>>>>

Monday, March 17, 2008

The Mysterious NEXT MYSTERY!

I've been getting mail asking for more specifics on the next Mystery! I originially said I was going to start posting it on April 1st. I know that is looking closer!

You know, I moved just ONE MONTH ago? It was Feb 11th when the moving van dumped everything on my door step. That one month anniversary passed a few days ago, and it occurred to me that out of that one month...I've spent 2 weeks of that time out on the road teaching!

So I know you are anxious for more info. I've got the Mystery quilt designed. I've got it broken down into units, how many of what, etc. I've got part of it made so I can show you samples. I am figuring yardage, because if I go by what EQ says...you need more than 25 yards for a 70X90 quilt top! *LOL* So I'm cutting pieces myself to see how many of what I can get out of a yard, and going from there.

Parts of this quilt are scrappy. Parts of it aren't, so there will be yardage you can find hopefully in your stash. I want you to shop your stashes FIRST. That is the challenge!

For now, I will tell you that you need approx 1.5 yard of assorted (meaning every color as long as it reads dark) dark 2" strips, any length. Because it is a scrappy unit, the number of strips you may need may vary depending on how many sub-units you can get from the length of your scrap strip.

To go with the 1.5 yards of assorted dark 2' strips, you need the same amount (approx 1.5 yard) of 2" light strips.

If you don't have enough strips, you can start culling through your FQs and scraps, pulling out things to cut into 2" strips. Throw in some un-loved pieces. Throw in some "ehhhhh" stuff that is okay, but you are tired of seeing it laying around. Throw in something that is just NOT your style that somehow crept into your stash. Try to get a good variety of colors, as in....everything but the kitchen sink!

That should be enough to get you started. In about a week, I'll have the rest of the yardage figured and will post that.

This quilt uses the EZ angle ruler. Many of you will have this from our last mystery, but if you don't have one, you can get one HERE!

I will also include the "traditional" rotary cutting directions for any parts that require a specific ruler, but believe me, this ruler is terrific!

Bear with me...I have many irons in the fire right now! I guess part of the Mystery is not knowing when I'll be able to post the next clue! *LOL*

7 comments:

  1. Your energy and organization amaze me-- I am so grateful for all of your hard work in sharing your love of quilting. My quilting group has decided to take on the next mystery after seeing the results of the first mystery. Your work is amazing and we are so fortunate that you are so generous with your time and talents. Bless you a thousand times over!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. test, test...comments aren't showing up in my email! (*&@#$(*&(#*@

    ReplyDelete
  3. test again!! Still not showing up in in box! (*&@#$(*&!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Testing for you. ;)

    I hope I dont have to miss this one. I LOVED the last one. Praying for well timed love, *karendianne. (aka: take your time!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I'm going to have to jump in on this one! Note about EQ . . . in calculating yardage, the basis for wach piece is a square. So, in the case of a triangle, it would essentially be throwing away every other triangle. Calculating about 60 to 65% of what EQ recommends when using shapes other than squares or rectangles is generally more on target.

    I've been cleaning up my stash, so I'm ready to go shopping there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah! I am looking forward to your new mystery. I didn't get in on the last one and really wish I would have. I'm going to be going through my stash and gathereing up what I need. Thank you for all you do, I don't know how you do it all :cD

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so excited that I have found your website and blog. You are awesome. Anxiously awaiting the mystery quilt!!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)