>>>>

Thursday, September 05, 2024

In The In Between Times -


Wednesday was full of finishing up inn laundry, making beds and getting all things ready for the arrival of Susan's Retreat group who began to arrive just before 3pm.

It was a run around of a morning - including getting the remaining pressing stations fixed - but in the in between times - there was a bit of time for cutting and pressing.

What's under my needle now, you ask?

More triangles.

I love all patchwork units from four-patches to nine-patches to flying geese..but I think the most versatile of all units is the humble half-square triangle.

So here's a bit of what's going down in the studio - as I said - in the in between times.

Click to Play:


Okay. This is going to be fun!

But don't I have a lot of other things that are going on behind the scenes right now, too?

Yes - but this can be a bit of a reward - in the in between times! 


The main objective for this project is to first off - give some breathing room to that overly stuffed full blue strips drawer.

To specifically grab those strips that are short, don't play too well with others, and just need to go -

And I am challenging myself not to think to hard - not to focus on the prints themselves, but to go for variety in all directions.


Messy pile of unrelated blue strips - 

Other than the fact that they are all navy-ish.


Where I'm at so far.

Tile floor inspired.  I'm calling this one Waterford as it reminds me of our trip to the Waterford Crystal showroom in Waterford, Ireland this past June.

Of course, this one has no deadline, and I'll be working on it - in between things - over the next long while.

I'm headed to Kenya a week from tomorrow!!!! I'M NOT READY!  But I will be.

And this will wait.


These are done!

I posted about the canvas drop cloth I used to cover them in yesterday's post.

Under this new layer, simply attached by staple gun, is the old layer, two layers of warm & natural batting and a piece of plywood cut the same size as the table top.  

The pressing stations were purchased at Rural King, but Harbor Freight has somethin similar.

I used industrial strength peel-and-stick velcro on each end of the tables to hold the pressing boards in place.


After I took these photos I did put a layer of freezer paper on each pressing station - something I remove and replace with each new retreat group so everyone gets a clean, fresh pressing surface.

This whole recovering thing was supposed to be a quicker job than it turned out to be, but I'm pleased with the results.


This guy seen on our trail cam at home - Not so excited about him!

Today?  Pattern writing.  Diamond Tile releases on the 10th. That's NEXT WEEK.  It needs to be done.

And through everything - I'll be longing to get back to Waterford in the in between times.....

What do you have going on this Thursday?


Quiltville Quote of the Day -

What is one thing you've really been wanting to do but have been too nervous to dive in? ⁣
Make like a turtle on the move and stick your neck out! ⁣
And perhaps that means you'll consider coming to Australia with me in January!

Have a terrific Thursday, everyone!


 

11 comments:

  1. Your blue and white blocks are gorgeous love the stars.
    Glad you have time to sew still.
    We had a big bear in our backyard a couple years ago. He got into my galvanized barrel of birdseed and corncobs. What a mess he made. Bent one of my wrought iron shepherds hooks like it was a pretzel.
    I'm making blocks for Crazie Mazie quilt. I've sewn 32 so far. So cool.
    Hope you get to sew today.
    Have a Sparkling day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All those happy little half square triangles make me smile. :) The bear, not so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cats Whitcher11:15 AM EDT

    for some reason, i stopped receiving your 'daily' blog comments about the time you went off to Ireland and I just thought you were so involved with your trip there were not daily posts... it's nice to catch up, i'm sending my new prescription to CraftOptics in the hope I can return to quilting... I miss the sewing AND the communityl.. Love and Joy to all, Cats

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:00 PM EDT

      Is that Cats in Carlsbad? We’ve been worried about you. You comment so often and then didn’t for so long. Glad to see you back here. Fran in Pa.

      Delete
  4. I LOVE Waterford! These tile floor inspirations have my heart going pitter-patter..
    The project that makes me need to “stick my neck out and go for it” is the quilt for my bed. I keep bouncing between pattern ideas and can’t land on one thing. I had decided on one, but these tile floor ideas are tugging at me. It’s not like I can’t make more than one quilt for my bed, and I have more than enough fabric in the colors I want to use….hmmm…
    Maybe there will be several!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my! What will you see in Kenya. We'll be watching Instagram to see. Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:39 PM EDT

    I love Waterford!! You already have me foraging for gray fabric and now I'll be adding dark blue to that. What a beautiful quilt!!! I can't wait for the patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Waterford looks interesting! I'm working on a paper pieced quilt, but am being forced to take a quilting break, as I've got a mucle spasm aggravated by trimming seams. Ugh! I guess I'll be planning future quilts, daydreaming about possibilities, etc. for a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely loving the new project!! It's hard to believe you are heading off on another grand adventure soon! I hope you are feeling better by then... the trip won't be enjoyable if not. I wish I could just sew a few triangles here & there... but it just isn't possible here. Today was picture day at school... & the kids weren't too bad today. :) Thank goodness tomorrow is Friday!! Happy quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's nice to see Cats is back and that it was a techie issue and not a medical problem. Happy to hear from her again .

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Bonnie, I read Cats Witcher's comment. I'm hoping she will see my comment to let her know that I'm among several people that were concerned that she hadn't commented lately. I assume she's the same as Cats In Carlsbad?

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)