>>>>

Thursday, January 28, 2021

The Quiet Beauty of Snow!


There was no sunrise this morning - not that I could see.

Everything is hushed in quiet winter white - last night's storm arrived just as predicted, even though I have to admit that I was skeptical.

It was 54 degrees when I drove home from the Quiltville Post Office to start dinner.

But by 7pm it was pounding rain.

And as those temps dropped as predicted, the rain turned first to sleet, and then to slush, and by the time I was getting ready to head to bed we had:

beauty, falling so thick and heavy!

I was  standing in the loft above the living room taking this video from the inside - the porch light was on outside.  

During the night (and this morning) sleep was interrupted by the sound of power blipping off, and house generator kicking on.  The generator never ran long, but it was a real sense of security knowing that if the power was out for an extended time, other than the noise from the Generac unit outside - life would go on in electrified comfort here.


Yep -it's a good thing I parked at the bottom again!

Temps were at 22 when I woke up after the 6:30am generator kick in. It has happened once again since then, just about 15 minutes ago.  There is a lot of snow build up on power lines - the heavy wet snow is now thick and crusty on everything with temps still dropping. We are now at 18.

I also want to throw in here that I have watched a couple of good movies on Netflix in the last few nights - 

Have you seen Radium Girls?  Check it out.  Very well done, and I love the 1920's fashions and music - the subject matter is also a great one, based on a true story.

Last night I watched Penguin Bloom - also based on a true story in Australia.  As a mom copes with the aftermath of a harrowing accident, she finds inspiration from an injured magpie taken in by her family. 

It was a great feel good story - the funniest thing being that Zoey and Ivy couldn't take their eyes off of the TV.  Ivy kept trying to find a way to get TO the TV - 

I think I had as much fun watching their reaction to the magpie than watching the movie itself.


Yesterday's empty the basket session yielded:


A ton of toasty tan neutrals in 1 1/2'', 2'' and 2 1/2'' strips.

I love the variety I will have to play with - and pulling from strips is so much easier than ironing out a variety of fat quarters and pieces and parts to cut to width before cutting into block parts. It's like starting with a cake mix instead of completely from scratch.

And did I mention VARIETY!?


I keep a small shoe box next to my accuquilt for things that are too odd to be strips. (Sometimes too narrow or oddly tapered, or I just don't want to be bothered to cut it down to the next size) 

This batch went into the "tan neutrals" string bin for future projects - because I love variety there, too!


Today's "plan ahead" project -

That small shoe box on top contains:


Leftovers from my Forever Mine! project!

My plan on this #snowdaysewday Thursday is to make some MORE units and pull this into a small topper - just one block to accent a table.

Really, all I've got to do is string piece the rectangles for the hearts, make the hearts and set this together.  I also have leftover trimmed off triangles that may become a border.  I'm looking for this to end up around 24'' square.  I'm excited to be spending the day home and playing!



If you want to join me - don't forget that Forever Mine! is marked 25% off in the Quiltville Store through Valentine’s Day.  

I think it would be sweet if the reds and pinks were reversed - with pink string hearts, and the reds as the pinwheels!

Did you see that we are gifting away a free pattern to a lucky winner and friend?

Click for all of the details on the original post. Enter on that post!  We are also including a selection of Mary Koval's beautiful fabrics in reds, pinks, aquas and neutrals to sweeten the pot.  Don't miss out!

Drawing to happen Monday.


Table runner version included in pattern!

What does Thursday hold in store for you?


Quiltville Quote of the Day -

This has been a very snowy winter for these parts!

And yes - I am still trying to find joy in it anyway!

At least the connected joy of being able to stay home tucked away in my sewing space with the fireplace going, sleeping dog in front of it, music playing - maybe something yummy in the crock pot!

 

27 comments:

  1. Radium Girls was an excellent movie - the book is even better. The scary part of it was that it was a true story. The movie about Madam Curie was also excellent. It’s on Prime - Radioactive. Have you watched The Queens Gambit? Another good one.

    I hope everyone has a great day and stays safe. As a Florida person, I love seeing the beautiful snow, but I love my warm temps. Keep the picture and videos coming! 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely right about Radium Girls being an excellent read. I heard an interview on public radio with the great-grandson of one of the women who worked in the watch factory discuss the story of the"radium girls" in detail. Amazing story.


      Delete
    2. Every Monday morning at 8:45 our Generac automatically runs its 10 minute self-check. Music to my ears! Great feeling to know it is ready to respond whenever needed. Well worth the investment.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. I have just recently began watching "Queens Gambit" on Netflix. I like this series a lot. Also on Netflix "The Queen" and also started watching "Call the Midwife" Both excellent.

      Delete
  2. You must have used up a large number of phone books in the county by now! LOL
    You are a busy beaver!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your snow is beautiful!! While every one is Grassy Creek-ing I have finished Talkin' Turkey and now working on Texas Tumbleweed, enlarging it by 36 more blocks. It's a fun pattern to make and I haven't made a dent in my strips! Have a great day, Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here in the mountains of NE Washington state it is plowing day. We have received about 6 inches in the last 36 hours and more expected. Then maybe a nap and on to finishing Grassy Creek flimsey. Enjoy winter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quote today made me laugh out loud; PERFECT attitude to snow! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The snow is beautiful but I still hate it because it means it's COLD and I do not like the cold!! Anything below 55-60 is COLD to me! HA So thank heavens I live where I do and don't have to deal with much at all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Today I am picking up a serviced sewing machine!!!!! and a stop IN a bookstore...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've read Radium Girls but forgot about the movie. I will definitely watch. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I appreciate the movie and series-watching suggestions! I didn't used to watch TV and sew, but have discovered the fun of it in the last year.
    --Gina in Missouri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love watching TV while I sew, on the machine or by hand. I also knit and crochet while watching TV. Sometimes I get so involved in the sewing I only hear the TV and don't know what the characters look like. LOL

      Delete
  10. I was honored to be part of the technical crew for "These Shining Lives"--a play about the Radium Girls. Parts of Ottawa, Illinois are still radioactive.

    Thank you for your blog and your wonderful patterns. I look forward to reading you every morning (except Sundays, of course!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. We are expecting the next round of snow this weekend. I'm working on Bricks and Stepping Stones in navy, reds and creams. I may be able to get the main portion of the top done today but am having a hard time deciding on outer border.
    Looking at which pattern to make next.
    Anna in IL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those neutrals are awesome!!! They are going to bring so much joy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I will have to watch that movie. I love true stories. Your pile of neutrals is just eye candy. Love your variety. Wishing to win this week. Thank-you for the çhance.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I see or is it hear the wheels turning on a black, white, gray snowy something named quilt!
    Beautiful picture of your snowy lane.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the quote of the day! Just think, spring is around the corner! Happy Thursday evening!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I moved to California at 18 lived there for 22 years i was tired of the traffic and the smog. When my husband mentioned being homesick for snow I said let's move where we have all 4 seasons but only just enough to enjoy it. (California was to escape shoveling snow) So we moved to Arkansaw. So happy here in the Ozarks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that reminded me of us when we lived in California. 2 seasons - hot and hotter! I was always homesick for fall and the colors of the season. we are now in the midwest! I have to say I'm surprised at how much snow Bonnie gets where she lives! I had no idea.

      Delete
  17. How do you press your fabrics to be SO crisp and perfect?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have not seen Radium girls but loved the book. I will put it on my to watch list! Thank you for the recommendation. We may get freezing rain tonight in mid western WI. A good evening for a movie!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So jealous you have snow! All we got was lots of rain here in NC piedmont. Hoping for ONE snow day this year. I have read the fascinating story of the radium girls; did not know there was a movie.

    Thanks Bonnie for inspiring us everyday!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I watched Penguin Bloom last night and both our dogs were fascinated as well with the magpie. Really enjoyed that movie while I did my binding project.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your snow is beautiful and I'm so glad it's there and not here. Right now, in central New Jersey, it is 26 degrees F and very windy. I wouldn't mind but I have to leave in a few minutes for medical tests and I dread going out in the wind. I can handle the cold, but I do hate the high winds. We had no newspaper this morning and I am sure it was delivered and equally sure it blew away. Shutterfly sent me pictures from ten years ago today and they were all snow pictures. That storm must have dropped at least a foot of snow. Had a bunch of block kits for Quilts of Valor delivered this week. That's the current project. I want to get them done by the National Quilts of Valor sew day on February 6. Unfortunately this year we have to sew virtually, but I'm sure we will still get lots of blocks done that day.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)