>>>>

Friday, January 13, 2012

What a Scrappy Trip!


This is a big hello from the Sunshine Quilters who met for a Scrappy Trips workshop at Memory Lane Quilt Shop in El Cajon, California! We packed the classroom with 24 wonderful quilters, raring to go with bundles of 2.5” strips at the ready!

Feeling stuck inside your own scrap stash? Feeling like you can’t make a thing with all these mismatched bits?  Think again!!

The technique for this quilt is extremely simple, but the fun comes with swapping strips and forcing yourself out of that back you’ve sewn yourself into!

socal_jan_2012 135

Here’s a wild hello from the “OTHER” side of the room!  Doesn’t it lok like we are having a bunch of fun? We were!

socal_jan_2012 159

There was a whole lot of power sewing, chain piecing of strip sets, and swapping of strips for more variety!  The two quilts you see hanging are my samples --- the small one with the red border being made with 2.5” strips --- all 16 blocks being gifted to me by quilters from all over…these are THEIR leftovers!  The quilt with the green border is made with 2'” strips…it’s amazing how a simple change in scale can really intensify the design!  Why 2” strips?  Simple….the drawer wouldn’t shut anymore, so this was my way to make a dent in them!

I’ve uploaded a boat load of “in progress” photos to the slide show below…get a cuppa --- enjoy a browse-through, and you too might find yourself wanting to try one of these!

This was my busy busy day --- after the workshop was over, we loaded up the car and headed on over to Chula Vista for my meeting with the Quilt Guild there! We didn’t have a lot of time for dinner, and I wasn’t really THAT hungry ((How can I be, when every time I turn around they are feeding me!)) and we decided to do something TOTALLY “Southern California” that I could not get anywhere in North Carolina ----


socal_jan_2012 181

Don Pedro Taco Shop in Chula Vista!  I’d never been to a “Taco Shop” before, but they are all over down here!

socal_jan_2012 183
I love the hand written menu! The food smelled so good, the people were friendly, and prices couldn’t be beat!  And the portions were HUGE!

socal_jan_2012 184

Carne Asada Nachos with Guacamole!  YUMMMMYYY!!  It was enough for 3 people, and there were left overs when we were done!

It’s a good thing Sandi and I took some time to power walk all this good stuff off --- or attempt to anyway ;c)

14 comments:

  1. And yes I want to make a scrappy trip..do you use half of the strips for more variation? Looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED looking at all the workshop photos! What a great time those quilters had! They will always remember that fun Bonnie Hunter day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great slideshow today Bonnie. Looks like everyone had so much fun. I'm halway through a scrappy trip and the slideshow has inspired me to finish it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right, I want to make one. Love those bow ties!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that a couple of the quilters chose to do a consistant colour as the centre diagonal strip (or solid on the 30s). I tried the Scrappy Trips and didn't really like the effect (although I loved Scrappy Bargello) but this might be the key to it working for me!! Thanks so much for sharing all the photos it is such fun to see all the different fabrics people work with and the different effects it creates :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I spent an afternoon on the beach in San Diego one time after a conference and remember the taco stands. Yummy! I would have them every meal if I could.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Scrappy Trips was already on my "Bonnie's patterns bucket list". Fun to get more inspiration.
    Taco trucks and stands abound out here in the west!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Scrappy Trips is the quilt I have made more times than any other....I usually don't use the same pattern repeatedly, but I have now made 7 quilts from Scrappy Trips blocks and I'm sure there are more in my future. Sometimes I'm very random but usually I choose a color family or single fabric to form the diagonal. I won some Scrappy Trips blocks in a block lotto and due to size discrepancies i ended up trimming them all to the smallest size and putting them together with sashings and cornerstones andsset all the blocks the same direction....turned out quite nice if I do say so myself!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've made several of these...what a fantastic baby quilt it makes, throw in some novelty fabrics and its a I spy quilt too.
    I'm just waiting for that strip drawer to fill up again before another one comes off my machine :0).
    thanks Bonnie for spreading your quilting love.

    Yeah southern California is a little bit of paradise....

    Happy Sewing, safe travels

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks for the slide show, always enjoy these. i started a scrappy quilt, but something wasn't working. is there a simple secret i'm missing? light/dark was what i was going with. i have a large tub of 2 1/2 strips,,,please advise. :>)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sure looks like you're having a good time! And the food doesn't look half bad, either. Glad you're not going hungry!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. We made Scrappy Trips for the "Block Lotto Blog" last year. So fun, one of my first quilts was a TATW. My friend helped me make it. Thank heavens for Quilting Friends!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wish I had known you were here in San Diego!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anyone else enlarge the Taco menu and decide what they wanted to eat? LOL. Scrappy Trips is on my wish list for one day.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)