>>>>

Tuesday, November 07, 2017

Stitching in the Evening…

20171105_170716
A bit of binding happened!

I always look forward to binding time.

My bindings are generally phase 1 & phase 2.  Phase 1 is trimming the quilt, preparing the binding and stitching it on by machine.

I can be pretty speedy at that.  I have lost count of the number of quilts I have bound in my lifetime.  I do it without even thinking anymore, except when it gets down to that one corner where a binding seam just happens to fall just perfectly where you do NOT want it.

Even the trimming, repositioning to locate that seam further up the side of the quilt and away from the corner doesn’t phase me any more.  It’s part of the process.  A slight hiccup.  Get over it, and get on with it.

The part I long for the most?  Feet up in the recliner, quilt in my lap, snuggling in to watch something to relax to in the evenings as I slowly stitch that binding down around the quilt by hand.

Life is too fast as it is.  I love to have handwork handy in my evenings.  It gives me a reason to sit there, couch-bound for just a couple of hours without rush, rush, rush.

20171106_215030

Working my way across this side, about 2/3 done now.

Yes, I stitch from right to left with the right side of the quilt facing UP.  My left hand holds the binding over the edge of the quilt and I stitch toward my left thumb.  I never pin or clip.  There is no need.  My left hand is the only wonder-clip required.

While I stitch – there are furry family members watching on.  At first it was just this:


Emmy Lou has taken over Sadie's bed!

20171106_194944

Later it became this!

Sadie is now encroaching on what Emmy Lou assumes is her territory, one inch at a time…until eventually Emmy Lou has had enough and Sadie has her bed back.

The Sponge Bob quilt was Jeff’s about 15 years ago.  It’s been Sadie’s quilt for about the past 10.

The collar is off!  It’s been a week since Sadie’s injury and she is healing up well.  She hasn’t even touched her incision – no licking, no scratching, and we took pity on her and left it off for a trial run. So far so good.  Staple removal next week, but she is healing nicely.

20171106_100119

She even had a play date with neighbor Chip!

Several years ago, Sadie was “adopted” by the two small neighbor boys that lived next door. Anytime they were out playing, she was out there playing with them  too, as there was no fence between our two yards. They welcomed her as part of their family as well. And as dogs tend to do, she assumed their yard was her yard too.

Fast forward a few years, and several months back from now, the house was sold, new neighbors moved in and they have a dog. Sadie loves other dogs! Our two dogs are found playing together quite often.

The new neighbors put up a chain link fence so their dog could roam with less supervision without running off. But Sadie was on the outside wanting to get in! The only solution was to let Sadie inside the fence locking her in with Chip as well.  She seems to like being in lock up with Chip.

Sadie now has regular play dates inside the chain link fence including treats, ear scratches, belly rubs and even follows Chip inside his doggie door for nap time and TV watching with Chip's parents! And it isn't only Sadie! The other neighbor dog, Piper, (whose photos I’ve posted before)  is often seen inside the fence for playdates as well.

The whole situation is hysterical! Sadie has always loved other dogs and is very social around other dogs and it makes me wish I could get another dog to keep her company but it just can't happen right now. I'm glad Chip is next door to be her bestie.
bitmoji1619407853
Where I am right now.

If my quilting content is short over the next several weeks, I apologize. I just want to give everyone a heads-up.

My father-in-law's morphine is being increased. I'm preparing mystery posts and other things ahead of time because I might be flying off to Idaho for a memorial service any day. I am also headed to Arizona right after Thanksgiving to visit my brother and my dad for a few days before heading up to Oregon for the make-up week of teaching the first week of December after the early September cancellations due to forest fires.

I'm also deep into book deadlines. Quilts are due back from photography today and I'll continue on with writing from here until I have to leave for Idaho.

In the interim I've been working on all the front matter aka non-pattern type stuff. I'm married to my desktop right now.

I have promised myself to continue the feet up binding time in the evenings if I've been a good girl during the day and have stuck to schedule.

FedEx and/or UPS have not dropped off the anticipated rulers yet, so I'm waiting on those too...they should be in this afternoon.  I am not taking back orders.  I don’t know when I’ll be leaving for this funeral and I can’t be 500+ orders behind when things are so unsure.  Thank you for understanding that there is only me here.

I'll keep you updated and you'll know more when I know more!

11_7_2017

Quiltville Quote of the Day!

Shake up the routine! Push your boundaries, try something new! 

I’m shaking up my routine by going for a 90 minute massage this afternoon.  Sounds just about right to me!

Have a wonderful Tuesday, everyone.


24 comments:

  1. I, too, look forward to the last phase of the quilt process...and I bind right to left, no clips either!! Never felt a need to improve on this part; reminds me of my grandma and howI remember her doing it!! My two cats vye for positions on the quilt and I have to disturb them every time I turn a corner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hand stitching binding is good for my soul!

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks like we do binding the same way - some do blind stitch and worry about stitches showing - I just want it finished and used - I take tiny stitches and do not worry about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also bind right to left without clips, but my quilt is right side down--your way is more scenic! :)

    My thoughts are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww. Sadie and Chip are adorable together. I can't remember - is Piper the 'mystery' dog that looks so much like Sadie except for the ears, or was that dog up on the mountain?

    I can't blame you for wanting to get under Sugar Bowl in the chair. That is the most snuggle-ready quilt! It needs a hammock and a warm spring day. :)

    Thinking of your family during this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also do it this way except being left-handed, I work right to left! I wish I could send a pic in the comments, there is a laundry basket of rolled quilts for my evenings this winter.
    Holding you tight in my heart through this next couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bonnie, thanks for all you show and tell us. I also do binding like you. To each his own. You are so fortunate to have a new neighbor willing to love your dog too. Especially, since you and DH are gone frequently. Best wishes and love to your FIL. The heavenly stairs are waiting for him.

    Hugs, from Colorado

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too love to unplug from the real world and bind with an audio book talking in my ear. Ahhhhh! Blessings to you Bonnie. So glad Sadie is doing well. Prayers for Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Bonnie,

    I still love to bind by hand too. I find that I can stitch all the love into it that way. Also, by the time I am done I don't mind giving it away because I'm sort of sick of it!
    I don't like wonder clips either. I use old fashion metal (snap up to open - down to close) hair barrettes. They are less bulky to handle in my left hand. I got mine at the dollar store for cheap...I saw them being sold as a quilting item once for a crazy price.
    Anyways, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Thank you for everything you do for us despite everything you have going on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad Sadie is doing well. And we all need be besties to be locked in with. Hand work is relaxing and I'm glad to say I have one ready to bind.
    Your schedule is unbelievable. Prayers for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm happy to see Sadie is doing better. Binding is the next thing on my list to do I have a couple sets of table runners and place mats to do and finish putting a quilt together. Love the cartoon in your blog I actually have that problem. I have 2 cats that think when Mom sits down at the computer it is time to nap in front of my monitor (desk top version). They take turns as to who gets to sleep there. lol

    Sorry to hear that your father-in-law's time to go home is near. Praying for you and your family. May God give you traveling mercies and comfort in this time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Prayers and strength for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wish I had the time to sit and bind sometimes. I usually bind entirely by machine for the many sample quilts I make for the shop I work in. I save those special quilts for my road trips which are often one or two weekends a month when we load our horses up and travel to our remote spot in the mountains of North Arkansas. Having a busy longarm business also takes my time away from me but I try to make sitting time a priority when the hub comes home from work..You’ve inspired me to start hand binding a few more of my quilts...I’m about to start watching Stranger Things thanks to my 24yr old son who suggested it. Special prayers for you and your family during these heavy days.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I bind the same as you Bonnie. For the life of me I just don’t understand the need for clips when you’ve got a good hand. LOL But on a serious note , please take care of yourself and your family. We AlLL understand these difficult times you are In the midst of besides your quilting obligations. We are here for you.🙏🏻❤️🙏🏻

    ReplyDelete
  15. I bind like you, except the opposite way, as I'm a leftie. Do what you need to do for yourself and your family. If anyone whines about it, that is their problem,not yours!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I sew my binding in that direction too, but can never wait till the evening lol I’m always far to excited to get the quilt finished lol.
    So nice to see Saidie looking happy with her bff I love the idea of dogs having play dates.
    I’m am keeping you and your family in my prayers hope your all ok
    Love and quilty hugs xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I bind like you,right to left but I’m afraid that years of teaching textiles has left me with feeling very guilty if I don’t pin and tack the binding down before trying to invisibility sew it down.... it’s often a long search to get just the right colour thread!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I bind the same way. I have tried machine binding but am never satisfied with the result. I was binding a baby quilt last night, complete with both cats beside me on the couch, under the quilt! I like to use very close stitches for baby quilts as they get washed a lot. I was doing great last night, then discovered a place where a piece of binding didn't get caught in the seam. Sigh. Will do a repair later today and finish up tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOL! Routine is evil. I'm with you there!
    Sad that FIL's morphine dose is up. Thinking of you and the family.
    But so pleased Sadie looks like a new girl and back with her little friend! Emmy Lou! What a cheeky cat.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Prayers and hugs from Kentucky!
    I appreciate all you do for us “Quilty” friends and love sharing your life and travels through your blog. THANKS for all you do!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hand binding is my favourite part, with or without TV. Love the way these blocks have come together in the quilt. I have lots of precut triangles and made up four patches, another one for the list! Thank you for your inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  22. your post brings back fond binding memories.
    My quilter's cat, Elijah, could hardly wait to lay on top of a new quilt to give it that cat seal of approval. So whenever i would grab a quilt and sit down to hand stitch the binding down he could be found nosing underneath the corner of the quilt, looking for a nice sleeping spot.
    hugs and pats to Sadie and Emmy Lou.
    Glad to see that you're taking some 'me' time out of your busy schedule as well for that massage.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm exhausted just reading your to do list.Prayers for your Father-in-law and your brother





    ReplyDelete
  24. Bonnie I am excited and can not believe why. I am one of those who complain about all the ads on my blogs, I will admit that. Tonight while reading yours one more came up (I try to x them before they show) but I didn't get there in time. Grumbling I glanced at it(what now..) But for a second I stopped, even clicked for more info. It was for a medication that would stop a dog's constant itching. Yes our poor Bobdog has unknown allergies. They thought it probably flea spit! I live in FL very near the Gulf. We had no freeze last year (1st time in the 36yr I know). Here you are talking about your cutie and because of an ad we may have found help for our dog. Sorry to run on but I am thrilled he may finally get relief. Benadryl and prednisone did not work nor expensive grain free kangaroo food. Fingers crossed. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)