>>>>

Tuesday, December 03, 2019

Willkommen in Nürnberg!


We made it!

I met up with my Quiltville Goes to Bavaria travelers at JFK airport, New York – and other than the flight being extremely bumpy, it was uneventful and I slept through at LEAST half of it (missing the breakfast portion!) which was something that never happens on a flight – I was THAT tired.

But that enabled me to hit the ground running the moment we landed in Munich and started the process of gathering luggage (There are 42 of us total!) and making our way to the bus for our first excursion of the day – A leisurely time strolling the streets of Nürnberg and enjoying not only the Christmas markets, but the all around street scenes and shops and restaurants – Oh, this is so wonderful!


Oh, I’m in love already!


Made even better by the sounds of brass horns!


One little Christkindlesmarkt shop.

So so so very Bavarian!


We will be seeing a lot of this during our time here.

I’m not ready to make my choices yet -


Old architecture mixed with new.


The back of the cathedral -


And the front.


Fresh market -


Meat shop!


In the meat shop window -

TOO CUTE!


Snow balls!

I remember these from last time – I will definitely have one of these!


Greenery for decorating.  Can you smell it?


The beauty of stained glass windows.


Centuries old door hardware.  Beauty in function!


There is no way to capture it all in just a few photos.


Warm goodness after loads of walking!


Cheers, Irene!


Lebkuchen!



Yes, a camel, a donkey, and a llama!


I loved it all – especially just the street scenes.


It is such a magical city!


Nürnberg!

After our time here it was a 3 hour drive to Aschau, our home base for the next few days.

Up on deck today is a visit to a glass blower, and then on to Innsbruck, Austria for more market shopping and soaking up this beautiful corner of the world at the most beautiful time of year.

Temps are in the 30s – long johns are my best investment because jeans are just not all that warm when it comes right down to it.  Wool socks, boots, down jacket, hat, gloves, scarf – it’s a layer it all on kind of experience, and the constant walking keeps us toasty.

And the gluhwein, always the gluhwein!

And this is what JUST now happened – 7am, bells started ringing, I threw open my window and greeted the day -




Quiltville Quote of the Day -

Vintage grandmother's flower garden quilt shared by Kevin the Quilter.

It's this time of year that I start thinking about my word of focus for the next year.

In difficult situations, I find it hard to find the perseverance to see me through.

Perseverance is what it takes while waiting for better things come together.

I think I found my word.

Have a wonderful Tuesday, everyone!


25 comments:

  1. Beautiful scenery I’m sure you all have a wonderful time looking around. I love to watch glass blowers it’s magical how they take a molten blob and turn it into a beautiful piece of usable and decorative glass.
    Love and quilty hugs
    Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's layer upon layer upon layer. Remember Sara Lee.. this is such a beautiful trip to follow you on.
    Enjoy every moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to Germany - I live some way north from Nürnberg. But next to us there is a small and old village called Sommerhausen you should definitely visit the next time.
    It's not a market as normal. At the weekends before Christmas you can have a look into many buildings where the owners are selling special handmade artwork. Or you can have Glühwein and Bratwurst in some inner courtyards.
    Many tourists from all over the world are coming because it is absolutely lovely and contemplative.

    Have a nice time here in Germany

    ReplyDelete
  4. This reminds me of my trip to Bavaria and Austria two years ago. Enjoy the gluwein and great food!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sehr schön!Enjoy.I love the little red boots with Glühwein.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved hearing the bells! Thanks for sharing. Have a GREAT day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love these photos - what a wonderful experience. Enjoy, Bonnie. Have 2 of the snowballs. You deserve them. Frolic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoy Germany...as I'm sure you all will. If it wasn't for the architecture, the blue skies and 'no snow' might make me wonder if that was where you were. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for the bells - I used to live in Italy, and boy oh boy do I miss those bells! And the street pictures - love them, they give one such a "feel" of the place.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hearing the church bells is a sound I miss a lot. Especially on New Years Eve, when first the old year gets rung out, followed by the 12 strikes for midnight, and then with a higher bell the New Year is welcomed. Even the radio will play it and for years I had my husband tape it, so that I could hear it and start the year right.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Bonnie, thank you for sharing your travels. I just love the scenery and I loved hearing the bells. Can't wait to get my Quiltville blog every morning. Makes my day! Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I so miss Europe! The fresh food markets and the slow way of life...it’s so calming! Have a wonderful time everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Enjoyed so much your photos from Nuremberg. We were there 2 months ago at the beginning of a cruise from there to Amsterdam. We took several photos of hubby on that side of St Lorenz, not what I'd think is the front with the huge medallion, because in the 1940's there was photo taken of his dad in the same location. Had some marvelous lebkuchen from a little shop in the Market Square. Hoping to replicate it this month. Enjoy your trip, and keep posting the photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would love to be a mouse in your pocket! You live such an exciting and wonderful life! Thank you so much for sharing so much of it with us.
    Have a blessed and safe trip!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Enjoy Germany Advent,it is beautiful!We vizit every Advent Dresden or Seiffen in Saxony and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for taking us back with you, and for me it's very special, it's the region where I grew up :)
    Enjoy your travels!!!
    Monika, Himmelgarten Quilts, New Zealand

    ReplyDelete
  17. You had me at Liebkuchen.....lol...thank goodness we have ALDI!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your Aschau im Chiemgau video brought tears to my eyes. We lived there for many years. If I'm not mistaken you were near the Post Hotel when shooting. I stood there many times looking at the town. Are the steps still there that lead down to the church?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hallo Bonnie,
    ich wünsche Ihnen viel Freude und eine wunderschöne Zeit in meiner Heimat! Ich hätte Sie sehr gerne getroffen, doch es hat leider nicht geklappt. Vielleicht später einmal?! Liebe Grüße Ina

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the photos. Would love to experience the Christmas markets.
    Have been to Germany in Oct but would love Dec. Will enjoy through your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh so jealous. Lived in Nurnberg for 2 1/2 yrs., our apt. was across the street from huge park with 3 swimming pools and on the other side of the park you could see the building where the Nurnberg Trials took place. If I leaned out the window I could see the castle; especially beautiful at night when lit up. The Christmas market was a 15 minute walk- loved the gluhwein. Hope you had some of the brats to go with it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, the bells! The streets, it looks just beautiful and magical. Would love to visit some day. Jan in MA

    ReplyDelete
  23. WOW just WOW Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. We are lucky to have a German market come to Birmingham England every year for Advent.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)