>>>>

Wednesday, February 05, 2020

Quilting it Up!


There is quilting happening at the Quiltville PO!

It feels so good to see this top finally becoming a real quilt.  The blocks were started last year – they were kind of an “on again, off again” thing.  It was a travel project for a while – grabbing bits of hotel room sewing time while teaching on the road.

When we really hunkered down to do the last of the big jobs at Quiltville Inn, these blocks languished. They were also pushed aside during the time our Frolic Mystery became my main focus.  It’s understandable. Some projects just do that – fluctuate in and out of productivity mode.

The biggest job yesterday was pulling yardage sized pieces of lesser loved fabrics and piecing a back that wouldn’t look “TOO TERRIBLE” with the scrappiness of the blocks in the quilt top.

Oh, these are some doozies.  And I laughed and giggled all the way.


Fess up if you have ever had this – or even used it?

Bouquets and bunches – kind of floral-y, but also very directional.  I can’t see this being in a quilt front at all.  Maybe kitchen curtains?  Circa - any ideas?  There were 2 yards of this gorgeous stuff.  Better on the back than on the front!


A Debbie Mumm kind of check print is also down at the end.

The stuff I am using up is more in the “What color is it really?” category.  The kind of fabric that just doesn’t cut up into small pieces well.  It’s not that anything is wrong with the fabric (besides the fact that it rates high on the ugly scale! LOL!) but it just doesn’t work with the scale of piecing that I like to do.

Approximately 7 yards of "Meh" went into the backing for this quilt yesterday, and I am doing the happy dance of quilty joy.

50 years from now – ALL the fabric will be outdated and “ugly.”  Or would the proper description be “charming?”

No one is going to care that it was “current” at the time I used it.  I am bound and determined to keep making raucously weird backings for my scrap quilts in the future.

This fabric can’t just hang around any longer waiting for a better opportunity to use it.


I made it to about half-way -

Let’s see if I can finish up the rest today!


Impeding my binding production!

Dresden!


Japanese Daiwabo yard dye.

I was thinking of a scrappy binding, but I had this piece of  grey woven that will be perfect as binding.  I’m not crazy with the fabric as it has somewhat of a wobbly hand.  It looks great on the front – but those large “trail over” threads on the back catch on everything and pull the design on the front out of whack.

It, too, will be out of the stash and gone!

The block pattern for Jack’s Delight is found in the current March/April issue of Quiltmaker Magazine – in my Addicted to Scraps column!  I set the blocks with simple sashings and cornerstones, but you can choose whatever layout you like best.



You have a chance of WINNING that issue along with a selection of other goodies – Drawing to happen TOMORROW, so get your entry in ON THAT POST.

The making of the Sugar Loaf blocks continues.  This obsession now has a stack of 21 blocks set machine-side. I don’t even know how I am going to set them – I am just making them. Like potato chips – one after the other.

Dentist appointment this afternoon– basketball game at Oak Hill Academy vs Franklin Prep of Charlotte NC this evening.

What do you have in store for your Wednesday ahead?



Quiltville Quote of the Day -

Vintage double wedding ring quilt found in North Carolina.


Take a good hard look at the things that are stopping you.

Are there valid reasons? Or just excuses?

Remember even a little bit of progress is moving forward.

Have a wonderful Wednesday!



22 comments:

  1. Thank you for the courage for ugly backs! I always hesitate but come on, IT'S THE BACK! I have several king size tops that need backs and you've inspired me to just go for it! Can't wait to see what I come up with. As always, you're the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your picture with Dresden impeding your progress. Isn't that their job?

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my, sugar loaf, what a challenge to figure out... hope you share the answer(s) with us, soon... I've not done diamonds before!!! I must sound like a broken record, but certainly I am so appreciative of the things you create, share and challenge us... love the kitties!!! Cats in Carlsbad, CA

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have some fabrics that cause me to ask, "What did I ever see in that fabric and why on earth did I buy it". You have given me a good idea for using it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is always exciting to start a new project. Love all those scraps. Today is more cleaning out the studio...emptying it for new floor and painting. I am a step or two ahead of DH so not to be blamed for being the hold up in production!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Bonnie they are not ugly backs, they are interesting, different and just plain fun. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. I confess. I have some of that same backing fabric and 2 coordinates in my stash. I'll use it for backing my current spring wall hanging. Age? I'm sure I bought it at JoAnn's some time since 1989 when I started quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I use ugly backs sometimes too. Get it out of the stash!

    Bonnie, can you share sometime the sugar loaf block process? I'm fascinated with those blocks and I'm sure other readers are too. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you haven't already decided, Sugarloaf might be a good leader-ender project this year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I LOVE how Dresden always wants to be near you! I remember what a rocky start he had to his new family - so fearful and fierce. And now? He can’t get enough of you! Thank you for giving him a chance to show his real love bug self!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have often used a surprise print on the back! I put a John Deere scene on the back of a Shining Star quilt (dark deep reds, greens, blues and creams) because I made it for my Son who was at the time attending John Deere school. Why not?! It’s the back!!!! As far as ugly goes- in strips and itty bitty pieces it disappears! One persons ugly is another’s prize! That’s what is so fun- looking at things from someone else’s point of view.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dresden didn't see it as impeding binding progress but as the binding impeding his snuggling time. After all, when you are at QPO, you are there for him and sometimes for Lola. Why else would you be there? He is one sweet looking fella.
    Connie W.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really like this scrappy quilt and the kitty pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bonnie,
    I love your quote of today. Just the kick in the pants I needed. Dresden just loves his/her human. The picture yesterday walking with the other cat looked like they were saying what else can we do to get her attention? Thanks for sharing your life and thoughts with us. Polly

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just so beautiful I love your Jack’s delight quilt, might do some of these blocks to go around a panel I got for my grandson Jack, the idea of using blocks that share his name amuses me lol
    Love and quilty hugs
    Anne xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. "7 yards of 'Meh'" I did laugh out loud at that - good job I'm on my own at the moment, it was rather a guffaw!
    Ahhhh Dresden. They have become lovely characters now they have settled in so well. I'm brainwashing my husband for a cat - or kitten - any furball greatly received! He's put his foot down regarding a rough collie pup . . . for the time being mwah ha harrr!
    That quilt went together so fast! You are a Speedy Gonzales!!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Better on the back than the front. LOL! Ugly fabrics - it’s a love/hate thing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I must confess I have the same material. How I got it, do not know. I am column piecing a lot of my ugly fabric as backing also

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ugly backs are my favorite...even when they make my eyes hurt!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! Beautiful quilt! Today I will sew a binding on a beautiful quilt to give to my BFFQB`s (best friend forever quilting buddy) nephew. My BFFQB passed away this week and her nephew has been so helpful to his mom and other family members. I am
    sure Patty would want him to have this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I second your emotion on the quilt backings. Recently, I decided to incorporate a large set of exchange blocks that I had been gifted into some backings. I finally realized that I was never going to put those blocks together in a quilt of their own and now they are decorating my quilt backs. I have actually run out of them and will have to figure something else out! :))

    ReplyDelete
  22. Loving the quilt on your longarm. Stunning reproduction, and just so warm and cozy feeling. I picture it curled up in my favorite chair by the fire. Great job Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)