>>>>

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Always An Adventure!!

Yes, I know yesterday was the Sisters Quilt show, and I know you are chomping at the bit to see the pictures --- but there are many many many and they need to be edited down and longer posts written, and I don’t have time to do that this morning.

Randy and Lori and I have been sewing up a storm and having a wonderful time, and I want to get back to that, so I”ll just backtrack a bit and let you know how things went on Thursday.

I’m not sure if it qualifies for the WORST trip in history, but let me tell you…..It was a zoo!! See this crowd of people at the Denver airport? OY!!

My flight originally was supposed to leave Greensboro at 9:45 am. It was supposed to be an easy day, getting me into Redmond Oregon at 3:45pm. That would give us the evening to toodle around Bend and have dinner, maybe hit a couple shops that were open late for Quilt Show week ----

But after going through security --- and waiting at my gate for a while, we were told that our flight coming from Chicago was delayed due to weather, and we were to expect a 2 hour delay.

It’s not easy getting to Redmond from where I live! Of course, this delay had the domino effect, and in order to GET me to Redmond….they had to move my flights all around and reroute me through--- DES MOINES, as in IOWA!

Yep!

Greensboro to Chicago to Des Moines to Denver to Redmond, and I was supposed to get in about 8:45pm.

Which would NOT have been too bad…only 5 hours late, after all ---except….

When we neared Denver, the pilot came on and told us we were in a holding pattern, just circling and circling, because they had closed the Denver airport due to thunder storms! After about an hour of circling, he said that if we didn’t land soon, we’d be diverted to Cheyenne Wyoming ((!!!)) due to low fuel.

We were finally able to land in Denver, but that wasn’t the bad part…ALL flights were halted with nothing going in or out……and our flight to Redmond left 3 hours late. At least I didn't miss my connection while circling.....that plane was ALSO just circling, unable to land either, so more domino effect. I was wondering what to do should I get stuck in Denver over night. But...we eventually did leave, after moving gates 3 times. ((More zoo!!))

I got into Redmond just about midnight Oregon time, which was 3am North Carolina time -----and I wish someone could explain to me why my luggage beat me here even though all my flights were rearranged and delayed and delayed? It’s a good thing that the luggage WAS waiting for me…because when it didn’t come around on the belt at the baggage claim, I had visions of it being stuck in Des Moines or Denver..and what the heck was I going to sew with?

I didn’t care about my clothes or my toiletries or anything else….it was the quilts that I had kitted up over the past weeks that I was frantic over!

By the time we got to Randy’s and off to bed it was 1:30am. I’d been up for nearly 24 hours…..

However, I was a productive soul!

sisters2011 018

I finished the binding and the hanging sleeve before I even REACHED Chicago!

sisters2011 019

Here is my donation quilt for the fund raiser, all bound and sleeved. The only thing left to do is add a label and I can do that when I get home.

sisters2011 028

The rest of the time I stitched Hexagons. FOR HOURS I STITCHED HEXAGONS! The two neutral sections to fill in the sides to square them off are done now, and I have sewn one of the long red borders to one of the neutral sections…..It’s ready to be sewn into place to the big medallion…I took a pic of it, but it is fairly blurry, so I apologize! As I write this it is 11:25pm, Everyone else is asleep, and there isn’t enough light to go retake it, so you’ll just have to squint to see how it fits…like this:

sisters2011 030

The two sections to fill in the opposite side…the red border needs to be sewn to the neutral fill in part, and then it too will be ready to square off that side…and then the BIG fill in begins! I’ve drafted it out on paper….we’ll see how it goes. MAN there will be a LOT of neutral hexagons!

The show was wonderful. I spent time with Tonya who was able to join us, and the weather was perfect, and there is more to fill you in on, but it’s late and I’m ready for bed, and I’ll try to do more tomorrow!

12 comments:

  1. Your hexagons look quite small,what size are they?What size do you think the finished quilt will be?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were productive!! A least there is a positive among all of that frustration. How much more maddening would this have all been with nothing to sew!?!? What a nightmare of a journey--I hope the rest of it is pure enjoyment! Can't wait to see your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful all the sewing! I love the stripes and the six angles too!♥
    I was in Denver in 2005, my husband and a work by "accident" was when the Amish patchwork exhibition in the Art Museum. It was wonderful!
    Mammka from Hungary

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think anyone who travels regularly has one of those horror stories (or more). Nothing like a little handwork to keep you sane.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh you poor thing. You must have been exhausted. When that sort of thing happens to me (not as bad I add), I get to the point where I'm so stressed out I can't concentrate on anything. How odd about the luggage.

    Ohhhhh photos please. Lots of photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And that is why I don't like to fly! It seems like it's always something. But, glad you were productive - I LOVE your hexagon quilt - it is amazing. A hexie quilt is on my bucket list, but thus far I have not made one single little hexagon! Some day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you made. It has been my story too. Just got home after a 5 hours delay. But it is the first time this year that all my suite cases arrived with me. 1 out of 4 trips. Enjoy Sisters and keep send us pictures. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. At least you had plenty of hand work to distract you from some of your frustration with the weather and airport delays. Take your time with the Sister's post, you should just have fun, sew, view the quilts, shop and enjoy your time with friends.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The hexie quilt is great! I'd love the pattern if you ever publish it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous10:51 AM EDT

    If you ever get diverted to Cheyenne, Wyoming...give a holler. There are plenty of quilting ladies that would come to your rescue. I have always wanted to go to Sisters for the quilt show...and someday I will get there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow what a trip you had. But you arrived safely and luggage intact. Saw a picture of you, Lori and Randy on Lori's blog. You looked all refreshed. Looking forward to seeing your pictures. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Bonnie, I feel for you. I work at the Denver airport and when the storms roll in every night it seems anymore, I am stuck there with a thousand people who can't get where they want to go. It is so frustrating for us all. I'm never sure when I travel if I should carry on my quilting projects for fear of my luggage getting lost. When I read how you downsize your carry ons, I try to rethink mine, but I am too chicken to trust that my luggage won't get lost and I haul my precious quilting projects onboard with me! Who cares about the clothes :-)

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)