>>>>

Monday, June 18, 2012

Cherry------BOOM!!

When I met Pauline, after having only known her via email up to this point, trying to get everything all arranged for my visit up to North East, I INSTANTLY knew I liked this woman!

She has a warmth and exuberance that can’t be matched. She has taken care of every detail to pull this visit together and its been seamless.

When she asked yesterday if I’d like to stop and see her family’s cherry orchards ---I was ALL over that!

My mom and step dad had peach/apricot/pear orchards in Idaho—and some of my favorite summer memories revolve around those trees and their bounty.

This picture is Pauline telling me --- “Not THOSE ones, there are riper ones over here!” She didn’t know I was just photographing their beautiful color ---but when she said “ripe, ready to eat” my mouth began to water and I moved quickly to where she lead.

I had just started picking when a big BOOM!!!!! scared the pants right off me!

And then, less than a minute later – BOOM!!!

OH_PA_june2012 411

She quickly explained that the booms go off to scare the birds so they don’t eat all the fruit. It makes sense --- but boy did it scare me too, even though I KNEW it was going to boom again on cue ---it reminded me of those little wind up jack in the boxes we used to have as kids --- you’d crank the handle, the song would play and you just KNEW that thing was going to pop up and scare you ---

OH_PA_june2012 413

But Boom or no Boom – How SWEET is this, to be taken to Pauline’s cherry orchard to pick my own sweet cherries and carry them back to where I’m staying?

Oh the bounty of summer --- it goes too quickly, better be sure to take notice of every amazing moment ----

And remember to catch the juice that is dripping off my chin in the process!

23 comments:

  1. I love cherries! Could you pick some for me too please?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:27 AM EDT

    That is so neat. You sure get to indulge in so many different things. How fun and delicious for you.
    Maryella

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those cherries are beautiful and I can almost taste them. My parents live in Ohio and have pie cherry trees that are ripe when they look like the first picture. Wish I was there to pick a few, but I know my Mother will freeze some and make me a pie when I get to visit later this summer. There is nothing like fresh cherries picked off the tree. Lucky Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are cherry orchards about 30 miles from here--I love to stop for fresh cherries--sometimes even go to the U-pick places. This is making my mouth water.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh those cherries make my mouth water! You've just GOT to do a scrappy-stringy quilt and name it "Cherry Red" or something! Maybe with brown/tan cross hatches like a cherry pie ... how kewl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We only have a few trees and I put rubber snakes and pie tins in and move them around to scare the birds off. It works, but I was climbing in the tree once picking and came across the snake I had placed and screamed my guts out! LOL!

    Lucy~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, the perks of your travels! And the quilting inspiration it provides....I can already see you designing a beautiful Red String Cherry Boom quilt block. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cindy, The Purple Quilter8:59 AM EDT

    Yum, yum! I am eating local cherries with my breakfast! Life is good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH wow, they are so lovely. Do I see a deep red fabric in one of your future quilts???

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous9:10 AM EDT

    YUM! Bonnie you do take us to wondrful places on your blog. The cherries look absolutely delicious. Thinking about all those cherry recipes... do they have a Cherry Festival?

    Thanks for sharing with us.
    JulieinTN

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bonnie, when we lived in Mississippi near the Nissan plant outside of Jackson there was a "sonic" boom that would scare the pants off of us till we got used to it!! This sonic boom was only used when there were major thunderstorms coming that would/could possibly produce hail. Hail? yep, hail that could damage the brand new Nissan cars that were parked outside waiting to be transported to the dealerships..cars that they did not want to have hail damage. Some how, I don't have a clue how, but this sonic boom would change the local air and hail would not be able to form...I don't have clue how this happens...but it did. Also when we lived there, I thought we were having minor earthquakes...tremors...I used to live in California...anyway....we would feel "booms" or earth shaking movements under our feet in the house or outside. Turns out the city was checking for carbon pockets in the ground. Go figure!
    Those colors from the cherries!! I see a quilt coming in our near future!! LOL Happy Sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those cherries look yummy, ours in the UK will not be ripe for ages yet but we have strawberries in the garden and warm from the sun they are so good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have described Pauline to a 'T'. I hope you are enjoying your visit in North East!

    ReplyDelete
  14. how neat, i've never seen one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh YUM! I love fresh cherries... and cherry pie... and cherry cobbler! We haven't gotten a cherry tree to last here yet... we keep trying though!

    hm

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh the sweetness of cherries! I picked and froze 4 quarts last week. They were delicious and they will be even better when not in season.

    ReplyDelete
  17. many years ago we lived close to a 'you pick' blueberry farm. they did those big booms too. they also had some funky balloon type thingies that were supposed to help keep the birds away. those blueberries were the best ever.

    ReplyDelete
  18. They look so yummy!!! I love to travel with you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What beautiful cherries! We are too far south to grow them here in Houston, but I sure would if I could. Enjoy yours!

    ReplyDelete
  20. When we were stationed in Germany, our landlord had several cherry trees in the back yard. I remember how he would put netting over them in an attempt to keep the birds off. For the most part, it worked, though occasionally we'd see a bird hanging onto the netting while eating. But those fresh cherries always tasted better than the ones we bought at the store!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Made my mouth water. could taste them, they look so yummy. They are 6.99 a pound here.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)