>>>>

Monday, September 02, 2024

Bears, Quilts & Quilty Friends!


Isn't this a sight to behold?

Jen has not only been working on quilts, but also completed 8 memory bears for a very special customer.  And this is where it takes a village!

The customer's husband recently passed away, and his wife is having 8 memory bears made out of his favorite fleece shirts/jackets.

These bears will go to kids and grandkids, and I love the personal touch going into each of these special bears.


Fleece bear pieces are lined with fusible interfacing to help them keep shape. There was a whole assembly line of pieces and parts going on.


In grandpa's handwriting - digitized.

Grandpa's handwriting was scanned from cards and letters - how special is this?


I will love you forever!

And yes, they'll all get a good brushing with a sticky roller to remove any wayward polyfil fibers.


And this is where the village steps in.

The bears are being boxed up and will travel, not with Jen - but with Barb to be hand delivered to the customer in Fredericksburg, rather than risk them being shipped.

We've all gotten attached to having these bears around, and all wish them well on their overland journey to other far away corners of Virginia!


And even with all of that bear sewing, she still managed to assemble this nine-patch top that will be going to a teenage boy. Space themed fabric.  So great!


This pretty project is becoming a jacket on a sweatshirt foundation.


I love the fussy cut cone flowers!


Another intense thing coming together!


The goal is to have it ready for today's over-the-porch-rail photo shoot!


This is an ongoing mystery with a London theme!


Wonky Wishes is coming together.  I love these colors!


Wanderlust from the Addicted to Scraps book. This one is Barb's!


So many tiny churn dashes!


Borders ready to go on Frolic.


Pine Tree Point is happening here - in TWO different color ways!  


Quilting Friends are the BEST!


As for me?  I've still been laying fairly low - Bronchitis has been taking its time to work its way out of my lungs...but I'm getting there.

Still coughing. Still feel the weight on my chest.  Antibiotics are done, I've turned the corner, but there has been no hiking or walks...just can't do it yet.  Soon.  Very soon.

In the mean time - I finished the binding on Moonflower.  It's now in the done column and waiting for release in November.

And because we turned to September -


Appalachian Autumn is 25% off!

No coupon needed!

Pull out all of those favorite fall colored scraps, strips, and strings! These beautiful leaves float on a background of stormy cloudy grey and warm vanilla custard cream!

Quilt finishes at 56 1/2'' x 56 1/2'' square.

I'll leave the price drop in place through September.

Have you started one that you haven't finished?  Maybe September is a good time to pull it out and finish it up!


Quiltville Quote of the Day -

Jenny Jenny, who can I turn to? ⁣⁣
⁣⁣
Eight six seven five three oh nine⁣⁣
Eight six seven five three oh nine⁣⁣
Eight six seven five three oh nine⁣⁣
Eight six seven five three oh nine⁣⁣
⁣⁣
Your daily earworm.⁣⁣
⁣⁣
You're welcome!


 

15 comments:

  1. Sweet September. Happy Labor Day! The Memory Bears are everything. Sorry to hear your still sick. Try to get some sewing done today, that will make you feel better.
    All blocks are trimmed and de- papered. Ready to cut on the diagonal in pairs. Can't wait to see what a whole block looks like. So excited.
    I have a bunch of newsprint for the border foundations. All set there.
    Love your old Quiltcams, brings back memories.
    Have a Sparkling day 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I'll be singing that line all morning or until I turn on some music to get a different tune stuck in my head. Thanks for the giggle in the daily quote, Bonnie, and I'm glad you're starting to feel better.
    Beautiful, amazing projects going on at the Inn--great job, Ladies!
    The Memory Bears warm my heart this morning. Love that Grandpa's handwriting is on each of the Bears feet. So special.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:22 AM EDT

    How funny! My husband was asking me last week about that song. We were trying to recall the whole number. I had to look it up LOL. And, yes, it wormed it's way into my head

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just finished 2 memory quilts for 2 young guys who lost their mom way too early. Wish I had her handwriting to put on them, but did include some pictures. These quilts and the bears are what our hobby is all about, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:54 AM EDT

    Yes! 867-5309! My local Kroger had those large blow up numbers, in that order, on their deli case for weeks. I cracked up the first time I saw it, but no one else seemed to get it. 😩. Connie Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lynn in Australia10:16 AM EDT

    Loved Jen's bears & would love to pass a suggestion onto her customer. When my Mum died, we sorted through photos & found ones of the respective grand kids with her, then the photos were framed & I made cushions from left over fabric of the dress she was wearing in the photo with the grandchild (so they could still hug Nana) I wish I could have made bears.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:20 AM EDT

    As I read the last line of this morning quote that song was playing on the radio.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jen Slater11:06 AM EDT

    Those bears are everything! I love the digitized signatures…might need to learn how to do that.
    So sorry to hear about the bronchitis. Big hugs and I hope that you are able to get out walking again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous11:21 AM EDT

    HA HA, 8675309; have not thought about that one in a great while; guess I am OLD too!! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. 47 yr old daughter was 5 when that song came out & was on the radio frequently so that was her constant refrain most of the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I sang it as I read it. Didn't see the show it came from. Can't name the artist. Made me laugh anyway. Those bears are special. A great group of friends who are helping them travel safe to new homes. Feel better! Did they give you the
    "Pearl" for the coughing? 'Benzonatate'

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, how sweet are those bears!! That was special. I love how they thought to digitize Grandpa's handwriting like that. He must have been a special man. I know mine was. It looks like some very creative things happening over the weekend. Looking forward to the big tada tomorrow.
    Glad to hear that you are feeling better. Slowly but surely you will get there.You finished up Moonflower in a hurry... I can't wait to see what you have planned next! This weekend I am working on Chilhowie. I am squaring the blocks as I put them up on the wall. I'm loving the color combo I did! The quote had me chuckling as always. Happy quilting!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous5:28 PM EDT

    I can’t tell you how much I appreciate seeing what your groups are working on. I have been on many quilt retreats over the years, unfortunately poor health means I can no longer participate. I love the bears and also the Bright Side Quilt with the churn dashes I will be trying. All the best, Clare Apatow

    ReplyDelete
  14. Seeing the works in progress and the porch display inspire me every time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous9:38 PM EDT

    I am the customer who had the bears made. They are beyond amazing. Jen put her love and heart into each one of the bears. The handwriting IS his handwriting. I have cried repeatedly since holding it the minute I got it. If you are considering having one made don't hesitate. Thank you Jen! I hope to meet you one day, thank you Barb for delivering them safely to me and thank you to the village for loving on the bears.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)