>>>>

Saturday, November 18, 2017

A Trip of Remembrance.

20171116_052920
I’m so grateful for my boys. 

Jeff who is willing to stay with Sadie and Emmy Lou while we go off to put his grandfather to rest.

And Jason, who is willing to fly with me all the way to Idaho (A 4 airport journey) to join with extended friends and family in the celebration of my father-in-law’s life.

Sacrifice comes at a cost to all.

Thanksgiving arrangements have been un-arranged and re-arranged so that Jason could have this time off of work to travel with me.  He has switched shifts with co-workers to make it work.  And he is here with me now because he will forfeited his coveted Thanksgiving holiday at the cabin in Virginia to do so.

It’s bitter-sweet, but priceless and heartfelt and there will indeed be other Thanksgivings, but this one will never be forgotten.

There were many travel mercies along our way.
20171116_111612

Not 1, not 2, but 3 first class upgrades!

Our flights were right on top of each other, the next one already boarding each time we landed – Greensboro to Atlanta to Minneapolis to Boise.  We got to each gate, but barely, but we made it.

20171116_144137

The view just before Boise.

And yes, there was some hexie stitching as I gazed out the window.  Click to play:


We met with some of my side of the family in Boise after landing. So happy to catch up with my brother Scott and his wife Alicia, their daughter Chelsea and her two little kids, my mom and my step dad!

It was way too short, but glad to grab what time we could with them. I love how tiny my mom is in the arms of my son Jason. It just fills my heart.  They hadn't seen each other in 6 years. We caught Gary in the act with a cookie!

From there we headed straight over to Ontario Middle School in Ontario, Oregon to meet up with my niece Michelle, her parents, her hubby Duane and their 3 kids – her two teenaged girls were in the midst of back-to-back cut-throat basketball games with Wieser Jr. High, a near-by rival from the Idaho side of the border.

Click and catch this action:


More family arrived all through the day yesterday, many hugs and tears and sweet remembrances being brought to the surface as old photo album pages were turned.

“Do you remember when?”

“Oh, yes – look how much in love they were.”

“It’s been a good long life.”

“It’s sad that occasions like this bring us back together, but I am grateful for them.”

20171115_201900

A Special Quilty Gift.

the Hubster Dave and his two brothers banded together over the past nearly a month – ALL of them caring for and being with their father at the end of his life, working as a team to comfort, administer and love him as he loved them.  It’s a pretty unheard of situation, these 3 brothers.

Dave’s brother Myron moved up from Texas just over a month ago as hospice care started.  He is retired and had the ability to do so and we are so grateful for him.  He will be taking home the Star Gazing quilt that Dave brought to Dad the day after I left for China.

Bruce received Christmas Lights from me last night at a family dinner.  I want both of these wonderful brothers to know how grateful I am – and how I admire the fortitude and support they gave not only to their dad, but to each other during this time.

An observation was made that “We don’t really have a reason to come this far to be together now that both parents are gone.”  I beg to differ.  Now we will make an effort to come together for GOOD times because we WANT TO.  Not because we have to, or because we feel duty bound. We will choose to.  Because life is short and precious and slipping by so quickly.

FB_IMG_1510632233163

Today we honor Carl Hatch Hunter.

And we will remember Dorothy - Bruce, Myron and Dave’s mom – as Carl is laid to rest in the family plot beside her. 

And we will hold each other, lift each other up – and remember.

IMG_20171117_171218_299000

Quiltville Quote of the Day.

Hug your loved ones tight today.


24 comments:

  1. Your boys look like Dave's dad. The trip is a sweet tribute to a wonderful life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super to have such a close family - even if they are in States far, far away. Sad but fun and that's how it's best to remember them - the good times and the love they have left to grow as the family grows. Lovely photos, thank you for sharing. Awesome snowy mountain tops too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your family's story with us Bonnie. You have no idea how uplifting it is to hear that there are still loving, kind and thoughtful men in our world. I wish this story of love and care was on the news every night to restore our faith in humanity! Big hugs to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking of you and your family today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is unusual for the men to be the caretakers. There is still some good in the world, isn't there? Big hugs to you today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My High School best friend and her husband are in the Ontario area. He is a Pastor, she is the school speech pathologist.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dang. This made me cry this morning. All good thoughts to you guys....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Funerals are the best Reunions most of the time. What memories you are making. The angels sang and there was a grand reunion at his passing. May our prayers hold you up this day. Big Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful tribute to family!

    ReplyDelete
  10. SEW sweet of you to send your FIL's quilt home with your BIL as a thank you for the care he so graciously provided. Safe travels on your trip home!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I so enjoy all of your writings! I wouldn't miss one!! This one brought tears to my eyes as I shared in your sadness and thankfulness. Enjoy the family day and know that our thoughts and prayers are with you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Family time is so precious, sometimes we don’t realise until we are all together. Safe travels Bonnie. X

    ReplyDelete
  13. I started to cry when I read, what I call the thought of the day. To me that was the most touching and true thing I have ever read. Dian

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thoughts and prayer are with you, Bonnie. Safe travels back home.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can relate to what you shared here, Bonnie. My MIL passed on very suddenly on Thursday, from a stroke. So in the midst of my birthday dinner at Maddox (remember that place?) we turned around and went back home, just in time to spend her last 1 1/2 hours with her. Now all the family is preparing to come together for Thanksgiving, and a funeral two days later. Yes, there will be other Thanksgivings.

    ReplyDelete
  16. MY sympathies to your family during this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bonnie,
    Your two boys remind me of my two boys. How lucky you are to have a travel companion and a trusted pet minder. I too will have only one of mine home for Thanksgiving. (Sniff sniff).
    Condolences to you and your family. How blessed you are to have been so close to your in-laws. Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  18. what a wonderful family you are! I frequently thank you for your contribution to my life in so many ways... sharing this intimate family time is tearfully accepted as another such. Happy thoughts for future happy reunions, it's dicey to make it happen and i know you will... all of you...damp hugs from Carlsbad, CA <3 Cats

    ReplyDelete
  19. My Prayers and thought's and Condolences are with you and your family, May the Grace of God help you and your family to get through this difficult time of your loss

    ReplyDelete
  20. So good that Dave and his brothers were able to be there to care for thei dad at the end. Prayers for you and your family, hope you all have a safe and uneventful journey home.

    Love and quilty hugs
    Anne xxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. You have been blessed Bonnie with a wonderful family! Thank you for sharing your stories with us. My family are in Europe and when they are very sick I can't go home because my husband can't take care of himself.we are all so spread out. My brother in law is very ill with Cancer and I feel so bad that I can't be with her in Les Provenance France. My other sister and brother are in the Netherlands. We stay in touch but being so far away is hard.
    Thank you for sharing your post about your family with us.
    G-D bless you Bonnie!
    Hugs and love for all the caring you do.
    Yoka Bazilewich

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such an eloquent tribute to your family. Keeping you all my thoughts and prayers

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)