>>>>

Sunday, February 23, 2020

Straits of Mackinac, Bedford VA Style!


Oooh, yeah baby!

You know what really gets my happy train in motion?  When folks change up the colors and layout plans to suit what their own vision requires.  Change it up!  Switch it around – play with the colors, the shapes and the units – dig in and don’t let what I made force you into making the exact same thing if your ideas are leading you in a direction that is more YOU.

Blue and Orange?  YES PLEASE!

Yesterday’s Straits of Mackinac workshop hosted by the Peaks & Pieces guild was full to the gills with abundant creativity, chatter and laughter.  I could feel it the moment I walked into the room – that this was going to be a day to remember.


We are the Bobbsy Triplets -

All with the same haircut! LOL!

(I love these ladies, and a fun time always ensues wherever I see them!)


And with THESE kinds of shenanigans -

You are bound to have a grand time! LOL!


52 quilters digging in and getting scrappy!


And what a fantastic place for a workshop!

The church hall was brightly lit, and we even had tables set up to enjoy our prepared lunch away from our sewing machines -


Chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans, Jell-O, a roll -

And dessert to follow!

We were served by the church youth group who uses these funds for a variety of programs they participate in throughout the year.  So nice to have young folks serving us and interacting with us!


Two blocks, set side by side -

Assembly is happening!


We love the vintage machines in class!

Here the center square in a square unit is in production.


I just love these smiling faces!


Purple and green! WOW!


And when two colors are too hard to choose -

Go rainbow!


I really have to thank Kevin Womack for pulling this all together for a second time.

I visited this group 2 years ago and we had such a great time we did it again.

Kevin is also a quilt artist in his own right, and he has recently recorded an episode of The Quilt Show with Alex Anderson and Ricky Tims.  As soon as it is ready to air, I’ll let you know so you can give it a watch! You will be inspired. I promise!


Some of our blocks, pieces and parts by the end of the day.


Chris even brought her treadle machine!

Her video clip is included in with the rest of our photos.

Click to Play:



It was just an awesome day - and I enjoyed spending it with everyone.

I was back on the road and heading south toward the North Carolina state line by 5pm.  I noticed how much later the light is lasting now that we are nearing the end of February.  HOORAY!

I spent the night in Wallburg as there are some things I need for the next two back to back retreat weekends happening at Quiltville Inn.  It made sense to come this way, stay the night, load the van and head back up to Mouth of Wilson this morning.

There is also something to be said for being solo in a house with no alarm clock waking me up before 6:00 am.  I’m moving slowly.  I’ll get there when I get there.

I’m gathering the things I need while I also gather my wits about me!



Quiltville Quote of the Day -

Vintage bow tie quilt found in North Carolina.

Not every question has an answer. Sometimes there is simply no explanation.

I find the unanswered to be a part of this beautiful journey.

Have a wonderful Sunday, everyone!



9 comments:

  1. Love all the variety! Great blocks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. An awesome place for your workshop. Virginia does it well.My daughter lives in Richmond so I'm a little partial to your part of the world.Love today's quote too,somedays there is no answers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a great time had by all, delightful

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful treadle! Such gorgeous fabric choices. Certainly fuels the brain with even more ideas for future quilts! Life is too short for them all! Very inspiring class, well done peeps, I did enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this block! Where can I find the pattern? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Love that block and all the variations of color!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love those vintage machines. I was at a Collector's Fair yesterday and saw for the first time a working Wilcox & Gibbs chain stitch machine! Sew Cool! And you inspire me to get my scraps under control, Bonnie... love your work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What book is the pattern out of? I think I want to make the Orange and Blue

    .

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too love to see it when folks change up the colors in your classes. It can completely change the whole design!!!! Looks like ya'll had a super weekend!!!!! Thanks for sharing your class with us!!!!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)