>>>>

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Spring In My Hood!

The changing of the seasons always fills me with a sense of wonder. I love living in a place where I get to experience all four seasons, but really, If I had to put them in order of preference, I would list SPRING as my favorite....even though it tends to pass the quickest, turning from bare branches and brown grass to full blown green and hot summer within just a few short weeks (if not sooner! Remember, it was 90 on Easter here!)

Fall would be my next best...when the leaves turn their gorgeous shades of rust, red, yellow, orange....but then the nights are shorter, and the days shorter, and I'm not willing to rush into that right now either!

These are some pics I took while on a walkabout the neighborood a few days ago. I think I've mentioned this before, but when I leave town for a few days and come back, it is easy to see how much has changed in just those few days!

As always, things I long for in spring, like the blooming of the Bradford Pears pass so quickly.....and now it is the DOGWOODS that are showing their true beauty...with the exception of the few short weeks in spring where the dogwoods boom, The trees just really seem to fade into the woodwork (or the woods themselves!) around here...but for those few short weeks when they DO bloom...oh, they are glorious!

The lots in my relatively small neighborhood are LARGE with the smallest being about 1 acre. I live off a small culdesac with only 5 homes on it. When the trees are in full leaf, I don't even see my neighbors because my house is down in its own littler "holler" as we like to say.

My favorite place is my walk along the main road in the neighborhood where I am greeted by wonderful old wood fences around a pasture, a barn, and other outbuildings that have been there for who knows how long.

I especially love this humongous old oak tree that provides wonderful shade in the summer, and glorious color in the fall. There hasn't been livestock in this pasture since I moved in, but I imagine at some point there could have been horses or goats or whatever.but I just love the country feeling of being out where I am.


Spring 2010
Come take a walk and see where I live!

I had a lovely class in Burke, VA yesterday.....and the lecture/trunkshow went super! Today I'm off until a guild meeting tonight, so I have put the do not disturb sign on the door and I'm sewing away!

It's a gorgeous day out there, and I'm really tempted to get out and about and do some sight seeing in Old Alexandria, but I need machine time too, so I'm a bit torn. Maybe I'll sew for a few hours, and go out in the afternoon before I have to be to Centreville to meet with the ladies at the school at 5 to set up for tonight's lecture.....

Whatever you get up to today, enjoy the beauty around you, and find SOME time to stitch SOMETHING every day!

8 comments:

  1. You are very close to my favorite quilt store... the Quilt Patch in Farifax VA. It was a few miles from my parents' house, and I'd shop there whenever I'd visit them. Now they're gone and the house long sold. Also my favorite Japanese restaurant, Blue Ocean, is in the Picket Shopping center (on Rte 236 - between where you are now and the Quilt patch, LOL)

    Spring is my favorite time, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My 17yo son is camping and hiking in mountains not far from you right now! He called to say it was 72 degrees and he was on the top of a mountain, then I read your post. LOL!

    Lucy (in IN)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have such a beautiful neighbourhood...My favorite time of the year is 'Autumn'..Not a big fan when it comes to raking the leaves, but the weather is perfect..
    Thank you for sharing this part of your life with us..Cheers :-)
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh beautiful Spring........its our reward for living through Winter!

    enjoy the ladies in Virgina.....
    such a pretty place.

    Happy Sewing

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems like Spring goes more quickly every year. It is my favorite time also. You live in a beautiful neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bonnie - thoroughly enjoyed the trunk show tonight at the Centreville QU meeting....I think all of us were heading home to start looking at our scraps! Thanks so much for sharing your quilts with us. Did anyone tell you that Centreville QU has a facebook page...check it out!

    MJ Meehan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bonnie,
    Thank you so much for your wonderful quilt show last night in Centreville, VA. Your quilts are stunning and so inspiring! Your scrap system and use of leaders and enders is genius! Please come check out my blog today because YOU are on it!! Polly http://auntpollysporch.blogspot.com/2010/04/awesome-guild-speaker.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad that your spring is beautiful and you are enjoying it. This spring has inspired a LOT of creativity for me and I love the feeling of a new beginning. In every way. HUGS! Your fan from Cumberland Island...

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)