>>>>

Thursday, February 10, 2022

Just Before Mabel Came Home -


My Hopes & Dreams String Star FINALLY made it to the basting stage, after being "mostly a top" (minus a few bits of applique) since 2008.

Funny things happen when you resurrect old projects.

You discover just WHY they ended up in time out in the first place! LOL!

Mostly - I remembered why I didn't think this quilt was a good candidate for machine quilting, and would fare better with quilting by hand.


Basting with large stitches in a serpentine pattern.

I have had questions as to "WHY" a serpentine.  It helps to take up any fullness instead of pushing it all from left to right.  It places stitches horizontally and vertically preventing shift.

I have had better results with a serpentine than I ever did with  basting in straight lines across the quilt.


There are volcanos in the center of my string stars!

Only small ones.

Like - maybe just an "A" cup? LOL!

2008 was the border finish.  The string stars were made earlier - likely before I knew much about testing 1/4'' feet.  These small volcanos are the result of a seam allowance that is a hair too wide, and edges of string diamonds that are on the bias.

If my seam allowance was a bit too wide when joining the diamonds together, and insetting the setting triangles and corner squares - the triangles and corner squares become "just that much" too small for the star to lay flat.  I hope that makes sense.

Any time anyone has told you "Just be consistent and it doesn't matter" is WRONG.  Dead wrong. That only works when sewing squares to squares.  Add in other unit sizes and shapes and it can really throw things into a.....well, volcano-like mess.

This is where "It will quilt out!" is going to come into play with hand quilting, which is much better at easing in fullness than machine quilting, which will likely just push pleats over everything.

We learn as we go, right?


I still love this quilt so much!

Even if it is so very "early 2000s" LOL!

It's cozy and exudes a warmth I am drawn to. It fits my cabin living.  I'm looking forward to hand quilting it over the next many months.


Off the rails.

Poofy star centers and all.


The backing -

Not enough of either "Civil War" repro fabrics to do the whole thing, but I was able to eliminate about 6 to 7 yards off of my stash shelves by centering that stripe between the two half-widths of the other tan/brown print. 

With this basting chore finished - I got the hankering to check the shelter page to see what dogs they had, and from there it was down the rabbit hole and I was on my way, not knowing that Mabel would become a member of our family.


The quilting has begun!

Batting:  Hobbs Heirloom 100% cotton, no scrim, no poly.  It needles fairly easily.  I like the loft.  Just enough, not too flat, not too much.

I'm marking fans with the stencil I talked about HERE. I'm using the blue washout pen as it is easily visible against the tan border fabric, but when I get to the darker inside areas of the quilt, I'm going to have to use something that I can see a bit better.  

I'm looking at the Clover white wash-out pen. These fans have 12 arcs, and I'm afraid if I use chalk that the lines will brush away before I have quilted them.

I'm quilting with brown thread, and I am loving the density and texture of the quilting!

And just what was going on while I was trying to quilt?  Click to Play:


This is the first time I watched them play!

Mabel is coming out of her shell just a bit.  I'm so happy that they are getting to know one another, and actually liking each other!

They both need interaction and stimulation - and good old play activity.

There has been a growl or two when one crosses the other's comfort zone boundaries, but that's to be expected.

This morning I stepped out of the shower to find BOTH of them in the bathroom watching me.  LOL!


The February Quiltvillians are in the house!


Retreaters started arriving around 4pm yesterday -

Just as shadows became long and the sun was heading over the mountain.  I couldn't stay past dusk due to my new driving restricted life, but I am so excited to head back over this morning and see how everyone fared through the night.

There were a few arriving after dark that I haven't seen yet.  But this morning I will greet a full house.  YES!


Look at these shirts!

Each year Rebecca makes the shirts with a new theme for the year.  Last year's theme was "Quiltville Inn...It's better than home!"  This year is "Quiltville is my therapy."  I love it!

These are not available to the public, the group took care of them themselves.

In between playing with the quilters, I've got a desk day ahead - guess what releases next Tuesday?

The PDF pattern booklet for Rhododendron Trail, completely rewritten into standard pattern format (No more scrambled mystery clues!) including all of the options, helps, tips, tricks we went through during our 8 week mystery run.  It's about 28 pages.  It's got EVERYTHING.


I'm also working on finishing up the PDF pattern for Cabin Corners.

This one is 100% foundation paper pieced and the pattern will include the needed printable templates so you can print them off on your own printer.

I spent a good 6 months working on this one.  It was pure pleasure to sew up the smallest of scraps into something so beautiful.

Don't Forget: We've got a gift-away for Bruce Leonard's Amazon kick off with his new quilt genre novel, Quilt City Murders!  I'm giving away a paperback copy and our winner will also receive a PDF pattern for my Cherry Crunch quilt.  Enter to win ON THAT POST.


Quiltville Quote of the Day -

Every day, do something that will lead you closer to where you want to be!
Okay, so far I've only showered and brushed my teeth but it's a start, right!?

I'm off to the inn - have a wonderful Thursday, everyone!



 

23 comments:

  1. I love the video of the two 'puppies' playing, just what I needed to watch this morning, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonnie you have “almost” made me want to take up hand quilting again. 🤔 I learned how to quilt on an old time quilting frame but never in a hoop. But I do have a hoop now. Hmmm……. Might be time to take that step!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bonnie - a friend just bought a longarm and she is going to baste a top for me to hand quilt. I'm curious as to why you quilt a serpentine versus just straight lines? Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I entered more information in between my photos above. Basically, it eases in fulness better and places stitches both horizontally and vertically - where straight line pushes all fullness from left to right across the quilt.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing the “puppy love”-it was good for my soul this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So excited, I have joined a group of retreaters coming in Aug! Can't wait!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing all the info about the volcanos and the steps and reasons for hand quilting. I appreciate all the info about stencil and marking also. I loved the dog video. It happens at my house daily and is so fun to see dogs loving life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you considered soapstone for your darker areas? Washes out. Some may brush away but it leaves ghost lines until it is washed. Or the Clover White Marking pen which irons away. Warning: it takes a minute for the white lines to appear, so your pen will last longer if you don't keep marking the same line over and over waiting for the lines to appear! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The pups playing was just the best. They couldn't be more perfectly matched for size and build, could they? And close in age, too. Looking forward to updates as they settle in together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mabel is a very pretty dog as well as having a good personality. You and Zoey really lucked out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a fan of not dense quilting, so your "basting" looks like perfect quilting for me if the stitches were normal length. I'm trying to figure out how to hand guide a pattern like that when the "imperfections" of hand guided would look like imperfections instead of "design choices" on that scale.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bonnie
    It has been a long time since I have hand quilted. What size needle do you use and what kind of thread do you usually use? I need to pull out an old cross stitch quilt I made and get it quilted. I am anxious to try your basting method. Thank you for all the information you share. Enjoy your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Bonnie, I know you did a blogpost on how to do those free form quilted letters in your border. I think there was also maybe a book you used? I’ve tried to search on your blog but can’t find the post. I know you are busy, but if you remember easily a link or name of the designer to help me find it? Just thought it might just be in your memory banks and save me a lot of searching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe the book title is Word Play Quilts by Tonya Ricucci and think Bonnie mentioned it might only be available as an ebook.

      Delete
  13. Love, love, love seeing the puppy sisters
    playing! Dogs add so much to our lives.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  14. I got up to turn off my alarm. A necessary thing on a Thursday. Too much late nights with my granddaughter this week. sleep was so good now that he went home. I need to catch up in my Olympics and stitch while I do. the longarm got some action after 2+ years. I did a practice piece of 4-patches and I am pleased I figured it all out. getting older, I'd forgotten a few quirks in the process. Love my red snappers all over again. Thanks for all the tips on basting. Volcanos will be a while in the Quilting since you started on the border.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I worked in a quilt shop years ago. I overheard the owner telling a customer the "Just be consistent and it doesn't matter" thing. I so wanted to say something but knew I couldn't under the circumstance. I hope that quilter didn't get discouraged when her blocks turned out wonky.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Bonnie, would love to hear your logic regarding hand quilting in a hoop. What size hoop do you recommend and what are your thoughts on using the rectangle quilt "frames" that snap together? I adore hand quilting but have never used either one. Sort of wondering the benefits, etc. Thanks so much! Your puppy video made my day as I'm in a clinic getting monoclonal antibodies for Covid at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mabel is the perfect sister for Joey! You were meant to go to the shelter, when you did. She is adorable and they play so well together, welcome to the Quiltville family and sisterhood!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awe.... it's good to see Zoey with a new playmate! So glad to see Mabel getting along with her new family. And she is beautiful, by the way! Happy to see the group of retreaters getting ready to have some fun. We're just trucking along over here. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Marking on dark fabric has always been a problem for me . . . until I discovered slivers of soap. If it is narrow enough, it marks perfectly AND stays in place until you need it to be gone.

    ReplyDelete
  20. ❤️Love, love, love the new puppy. Friends with Zoey already! How wonderful! Best of luck with both of them.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)