>>>>

Monday, August 21, 2017

A Bit of Time Out!

IMG_2192
Let’s face it -

As quilters, no matter how much we love endless days of sewing, there is only so much time you can sit in front of a machine putting the pieces through before you’ve just got to get up and get a break.

And break we did.  About 4pm yesterday.

There is not a lot of industry in Mouth of Wilson, Virginia – but we have a couple of conveniences that our place on Buck Mountain didn’t have – including the cutest General store on all of route 58!

AND.  They have a walk up ice cream window.

And beautiful views along  Big Wilson Creek.

Let’s go!

20170820_175908

There is something special about the sound of burbling creeks!

The last time I was down here was perhaps April, when Jason was visiting and the rain had Big Wilson creek running at a fast pace.  Yesterday was a lazy summer float comparatively, but it is still such a beautiful place to rest and enjoy that ice cream!

From here we took a little drive on up to Grayson Highlands State Park in search of some long range views.

20170820_181716

We found them!


So much beauty in Southwest Virginia!

20170820_181806

So happy to share this with my friend!

20170820_183404

Another overlook.

The visitor's center is just right at 5,000 feet elevation.  Not too shabby of a height!

20170820_183612

Just WOW!

IMG_2212

Such a great way to break away!

There will definitely be more exploring to come.  There are miles and miles of hiking trails, and a visitor’s center begging to be visited, but they were already closed by the time we got there at 6pm.

20170820_183726

I love cool rock formations!

20170820_190446

Sunflowers after the rain.

Loads of green green everything. This place is just my bliss!

20170820_231947

This happened last evening!

This quilt is VERY CLOSE to being done.  I quilted through this double Irish chain section last night..likely only a few nights of stitching to go until I can call this 10 year project DONE!

We had a hand stitching evening to also enjoy some feet up time while watching some TV. 

I’ve been asked if we are anywhere near the eclipse up here, and the answer is only “partial” eclipse will happen here.  But both Irene and I agree that the only eclipse we’d rather be spending time with is this one:

eclipse
This is my idea of “In the path of totality!”  Hahah!

Irene and I saw this machine on an antiquing trip we shared together in Texas, and today is the perfect time to use it.  When would be better?

This is where you'll find us today, stitching away at the cabin in Southwest Virginia where we are not in the path of totality.

As Irene said, “If the eclipse brings the end of the world we'd rather die in front of sewing machines than in a crowd of eclipse chasing people!”  I have to agree.

Besides – we are still chasing deadlines, not eclipses!

8_21_2017

Quiltville Quote of the Day!

Vintage Lemoyne star quilt top found in Texas.

Today's page is clean and brand-new. How will you fill it? What will it say about who you are today?

Mine will have two words:  SHE SEWED!

Happy Eclipse Day, everyone!


Follow me on Instagram!

Follow my Quiltville Page on Facebook for more fun!

Join our sister group, Quiltville's Open Studio on Facebook, a place to Sew, Share & Grow!!

18 comments:

  1. my cousin paid $210.00 for a parking spot in a farmers field to catch the view in southern Oregon. Like you, I'll be in front of my machine quilting a tumbler bed topper. Life is good, see you in Oregon next month. Sharyn in Kalama

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here in St. Louis we are in the path of totality. I am sewing now but will definitely take a break around noon to watch this once-in-a-lifetime event. We will be able to see it from our yard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last time I was at GHSP, the fog was so thick we couldn't see squat! Still my favorite place in all the U.S.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stitching sounds like the best idea. Love the views. Even the black and white pictures you are sharing. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you gals. Don't want to take the chance on ruining my sight; glasses or no glasses . . . I need them to sew and quilt for as long as possible. Lol. ��

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sneaking out to catch a glimpse through my homemade viewer. We are in the 87% totality area.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are in a 50% zone here in south central Alaska t but it's raining and clouds are dowm to the treetops. I suspect we'll just see it getting a bit datker. Happens here about 9 am. I will be sewing as well. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bonnie, I'm waiting on a quilt inspired by your new Virginia getaway! No need to search the globe to find the beauty in your backyard!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here in my part of Nebraska we were a little out of the totality area, though it did get pretty dim out. I watched live feed on TV and the NASA feed on the computer. Suited me just fine!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know if we were supposed to get it here, but it wouldn't have made any difference - cloud and drizzle all day. Never mind.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We here on the left coast of California near San Francisco had a partial eclipse and overcast skies so it was iffy viewing for this old woman and my husband we did see a bit then brought a cake over to our neighbors (2 adults 9, 7, 4, 3months) so it was fun to celebrate this unusual event.
    No sewing but a lovely day anyway

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was a goose bump worthy experience. I am in the Willamette Valley in Oregon and we had beautiful weather. My favorite part of the experience was at totality, there was a 360 degree sunrise glow on the horizon. As the sun began to peek out, the hundreds of crescent shapes that were cast on the gravel drive and vehicles was beautiful (created by the sun shining thru the large apple tree). It may only be a mini quilt, but I have the "need" to design something! Thank you, Bonnie, for sharing the black and white photos of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember the one in 1963 in Northern California. My parents helped me make a cardboard box so that I could see it. I have wonderful memories of that one. Now I am all alone so this one I watched on TV.

    Am stitching right along trying to finish up some UFOs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful area you live in. Love your mountains. Thanks for sharing it. We live at the beach here in FL.happy sewing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much for sharing your life with us, how beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. We are lucky to live in the path of Totality in Paducah, Kentucky. Our guild is celebrating with a 3 day retreat with the theme "quilting in the dark". Yesterday, we had a potluck luncheon followed by a viewing of the eclipse. It was AWESOME! We got back to our quilting shortly thereafter. Btw, we are lucky enough to be in the path of Totality again in 2024! We welcome you to come visit us in 7 years. Plenty of quilt related spots here in Paducah!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Today and tomorrow I will be quilting with friends and Lynne Hagmeier of Kansas Troubles. She and her husband Robert are in Benton, Arkansas. She gave a wonderful lecture to our guild last night and is doing her Barn Raising Class today and a table runner class tomorrow. Always a wonderful day when you can quilt with friends.

    ReplyDelete
  18. We traveled up to our mountain home in Andrews, NC which was a town recognized as a NASA viewing location. It was a phenomenal event and I am so glad we took the time to weather the traffic into this sleepy little mountain town for this once in a lifetime event. No words to describe it, it has to be experienced. I have seen several partial eclipses but nothing compares to totality. If you ever get a chance again , take it.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)