>>>>

Monday, February 07, 2022

Quilt City Murders Release Day Gift-Away!


Quilting, Mayhem and Murder!

All of my favorite things in one place.  LOL!

No, seriously - I love "Who Dunnit" type intrigue.  The mystery/crime drama type of read is one that really pulls me in, and if it involves quilting, and PADUCAH, I can't wait to read it!

I was contacted by Bruce Leonard right after New Years, letting me know his long awaited quilt genre debut was coming soon, and would I like to participate in getting the word out there.

OF COURSE!

How about this to pull you in:

Quilter Hadley Carroll thinks her life can’t get any worse after being demoted from reporter to newspaper courier and having her fiancĂ©, Matt Ackerman, dump her without explanation. But then, while chucking a sack of newspapers into the Ohio River in Paducah, Kentucky—known as Quilt City—she finds Matt's body snagged under the transient dock. She knows she’ll never find peace if she doesn’t figure out why he left her and who killed him, so she gets to work.

But the mystery deepens when fellow quilters succumb to foul play, so Hadley must use her investigative skills and impressive intellect to connect a series of seemingly unrelated crimes.

As QuiltWeek Paducah, the largest quilting event in the world, approaches, then fills the small town with 30,000 textile connoisseurs, Paducah’s mayor tries to instill calm as citizens panic, protests flair up, and visiting quilters flee by the thousands.

Despite grieving the loss of Matt, Hadley perseveres, strengthened by her troubled upbringing and aided by her weekly quilting group. She resolutely determines to solve the murders, to bring peace back to her hometown, and to get a good night’s sleep—finally.


Knowing that today is release day on Amazon, I set the Keurig running for my morning cup, and grabbed the new Kindle Paperwhite I received from my dad for my birthday, and went straight to downloading Quilt City Murders so I could pick up where I left off in reading the paperback copy Bruce sent me.


YAY! Kindle book price is only 4.99!

Features I love about my Paperwhite:

  • All-new Kindle Paperwhite – Now with a 6.8” display and thinner borders, adjustable warm light, up to 10 weeks of battery life, and 20% faster page turns.
  • Purpose-built for reading – With a flush-front design and 300 ppi glare-free display that reads like real paper, even in bright sunlight.
  • More books in more places – Store thousands of titles, then take them all with you. A single charge via USB-C last weeks, not hours.
  • Easy on the eyes – Now with adjustable warm light to shift screen shade from white to amber.
  • Waterproof reading – Built to withstand accidental immersion in water, so you’re good from the beach to the bath.
  • Find new stories – With Kindle Unlimited, get unlimited access to over 2 million titles, thousands of audiobooks, and more.
  • Go hands-free – Pair with an Audible subscription and Bluetooth headphones or speakers to listen to your story.


How does the text compare?

With my baby cataracts and minimal central vision loss, reading real books on paper has been a bit difficult.  It's been a sad thing because I was a voracious reader before MacTel2 crept up on me in the last 5 years or so.

You'll find my little Kindle Paperwhite in the Personal Favorites category of the Quiltville Amazon Affiliate Store.

(I make a small commission on items purchased through my store as an affiliate.  Thank you!)

I am now able to comfortably read and am enjoying my quiet time more and more as I dive back into enjoying books the way I used to.

As far as the MacTel affecting my ability to see, sew and match points?  Well,  perfection is highly overrated and I just continue the best that I can, and call anything that is "off" as my personal touch of improv! It certainly keeps things from being boring -


As we kick off Bruce's big Amazon Day, you'll find Quilt City Murders in both the paperback and Kindle version HERE.

I'm actually about half-way through, and now that it is on my Kindle Paperwhite I'll be finishing it up in comfortable reading rapid fashion I am sure!  

I love the characters, the plot line, the twists and turns, and of course the ever present theme of quilting through it all. 

Let's kick off the kick off day with a little Gift-Away!

Would you like to win this paperback copy of Quilt City Murders?

I will be giving this copy hot from my little hands, and a PDF copy of my Cherry Crunch quilt pattern to one lucky winner!


We'll draw for our winner on Valentine's Day 2/14/22!

Winner must have book prize shipped to a USA address.  If you are outside of the USA, we can send it to a friend within the USA who can then forward it on to you.

And while you are entering for this - don't forget we've got a Quiltmaker March/April '22 Gift-Away going on as well.  Enter to win ON THAT POST. We'll be drawing for that winner on Wednesday 2/9/22!


Weekend things here -

A whole lot of cutting going on!

Now that I know how I'm going to be setting my Fish School blocks, I figured out how many I still need to make, and dug right into the scraps to finish up the block kits.


I worked my way right through the scrap pile on my cutting table. These little cuties are now in a basket by my machine so I can stitch them as Leaders & Enders in between the lines of chain piecing other projects.

Now that I know how I'm going to arrange these, it's difficult to not push this Leader & Ender project to the forefront and just kick it through - but no, I'll keep going.

Our next Leader & Ender challenge starts in July - so this one can linger a bit longer.

Up on deck today - getting the String Star quilt basted so I can start in on the hand quilting soon.

I pieced the backing yesterday, and I've got to dig out the stencil I want to use to quilt it with.  That's in a bin in the Quiltville Inn garage/shop.

Also happening today - Warming up the INN!

Our first group of 2022 arrives Wednesday.  I can hardly wait.  Housekeeper Susan will start sprucing things up and making things ready tomorrow, so I need to bring the house back up to warm so she isn't freezing her tailfeathers off.

The group will be here through Valentine's Day - so all of the Valentine's stuff is out.  I may need to run for more treats just for fun.

I can say that the past 2 months have FLOWN by, and I have sincerely enjoyed the extra time I've had here at home.  I'm also looking forward to a fantastic retreat season ahead.


Quiltville Quote of the Day -

It's your road, where will it take you today? ⁣
Having friends and family along to share the way makes the journey that much sweeter.
Vintage Broken Dishes quilt circa 1920 from my collection. This is the quilt that inspired my Butterfly Kisses block in my Addicted to Scraps column with Quiltmaker, and the solids version I finished last fall!

Okay - off to kick Monday into gear - have a lovely day, everyone!



 

12 comments:

  1. since I never win anything I already bought the Kindle version. Thank you for the heads up!! pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Road is taking us to Celebrate with our 1st Granddaughter. She turned 19 yesterday and wants to meet up today. Thanks for the Monday smile. Waiting for the freezing fog to lift. Stitching while I watch the figure skating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm reading the preview of the book on Amazon. As a Kentuckian, I'm noticing his accuracy...the name of the high school, the I-24 bridge across the Ohio River, etc. So far, so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those stacks of Fish School pieces and parts are so satisfying!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my! My two absolutely every-day activities -- reading cozy mysteries ... and quilting, of course. Thanks so much for the heads up on a new author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heck, I'm wondering why she's throwing newspapers into the river!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm... that looks intriguing!! I might have to dive back into reading again. Today was actually pretty good... once I got past the morning bus run! Not one cross word from anyone! The fish school blocks are cute, but I am cutting for some Idaho Square blocks and 5"squares for a Disappearing 9 patch. Happy to hear the Inn is going to be back up and running, I sure miss the quilt shows at the end of the retreats!! :)
    Have a good evening!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love reading quilting related books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. MY road today is packing up for the road to Quiltville on Wednesday :) Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love a good mystery and quilts make it fun

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's always fun to read a book that is "pass-on-able" too often they're into the bin! My quilt group awaits!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)