>>>>

Friday, April 12, 2024

Hanging With The Quilt District!


I had a few minutes to spare before the first arrival of quilters after my Easter/Spring break!

It wouldn't be long until The Quilt District gals pulled up the drive and began unloading ALL the things needed for a week long stay.

And I was giddy with anticipation!

I sat and rocked her on the front porch - just enjoying the little bit of misty rain and how everything has turned such a luscious green.

Green.  It's a color I really miss seeing during the long winter months.  And.....it's BACK!


And so is the Quilt District!

Once again the halls and rooms are filled with chatter and laughter - I snapped this photo as two happy quilters were dropping their luggage into their bedroom - I love these smiling faces over the vintage quilts hung over the upper landing.


As they took time to unload things to the porch, and move empty vehicles to the parking area (The new rock wall Hubster Dave started building has helped parking greatly!) I grabbed a pair of kitchen shears and set out to snip the last of the best daffodils' from behind the inn.

They are mostly tired now - but the white ones still look pretty good.

I filled a vintage milk bottle and set the bouquet on the guest book table in the front foyer for all to enjoy.

Which reminds me....that clock needs a new battery!

And then it was dinner time, and time for me to go home - early to bed, because EARLY to rise came extra early yesterday morning.

It was dermatologist surgery day.  Right on time.  Not a month early.

And 5am felt like midnight and was just as dark.


6:45 am.  

I arrived just as they were unlocking the front door.


And here's me - barely awake thinking "This gown might make a nice neutral....."


I came dressed for the occasion - my Polish sneakers adding a festive flair to my surgical ensemble.

They got rave reviews from my 3 person team - surgeon, and two nurses.

And seriously - this is the most fun surgical procedure I've ever had. The conversation and laughter put me at ease.

And hey - they were playing MY genre of music. Queen.  Journey. If this is what they'll be playing in my nursing home, I'll be fine.

The conversation was engaging and fun - and once I was numbed up both shoulder blade and arm the cutting away and stitching back together didn't take much time at all.

Numb is my friend.

I told the surgeon that I was a quilter after all, and he better make sure to bury his knots.  LOL!

I was done and out the door and back at the inn by 9:30 am.


I walked right up the front porch steps to find that there was a finished top photo op already taking place!

This is for a granddaughter - something for the fair - I can't remember all of the details but it is cute!  And a fast finish.


THIS is underway!

It's an intensive paper piecing project inspired by Van Gogh's painting.


3 sections together.

What a great retreat project!  When you have the time to sit and work on something like this for several days in a row - it's going to be amazing when done.

Also great to have this as a kit so you don't have to gather the right shades of 104 solids yourself. 


This cover quilt from American Quilter -


Is being made here at retreat!

I love the polka dots, animal prints and stripes.  Cute!


I spy something patriotic on a lovely vintage Singer 301!


Curves, baby!


Oh fun houses!


Temperature quilts are also a theme this retreat -


I love the dots on denim!

This started a discussion bringing up memories of the first quilt block I ever made.

I was 13 and going to girl's camp for Campfire Girls. 

Embroidery on denim was a big thing in the mid 1970's.  We were all to embroider a square of our choice on denim and bring it to camp (this was for some bead/badge thing that Campfire Girls earned) and we would all help putting the quilt together from the embroidered blocks - 

The quilt top was layered with a poly batting (all that was available then) and a red cotton flannel backing.  

It was all tacked into a frame and we spent time tacking the corners with red acrylic yarn.

At the end of camp everyone that put in a block had their name put in a jar and a winner was drawn.

I was the winner of my very first quilt - one I had a block in.

That quilt was the take to football games, beach, picnic, sunbathing in the backyard, drive in movies quilt.

I still had it when I was newly married, b ut it wore out over time and I really don't remember its fate.

But that embroidered block and the tying of that quilt - and winning that quilt - set me on my quilting journey.

Anyway - it's a long story and seeing these embroidered dots on denim brought all of this flooding back.


Another temperature quilt underway - 

I'll get photos of the "mother ship" when I have a chance this weekend.

As to what I am diving into next?  I gave a bit of a hint on Wednesday's Post.

Click To Play:
@quiltville_bonnie While watching the NASA feed of the eclipse the other day a new quilt was quickly drawn up and I am diving in head first! ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ–ค๐Ÿ’œ⁣ ⁣ ⁣ #quiltville #quilt #quilting #quilttok #quiltersoftiktok ♬ Crafty Convention - DJ BAI

Tada!

This is what I drew up after watching the Nasa feed of the eclipse earlier this week.
 

One test block made (in all of the colors that other folks say they don't like, mind you! LOL!) I set right in to piece the purple kites and get those out of the way - this will make things easier enabling me to work with one bin of strings at a time and clean up that mess before pulling the next bin out to do the next part.


Yes, there MUST be purple!


I only need about 100 or so - give or take a few!

Click to Play:
@quiltville_bonnie Dove ride in with both feet! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ⁣ ⁣ I need a hundred or so of these. ๐Ÿคช⁣ ⁣ If anyone needs me, you know where to find me!๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ‘✂️๐Ÿ’Ÿ๐Ÿงต⁣ ⁣ #quiltville #quilt #quilting #quilttok #quiltersoftiktok ♬ Spring is Coming - Han Seung Wook

Many more to go. But - I'm jazzed!!


One stack - depapred while watching TV.


Last evening's cloudy sky as I headed off to dinner.

Today finishing touches will be going on the PDF pattern for Licorice Twist.

That release is coming up on Monday - be watching for it.

And if I get that done, I'll be back at the machine making more string pieced purple kites. And visiting with the Quilt District folks! (And a dentist appointment this afternoon that shouldn't take long.)

What do you have planned for Friday?


Quiltville Quote of the Day -

Any type of relationship is meaningless if you can't actively express your genuine emotions without feeling ashamed or "less than".
Always trust your gut feelings. They are usually accurate.
That said, we all need to remember to extend the same courtesy to others.
We don’t always have to agree or feel the need to debate things all the time trying to convince others that “Their view is wrong, our view is right.”
Happy Friday!


 

26 comments:

  1. Yep, the gown would indeed make a nice neutral! :-) Love your Polish sneakers.
    Bonnie, you're so talented, thanks for being such a wonderful quilting inspiration.
    Can't wait to see progress and finishes from the Quilt District Gals!
    My Friday might be helping stain our wooden fence...but I really hope it's me sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:59 AM EDT

    Love: "This gown might make a nice neutral....." Sandy W.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That a girl, Bonnie. Let this be my public service announce to get those moles checked. One year ago I went to the dermatologist to have a large brown spot on my face removed. While there I had her check and mole and she said it was probably nothing but would remove it and send in for testing. After being diagnosed with malignant melanoma, surgery with a large gash down my arm, treatments, and a second cancer found in a routine scan, I'm two treatments away from being cancer free. Keep us posted on your test results.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:16 AM EDT

    I actually made some squares from a (new) open in the back hospital gown for a memory quilt - not that exact print but similar. It did make a good neutral.

    Glad your surgery is behind you and hope the healing process is quick and easy.

    Ceci

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha, indeed it makes a good neutral.
    Glad you had a good experience.
    Your sneakers are too cute.
    My Friday is going to be cutting and sewing the geese for Bristol outer border listening to the radio. Can't ask for anything better than that.
    Glad you're back.
    Have a Sparkling good day
    Blessings ๐Ÿ’ž

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:32 AM EDT

    the picture from your porch looks like there is a smelter across the road, but on closer look it appears it is hanging from the porch? what is it? -love your new block. can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a hanging wind sock.

      Delete
    2. Juana Ibanez1:56 PM EDT

      I just figured Bonnie was playing with AI photography and inserted a tree trunk to see if we'd notice. This site always brings a smile to my face! Thank you!

      Delete
  7. LOVE the campfire girls story!!! I cannot recall at the moment, why/how I started quilting... I'll have to ponder that, it's been about sixty or so years... hmm...I do recall thefirst library books i took out about quilting were all about making many idetical cardboard pieces. so as we traced them on our fabric and they became worn and wonky, we would always have a new supply, so our fabric would be the same size!! and all the many names of some of the same blocks!! it never seemed tedious or especially repetitive at the time, but we surely have rendered the quiltimaking process more streamlined and more fun! The price of cotton fabric however is subject for different discussion... re-purposing shirts is a boon... xo xo Cats in Carlsbad CA Rent a UHaul and you and the hubster journey to Carlsbad.... I'll gift you much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was my first thought, too, when I saw the gown! Hope your biopsy test results come back okay. The latest block you designed is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous10:47 AM EDT

    While hospitalized for knee replacement, the gown used for those who needed assistance in walking was a lovely Cheddar print.....somehow I was issued two & one conveniently ended up in amongst my soiled clothes. I have used bits & pieces in many quilts and also sent a piece to Bonnie Hunter as she is a known lover of Cheddar. It is a pleasant reminder that not all things are scary in the hospital. BTW, the knee is superb!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG! Bonnie you have outdone yourself! I am over the moon in love with your latest project! I know it will be months before you are ready to share the pattern for this latest project and I will wait with bated breath for the release date of this new project! Wow, Wow, Wow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I love purple! and it looks so good with the oranges and yellows. I think color has a lot to do with combos. Sometimes colors I am not fond of work really well with other colors. If I didn't already have so many projects to start, I would do a scrap quilt or even that Starry Night. Man, here I go again..."look a squirrel". No, no I have to finish my UFO's! Sandra, in Colorado

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aquiltergirl12:28 PM EDT

    Laughed when I read your comment about your surgical gown - and then even more when I read some of the comments. I put pieces of the last gown my mom wore into the quilt that lives at the foot of our bed, and more pieces into other quilts. The remains reside in the tote for your Straits design.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kathy Souza12:46 PM EDT

    I was a Blue Bird/Camp Fire Girl back in the 60s. Loved earning those beads to sew onto my vest. I even remember my native american name-Yolo. I wasn't fortunate enough to have the inspired crafting experience you had, but I value all I learned with this group. Glad spring is coming for you. It's a spirit lifter, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Almost 3 months ago I had my first doctor appointment to check for skin cancer. The world was speaking to me, my Mom, a cousin, you had mentioned skin cancer and Pat Sloan also has talked about her experiences. Luckily nothing was found for me except a small suspicious mole. They did a biopsy it was fine but Wednesday it was removed. For me it was in an unusual place, under the left breast. Because I am so sensitive to the adhesive used on bandages they decided just to place gauze over the wound and hold it in place by my bra. Doctor said to sleep with it on, for a very long week! Oh Boy I can't wait to take it off!!! Thank you for sharing your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my! That block is beautiful! I had to LOL at the neutral gown. Glad everything went well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous2:31 PM EDT

    Yes! Journey, Queen, Genesis are my favs! Mandy L.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sandi. from Missouri3:16 PM EDT

    I LOVE every single color in your eclipse block! How in the world can purple not be liked and purple and orange together? Outstanding! Love your Polish shoes. I'm going to Germany this fall and will definitely be on the lookout for some outstanding shoes to remind me of my adventures! Thanks for always inspiring me and prayers for the mole removal to be A OK!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love, love, love the new quilt color combination. It makes my heart sing! So joyful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nikki Moshier5:57 PM EDT

    Love the new block!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, what a great way to start a Friday post... sitting on the rocker on the front porch! I am glad you had a good experience yesterday & everything went smooth. I love the weekend posts. There is always so much inspiration. Have a fabulous weekend... there is a trip to the quilt shop in store for me!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Woo Hoo! Love that test block!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You're inspired by the eclipse but I see pinatas--this is a great party quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous10:14 PM EDT

    Will we need eclipse glasses to view the finished quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anonymous5:19 PM EDT

    The picture from the back porch looks like a painting. Such beautiful country side you have all around you. I am a country girl at heart stuck in the city.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)