>>>>

Friday, August 17, 2018

Where to Begin to Start ---

20180816_031212
This was the view from my 6th floor suite window in the Canary Warf/ India Quay region of London – just shortly after my 2:45am wake up call jolted me out of peaceful deep slumber and started me moving.

The London skyline in the wee small hours – sleep on, London people, sleep on! 

But as for US, we had a bus to catch within the hour, and it was time to get a move on.

The Marriott was awesome – brown bag breakfasts were handed out, and consumed – some in the lobby, some on the bus, some remnants snuck into backpacks and travel bags for long hours of airport waiting.

20180816_071050

Boarding a big green bird for Dublin!

Now some might think that London to Dublin to New York is just a crazy way to go – but did you know that there is pre-customs clearance in Dublin that saved us HOURS worth of lines and clearing of customs in NY?  It was all done by the time we got to JFK, allowing our weary travelers to simply pick up their bags at baggage claim and go on their way?

It made the changing of airlines and connections SO much easier!

And I got to see this  in the daylight – we missed it when we landed at Dublin on our way IN, it was still dark before 5am!

20180816_084931

Isles and Ireland!!

20180816_095316

Oh those beautiful mountains – just beyond the airport window!

The flight to JFK was uneventful and went swimmingly.  I find it hard to sleep when there is so much activity going up and down the aisles around me, but managed to get about an hour of shut eye in somewhere.  It was the waiting for 2 1/2 hours before boarding for Atlanta that was hard – by this time we’d been up about 20 hours...

20180816_180152

This is the face of a frustrated woman.

Now I know that airlines do their best – and our safety is the main reason for all delays, but this one took the cake.

We pulled from the gate and evidently some light went off somewhere because the captain came on the overhead saying “Um, we are pulling over here to have something checked out – should take about 20 minutes.”

Well, that went into another 20, and another 20, and then a 30 – and by this time I had missed my Atlanta to Greensboro connection.

And when we were still sitting there 2 hours later, and people were being shuttled back to the terminal to try to catch another flight should they wish, I got on the phone and called the Delta hotline.

I explained the situation.  I’d missed my connection.  And yet I had another flight booked FROM Greensboro back to Atlanta the next morning, going on to Phoenix to visit my brother who is now in hospice care. And that I’d been up and traveling for now nearly 24 hours.

The gal on the phone was GREAT.

They gave me a hotel room in Atlanta.  I’ve been offered a late check out time so I can rest up.  They dropped the Greensboro to Atlanta leg of my Phoenix trip, and I’m just going direct from Atlanta to Phoenix. My luggage has already been rerouted to meet me in Phoenix.

And I’ve got a 1st class upgrade.

Though I’ve been up since about 4am, I had a good solid 6 hours of sleep, which is more than this girl could hope for with a screwed up body clock set to UK time.  I threw on yesterday’s clothes, ran my fingers through my hair, realized I had ZERO toiletries on me, not even a comb and headed down to the front desk.

20180817_061419

SCORE!

Only:

Evidently the clerk thought I was in need of not just one, but TWO tubes of toothpaste (No brushing has happened in many many hours by this time!) and really – is that “Groucho Marx” mustache comb really going to make it through MY hair?

And until my next shower, likely in Sun Lakes, Arizona tomorrow morning when I wake up – I will be faintly smelling of Old Spice Pure Sport deodorant.

Don’t laugh – it might just become the new hip fragrance for the traveling woman!

And just when you think it doesn’t get much better than that….

How to Organize and Store Scraps with HollyAnne Knight of String & Story

HollyAnne to the Rescue!

My flight to Phoenix isn’t until 5pm, so I’m going to rest up here and HollyAnne is picking me up for lunch and perhaps a walk around the zoo, weather permitting.

If you are at the Atlanta zoo after lunch time, you just might recognize me – I’ll be the one wearing the Festival of Quilts “Fabric Rescue Service” tee shirt I bought and wore home on a whim.

It’s gotten me plenty of crazy looks so far.

Humor is my best medicine.

20180816_062008

As seen at the airport in Dublin

Thank you, Mark Twain.  I couldn’t have said it better myself.

IMG_20180817_073857_741

Quiltville Quote of the Day

Antique applique segment from a Mariners Compass quilt on a bed at the American museum in Bath, UK.

I am so grateful for those who are blessings in my life.  And also for all of those who have gathered around my brother's family to help and uplift and serve now that he is being taken care of by in-house hospice.  

There are definitely angels amongst us all.

You shine an example instilling in me the desire to be a better person every day. 

I don’t know how things will be while I am in Arizona – but I will check in when I can.

Hug those you love closely – cherish all the memories.




49 comments:

  1. You have had a crazy time of it lately. Have a good day with Holly Anne. Safe travels to you on your next trip. Prayers to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you missed seeing your husband. That sucks! But I'm glad the connections worked out to get to Arizona. Your family is in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonnie, I am praying for safe travels, for you and your family during this tough time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do have angels watching over you. So nice of Hollyanne to rescue you even if for a little bit. Continued safe and on time travels as you go to your brother.Sending hugs for you, your family and your brother especially.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hurray for friends who rescue. Have a safe flight. Yes, Hug your loved ones while you can!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bonnie, prayers for your brother, you & your family...🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so happy for you that you are on your way to Arizona to be with your brother and get lots of hugs, tears and laughter with him. This time will be so precious in your memories. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bonnie so sorry to hear about Mark being in Hospice but so glad that you are on your way to visit him. Praying for you and your family. I really enjoyed watching your trip and hearing how you make the best of what comes. It is a lesson to all of us. Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wishing you safe travel to Arizona and precious memories of your time with Mark. Prayers for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holly Anne is the best! Glad you have some company while you wait. Prayers for your brother and the whole family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Bonnie, in among your hectic travel story, the one word that jumped out at me was hospice. Hugs. That's all. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sending quiet, loving thoughts to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bonnie, sending prayers and hugs to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thoughts and prayers with you all.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Prayers for you and your brothers family. Families are forever...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that you got the "Peace Be Still" calming lotion. Have a nice day with Holly Anne. Praying for your family in this difficult time. Trust in the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kudos to Delta for stepping up to help you. And to Hollyanne getting you out of thei hotel.

    We encountered the US customs at Dublin in 2013; what a wonderful thing. I have since had some horrendous encounters going through customs. Now I have a Global Entry card and try to leave lotsof time to go through customs so I don't miss a flight. I refuse to stop traveling so I do what I can to make the journey easier.

    Hope you have a good visit with Mark. Lots of prayers for him and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Prayers and hugs dear Bonnie and family. Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I’ll say prayers for your brother and the whole family. God be with you. Go love on your brother and family.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So glad the airlines could make the changes for you with minimal difficulties. Prayers for your family at this time. My experience with hospice workers was that they were angels on earth when we needed them.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cherish the time spent with your family. Wishing you many blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I;m so sorry to hear that your brother is in hospice. Prayers for you and your entire family. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sorry to hear about your brother. I wonder if our mutual friend Kathy was your Delta help! Safe travels and prayers for everyone's journey to a different normal without your brother.

    ReplyDelete
  24. My love & Prayers for our & your family! (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  25. A few years ago on a domestic flight my bag was delayed due to trouble with the luggage system at my connecting city. Now I carry a few basics in my carry on and have some peace of mind and am much more comfy when I'm stranded without. Safe travels. Prayers and hugs to you and your family during this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Prayers for you and your family Bonnie. Have a great time at the zoo and safe travels to Arizona.

    ReplyDelete
  27. So glad things are working out to get you to your brother safely. Praying for comfort and peace for you and your family, that you might have some special time together.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Bonnie, I'm glad you were able to get a flight right to AZ and I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hope your journey now continues to go well. Sending my best wishes to you as you spend time with your brother Mark. God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I think HollyAnne came into your life at just the right time :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Bonnie thoughts and prayers for you and your Family.Hospice is the best group of people. They have always been great when our family needed them. Do not be worried about your quilt family. Anything quilt related can wait.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Grateful that you didn't miss your trip to Arizona and blessings to your brother and his family. Spend whatever time you can with them everything else will wait. HollyAnne was a lifesaver. Get some sleep

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hugs and prayers for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hugs and prayers to you and your family for strength and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love and positive thoughts for all!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I'm so glad you'll soon be with Mark and your family. Hospice nurses are amazing, and contribute a spirit of peace of even joy to this most sacred time, in my experience. Sending you love.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh Bonnie, what a dreadful time you had getting back with your flights, but great that you ended with a nice room for a decent if short sleep.
    HollyAnne is a star to pick you up for a bit of a fun time you needed that.
    I pray that everything goes ok with your visit to your brother and family, hospice care is good I’ve had family who had it and it just amazing what these angels do.
    Prayers and quilty hugs to you all
    Anne xxx

    ReplyDelete
  38. My prayers are with you and your family, Bonnie. I know how hard this is and I also know how much your presence will mean to Mark.
    Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Much love and many hugs to you, Mark and your family. The hospice angels will take care of him until the Lord takes over. Quilty hugs to you. Ann in PA.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Heavenly blessings for you and your family as you share this time with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  41. May you gain the strength and courage (so important at times like this) when you are surrounded by your family: Love always makes the journey easier to bear. The Angels here, & those you can’t see are comforting all of you. Prayers to all. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  42. Bonnie, prayers and peace for you and your family during this heart wrenching time. Memories, shared with each other are a balm to the heart. God be with you all. Pam in WA.

    ReplyDelete
  43. sorry about your brother, my prayers are with you and your family

    ReplyDelete
  44. Both of my teenage daughters prefer men's deodorant. Trust me, you are very hip!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Bonnie,
    You are always an inspiration to us all..... with your sewing talents and your life. I love reading your daily blogs and you keep me grounded. I have loved being on your England trip (through your photos and blogs) and feel like I have been able to share and appreciate the beauty. I send you love and hugs to get through the tough time ahead of you..... letting go of our loved ones is so very hard, but sadly, something we all must do. You are so right..... hold tight to all of those beautiful memories and be thankful for our wonderful times together. with love, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  46. Bonnie, I will remember you, your brother and your family in my prayers. God bless you at this time in your family’s life, and may He bring you peace as you face the days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Bonnie, was in church today and prayed for Mark and the family. Have a safe trip.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Prayers for Mark and you and your family.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)