some good memories of Jason around the firepit to keep you warm all fall!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wonder....if Zoey and Ivy maybe lived together before they came to you?? If a person dumped a dog, they might also have done the same with a cat....

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been lucky enough to have 3 different pooches take a cat as their best bud. Such a joy to watch, they used to follow each other all over the place. One of the dogs, a sheltie and coon hound mix would scare up a rabbit and the cat would chase and catch it - yummy dinner - that was not shared. LOL The next was a giant schnauzer and now a mini schnauzer. Have not been able to sew for the 5 months, due to medical issues, just now getting back into the groove - missed it!!!!! Am rehemming some pants, so my son can go back home after 4 months and then will start on a couple of quilts. Happy sewing!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Sunday. I love the picture of Zoey and Ivy together on the bog bed....It makes my heart go pitter patter....they are so sweet. I am trying not to start anything to large because I am in anticipation of the Mystery quilt. I have made my middle daughter placemats and my oldest daughter a table runner that I need to hand quilt and I am making some Temecula quilt tiny quilts to display. Taking it one day at a time. The year 2020 will definitely go down in history.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Zoey just doesn’t understand why Ivy can eat the triangles, and she can’t..😂😂. Animals are so funny!! And the conversation...I try to really pay attention when my husband talks, even if I’m not interested. It always seems to come up again, and I get points when I remember..👍. But him...he zones out when I’m talking about most anything. But, I let it slide and just make sure he pays attention to the important parts. The rest of the time I’m pretty much talking to hear my own voice. And he wonders why I talk to myself..🤔

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bonnie,
    I had hoped Zoey and Lola would become good buddies and cuddle up together and sleep. I honestly didn't believe it would happen so quickly..but I'm happy it
    did :):):)
    It made my day to see your picture of them sleeping together!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'd like to send you a photo of my Shoo-Fly Leader-Ender quilt that I just finished hand-quilting, but I don't know how to do it. I'm not on Facebook and don't see a way to do it from here. Help!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Did you notice, it looks like Zoey and Ivy are holding hands! So sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Zoey wants to play with the triangles too but can't figure out how to chew on them and shake them. Both are so adorable. Can't wait to see the triangle project. Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous4:02 PM EDT

    That sounds like my husband and I with his rifles, reloading and shooting. Only difference, I sometimes shoot with him and he has a real interest in my quilting. He is a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you so much so much of your part of the country you call home. It seems to be changing every time you and Zoe take a hike. Fall is definitely in the air here in Michigan and I already miss my summer evenings sitting under my tree either hand stitching or reading. You mentioned you almost slept with the I like weight on me when I sleep so the last couple nights I the window open,I still do even though it gets chilly in the early mornings. I am one who likes to sleep with weight on my shoulders so I threw one of my heavier quilts on and that solved that. Safe travels to Jason on his trip home.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sounds like wonderful times. Ivy and Zoey are so cute and seem to be great helpers �� Your new orange, blue and neutral quilt is very intriguing as I am very fond of orange and blue ��

    ReplyDelete
  24. O I got the Zoey and Ivy show, their friendship is so lovely to watch develop. Miss Lola waiting for you to sew is just adorable, thank you for sharing your little cuties.
    Enjoy your Labor Day with your son
    Stay safe
    Love and quilty hugs
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. It’s incredibly refreshing to see the temperature and description of your soon-to-be fall weather, my very favorite time of year. Here in Northern California, the sky is clogged with smoke from horrendous fires both locally and hundreds of miles away. Our high in Davis was 111 and today is forecast to be the same. We shut off our A/C from 2:00 to 9:00 as suggested to ease the chance of a power outage. Like I said, it’s so nice to view YOUR surroundings and wish for days like that. They will come. . .

    ReplyDelete
  26. Well Lori, you wouldn't like being here in Colorado right now. Sat & Sun.was 101 degrees. Today 93. Tomorrow a high of 38 with lots of heavy snow! And a low of 28!!! Talk about br-rr-r!! Keep warm girl!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Cool nights + open window = good snuggling under a quilt or two!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)