>>>>

Thursday, April 04, 2024

April Fools???


What is this white stuff I woke up to this morning?

I haven't taken a snow-day-sew-day all winter long - and now it shows up on April 4th?

It's currently coming down pretty good.

But we should be reaching near 40 by this afternoon so it's safe to say that nothing will stick.  I'm glad for that.

But this is still nuts!  We were in the high 70s over the weekend.  Sheesh!

Click to Play:

@quiltville_bonnie Where is my WTF sign?? It won't stick around long as we should be hitting near 40 by this afternoon, but I'm so over this winter! 🥶❄️🥶 #quiltville #blueridgemountains #appalachia #swva ♬ Winter Melody - Jacob's Piano


Snow Day Sew Day!


We have quite a few newbies.  And I did a little video and posted it up to YouTube - a refresher on my sticky seam guide, a little chat about all of the things that have to work together to bring us to unit size, and I got to try out a chest mount for my phone. 

(That was a learning experience but could prove useful in the future!)

Click to Play:


It's always good to have a refresher!


These 3 things I can't live without.

You can find the litle yellow seam guides in the Quiltville Store.  They come in singles, 3 pack or 6 pack.  And use code NOTIONS at checkout to save 15%.  Code must be used for discount to apply.  There are instructions (with photos) on the front page of the Quiltville Store  showing you just where to put the code on the shopping cart page. Don't forget!

*NOTE* You need to put the code in BEFORE you click to your payment method for discount coupon to be applied.


I got a start on this!


I'm quilting with an ivory thread in an edge to edge design called Espalier by Hermione Agee for Lorien Quilting.


And I even chose a binding!

This chartreuse sold was left over from my New River Star quilt. 

And you know how I love using the Sew Q Laser to join those binding strips on the diagonal.  Works like a charm.  Every. Time.


Yep!  That binding is just the ticket!


Lola, on top of  Big String Quartet begging me to stay home with her instead of heading down the mountain in the snow - but someone has to feed Tula Lou and Flash.. (And yes, he has been around but is still super disappear-y if he sees you!)

There is a quilt to finish quilting, and a binding/sleeve/label to attach and hopefully I'll be in my comfy chair this evening stitching a binding down.

Which reminds me - someone asked in a comment if I "ALWAYS" put a sleeve on before binding.

I put sleeves on for a couple of reasons - the first being photography.  If it's going to be hung for photography then yes, it needs a sleeve and it is easiest to put it on with the binding and be done with it.

That said - I did NOT put a sleeve on Big String Quartet because it was king sized and wasn't ever going to hang in an exhibit.

I put sleeves on things I know are going to hang at the inn - or may hang somewhere at some point.

I'm dreadfully grateful for the sleeves I had put on ahead of time for everything that is going to the Quilter's Hall of Fame.  So far I've only had to put a sleeve on one quilt - Jason's log cabin from when he was 3. All the others already had sleeves and that really helps.

So the answer I guess is "mostly" "sometimes" "often" "it depends."


Quiltville Quote of the Day -

.Instead of putting others in their place, put yourself in their place.
Oftentimes, this will lead to the realization that your problems are not as bad as you think they ar
Vintage 16 patch quilt found in North Carolina.

Happy Thursday - snow or no snow!


 

15 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the seam guide tip. It makes so much sense. Also the hint about keeping the line on the fabric, not the mat has made my cutting much more accurate and my units work out the way they should..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:23 AM EDT

    The video was clear about how to set up for correct seam allowance. I'm still having trouble with achieving that level of exactness because of the different weights of scrappy, old-and-new fabrics in my stash. A high quality printed quilting fabric takes up more in the fold, than batik, for example. And how true, when we're working with smaller pieces, it matters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. April's fool is right! Still snowing here at 10:30am . And cold.
    Lola looks happy. Snuggling on one of my favorite quilts.
    Love your apple green binding!
    Have a good day
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh thank you for sharing your talent, knowledge and life! II noticed while reading your post, i frequently look for the "Like" button, of course there is not one, but I must be facebook trained, and want to indicatemy "agreement" with your comments!!! LOL, for the snow... we on the west coas(San Diego County( t are having days of sunny warm, open the doors and windows, punctuated by weekends of rain rain rain...hugs and blessings Cats in Carlsbad CA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here in SE MN - we've had more snow in both the end of March and beginning April than we had in November, December, January or February combined. What the heck?!? I got out my Quiltmaker magazine - I think today feels like a great day to try a couple of Square Peg blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:48 AM EDT

    "Sometimes it snows in April"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous12:11 PM EDT

    It’s snowing in Oregon too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous1:20 PM EDT

    Snowing here in Alaska after having none for the last 6 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Becky Heath2:29 PM EDT

    That sticky seam guide is one of the best quilting tips I have ever gotten! Having that raised guide makes piecing so much easier, especially as I get older and my eyesight isn't what it used to be.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous3:40 PM EDT

    Think you meant to say you DID NOT put a "sleeve" on the Big String Quartet, but you did put binding.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous3:41 PM EDT

    And YOU thought April 1 was April Fool's Day! Gotcha! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much for the info about the seam guide!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mother Nature plays the best jokes, doesn't she?! HA! We have a total solar eclipse on Monday. Everyone is holding their breath because they are starting to forecast it cloudy with a chance of rain in the evening... after the big event! I'm just ready to talk about something else... like that quilt on the long arm!! I always love it when there is a quilt on the long arm... there is something to be said when it's at that point. Especially if it's a bugger to piece!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous1:34 PM EDT

    Excellent video. I also line up my cutting line on top of my fabric, well actually I ooch it over a couple thread widths so that I can see a bit of fabric peeking out.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous6:47 PM EDT

    Thank you Bonnie! That makes so much sense to me and thank you for sharing your tips about using a card and the tape. ❤️

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)