>>>>

Friday, February 19, 2021

Blue Triangles of Happiness!


The ice storm adventures of February 2021 continue!

The power outages and generator kick-ons I talked about yesterday, well - through the day it only happened TWICE, and both times in the morning.

The longest the Generac ran was about 2 hours while I was blog-writing yesterday.

Mid morning, the power blipped one more time, and stayed off for about 20 minutes.

We have enough propane to last until Monday, as long as the power stays on.

So yes, in a way, we are still playing the waiting game but temps are rising and by Monday the propane truck should be able to navigate our steep (and formerly icy) drive  and fill our tank!

This tray of triangles was my focus yesterday as I binged first Crime Scene on Netflix, and then set in to watch Sinner, which has 3 seasons.  The jury is still out on whether I will continue with that one, but it is getting more interesting the further I go.


Using some fun Aussie fabrics I received as a gift!

If it's blue - in it goes!

I am using my Essential Triangle Tool to cut these - (sizes will be included in the pattern) and they are coming out wonderfully.

I am throwing in loads of novelties that would be harder to use in a more "formal" quilt, and the mix is making me happy.  

Remember, the objective of this quilt is "I need to be able to close the blue strip drawer!" 


Not sure how many are in the bin -

And I know I'll need to cut more along the way.

Last night during my phone chat with dad, I pressed a long chain-pieced length of triangles, and snipped dog ears.

It occurred to me that dusting the living room was also something I could do that wouldn't make a bunch of noise that would bother his hearing aids while we chatted - but naaahhhhh.....what fun is dusting?

I also took about an hour and really de-linted and oiled/lubed my machine.  She needed a spa day!  She's been working hard over the past many weekends and sew-days.

She is now purring like a kitten!


Afternoon in the kitchen!

My favorite go-to for cookie baking is Old Fashioned Oatmeal Chocolate Chip.  You'll find them under the recipes tab at the top of the blog.

Nothing makes an ice storm better than a batch of hot fresh cookies in the afternoon!


Ice on the tonneau cover on the back of Dave's pick up.

He shattered it just for fun, when just before dinner things were safe enough for us to drive over to Quiltville Inn to check that pipes hadn't frozen, and peek in on Lola, give her some loves and make sure all was good at the QPO.

Today's high is 34, with a predicted high of 31 on Saturday - so we'll not be much above freezing over the next few days.

One thing I can say about this winter - there is a lot of quilting going on!

I am really missing my walks and hikes and can't wait for temps to reach 50 - 60 where I'll be happy to be out there again.


The last stitch!

The Catching Rainbows quilt is complete!

And I'll be waiting for a beautiful spring day for some better photo opportunities - not in ice, mud, cold, grey and dreary. So I can just let this one rest for a bit.  You'll see it again in due time.  All of it!

I'll be hitching a ride with the hubster to my van (still parked at the bottom of the drive) and make my way over to the QPO studio to get out what couldn't go out yesterday.


Don't forget that this is still going on!

Sale good through Feb 28th.

We are also still in the midst of a Gift-Away!

Our winner will receive:

Shattered! PDF pattern -

And a Colorcopia fabric roll and Neutral String Time string pack from Irene at  Cotton to Quilts!

Irene also has other fabric offerings perfect for our Quiltville Quilts in the Cotton to Quilts online shop, so check it out!

Are you ready to enter? Head over to THAT POST and get your entry in.  Drawing to happen TOMORROW!

To our friends in Texas, and all across the country - stay safe! Please check in and let us know how you are doing.


Quiltville quote of the Day -

Boundaries! ⁣
When was the last time you analyzed and readjusted your own?
It's healthy to do so!
During the last year of social distancing, I really have noticed (and taken note of) things that will not resume once life gets back to "normal."
It has been a difficult year in many ways, but it has also shown me gifts I never knew I had.

Have a wonderful Friday, everyone!


 

19 comments:

  1. Hi from North Padre Island, TX. We come here to escape the South Dakota winter--but this year it visited us, and we are sending it back! But we are blessed to have had electricity throughout. We had a couple of days without water except what we had in a few bottles (I identified with your propane anxiety), but this morning the sun is shining, we have gas in the car, water to drink and ice, and the refrigerator has been restocked so all is good. I make quilts for kids from donated fabric. I have completed tops for six so far this winter. I usually sew about two hours a day. I have become intrigued by your scrap users system, Bonnie. I need to try your method.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie's scrap users system is a life saver..... it reduces messy piles of scraps and it is soooo easy to find what you need and/or to make alterations from one size to another when necessary.... it is a blessing!

      Delete
  2. It is our 44th anniversary today. We are iced in and haven't left the house in days and days. Snug and warm with power so no complaints there! Will celebrate in June or July! Working on Blue Skies pattern non stop. Marilyn Marks

    ReplyDelete
  3. What "things" have you "noticed (and taken note of)...that will not resume once life gets back to normal"? I'm curious. You've really had time to share your quilting methods and explain your color theory ways to us. I'm imagining this Catching Rainbows Quilt out in the ice covered landscape, and Wow! It's BEautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here in North East Texas we have sunshine today. May get a little above freezing for a minute. Forecast to be in 50-60 by next week. I got started on a quilt for granddaughter 2nd birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll say quilters are quilting!!! Cov19 along with the severe winter weather has kept us busy stitching away, my Long Arm Quilter has resorted to making appointments and limiting us to two quilts per appointment!!! (and the other day, the soonest appointment was six weeks out!) We are such an amazing and prolific bunch!!! Fortunately, our weather in San Diego Ca County is mild compared with all y'all... blessings, be safe, and thank you, Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello! This is the first time I have really been able to get on all week. In the early part of the week we experienced the rolling power outages, something I hope to never be a part of again as our power was mostly off. We maybe got about an hour and a half of heat at a time, if we were lucky. By Wednseday night we were done with it and have had power and heat since. We are starting to thaw and warm up, as this weekend we are expected highs of 50's and 60's. There was a little damage to the classroom at school, so not sure yet what we will be doing next week. I have been feverishly taking advantage of this extra time to work on the sashing for Grassy Creek, as to me that is the most tedious. Now I get to lay it out, and with any luck it will be a flimsy before I go back to work! WE have been extremely fortunate to not have any of the water issues that so many have had. We are about an hour SE of San Antonio. Ready for the spring and warmer weather now! I hope you have enough propand and extra juice for all of your adventures. Stay warm and happy quilting!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor Texas...getting down to -20 (according to the weather channel). They are much better equipped to deal with hurricanes than the freezing cold. With bare/closed grocery stores, it makes a good case for some preparedness, no matter where you live. I know my stash of fabric and thread is good, but if we lost power for a long period of time, I would be needing a treadle machine! I have the base for it, just need to find a machine to fit it! I've been blessed to not have any of the harsh winter weather here at my dad's house, so I've been really keeping up with the weather across the country, where my quilting friends and family have been hard hit. Looking forward to seeing Catching Rainbows photo shoot!! Hope you get propane soon!! I don't like to let my fuel (in anything) get below half, just in case!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here in central Texas...haven’t lost power completely, but totally iced in. Our yard looks like a giant ice skating rink! Not supposed to rise above freezing till tomorrow, but at least the sun is out today. Have been sewing some, but hands are just too cold to function properly. Even though we have power, we have our heat at 60 so we aren’t overtaxing the system. We’re trying to help others to have power. It’s been awful for friends. Some are just getting power back today, having been out since Sunday. Others are still without water. Texas isn't set up for temps like this...110 we can handle..-1...🥶

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been blessed as the blackouts didn't get to our town although the ice and about 6 inches of snow plus below freezing temperatures have come and are slowly leaving. My pkpes froze even though i had left at a drip it was to cold for them to stay open. Thinking the Lord and good neighbors who kept me in water when the pipes were frozen. They thawed out yesterday after a day of sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have fun with those blue HSTs, Bonnie, and pass me a cookie, would you? Oatmeal chocolate chip are my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Watched all three seasons of SINNER. Looking forward to the 4th. The more you watch, the more insight you get into the characters.

    One day it will melt!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Twenty minutes southwest of Houston. Lost power and water for three days. But we are retired Boy Scouts of America scoutmasters and were prepared. Bundled up in extra clothes, cooked on our camp stove, and flushed the toilets with rain water. 😂

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lucky you can make cookies, sounds great. We are in the TX outages - roving power, no water, stores have no eggs, bread, flour, water...it's apocalyptic!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My little town is in the Cascade foothills so the wind really blows when storms come in from the Pacific Ocean...this time it brought snow instead of rain. Most places received 4 to 10 inches, we had drifts of snow and bare ground. Trees brought down power lines so power was out here for 24 hours. Think we are done with the low 30 temps....feel spring is around the corner.since quarantining ....and no place to go I have completed 4 quilts that were in various stages of incompleteness. The last one on the list is an English paper hexagon, twin size. Working on applying borders then on the Longarm she goes...yea! I enjoy reading this blog daily, with my morning coffee. The best start of the day. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good morning Bonnie Here in Nova Scotia we are used to ice, snow, and cold temperatures, but then our homes are constructed to deal with them. I've been so concerned about anyone without power or water, and am happy to learn it is improving. Strangely, I am finding our winter milder than normal, although we have lots of snow, and outdoor skating rinks. There is lots of opportunity to sew during winter, and also to enjoy the beauty winter brings.Hoping for a quick return to your normal. Sending hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've said it before.............."Dust" is a four-letter word! Remember that, please.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Disaster is all around us but I am thankful to say that we are safe and warm in north Texas. We had some frozen pipes and a boil water mandate that has been lifted. It was really nice out this afternoon. 57 degrees! I'm working on Old Tobacco Road when I can.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The first thing I open on my i pad is your blog, I always enjoy reading it and love your photos. Thanks for sharing,

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)