>>>>

Friday, June 29, 2012

Sister’s Choice Morning!

Let the class slide shows commence!

We had such a fun day yesterday – but man is it hard keeping track of names for 40 students --- it’s hard enough when there is 20, but 40 all in one day, two separate classes? I gave up trying!

I do remember Tanya, who brought me a diet dr pepper right off…THANK YOU, I so needed that!

Another Student was working on the most amazing leader/ender project ---you just have to see this!

vermont2012 022

The first thing I saw was a whole shoe box full of half square triangles…ooooooh! Let me at them!

vermont2012 021

I asked her what she was doing with them.and she showed me….

Oh. FUN!! It’s a split 16-patch. You’ve seen Split-9patches, right? Just add more units…which adds more motion, and more happy-scrappiness!

vermont2012 019

Here is one block all sewn together. Now get this --- be ready ---

vermont2012 020

Yeeee *gasp* Haaawwww!

So if you are looking for a leader/ender project to rock your socks --- there you have it!

We had some fun with the vintage machines in class too --- and you know how I love to see them. We had several featherweights --- but look at these Bigger Sisters:

vermont2012 024

This is a very sleek 1970s Kenmore. It zig zags…you turn the dial on top! It’s a bit heavy, but it works so beautifully! I’d never seen this model before – Mine was an early 1980s version, so this was fun.

vermont2012 023

How about an 1950’s vintage two-toned 404?!

These slant needle machines are awesome – they are not belt driven, they are gear driven and do such a great job. They were straight stitch only.

vermont2012 033

One sweet lady brought in her two-toned 301! She is the original owner of this 1950s vintage lovely ---It’s been her machine since it was brand spanking new. What a life this machine has had, and what stories it could tell about what has been sewn on it over the past 60+ years!

Because this was a 3 hour class --- students were lucky if they got one or two blocks done. I was just happy if everyone went home with one so they could take over from there when they got home.

Here is our progress:

Today’s Class is Smith Mountain Morning! I am really looking forward to teaching this class. I love working with the specialty rulers so much.

Be watching for the Boxy Stars pics to come through later today –In an effort to not overload those on dial up or slower connections, I’m keeping each class slide show in its own post!

Have a great Friday, Everyone!

19 comments:

  1. i love her split 16patch leaders and enders project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful leader ender project. Bonnie the Singer you called a 403 I believe is a 401/401A. It looks just like my Mom's 401/401A. She has 3 of them and a 201. Enjoy Vermont!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful leader ender project. Bonnie the Singer you called a 403 I believe is a 401/401A. It looks just like my Mom's 401/401A. She has 3 of them and a 201. Enjoy Vermont!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just love alllll your pictures!!!!! What great machines!!
    And what an absolutely S*T*U*N*N*I*N*G leader/enderproject! (I'm in love.........)
    Greets from the Netherlands!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea for leftover triangles! So wish I was up there in VT but we moved south last fall. I recognize some people I know in the pictures and it is bringing back some nice memories. Enjoy Vermont - it is a wonderful state.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:15 AM EDT

    Imagine making all of those HSTs! And such a wonderful idea for a leader/ender project.

    Love those oldmachines. Sometimes, when I need a sewing machine 'fix', I sew on my own older machines just to hear the humming stitchig sound. So different from the newer electronic machines. And you bet I love my Vikings, but my Singers are so wonderful too lolol ... machine love!

    Thanks for posting your trip. 40 new people means 40 new names and faces - how could anyone keep everyone straight. We Southerners have a cure for that! Call folks Honey, Sweetie, Sugar etc. Because you do mean it, but just can't think of NAMES to go with faces. Works like a charm for me.

    NOW Sweetie, what did you say your name is? ;)
    Smiles, JulieinTN

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful leader/ender project. It always amazes me what we can do with fabric. It just sings, doesn't it? Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your pictures of your classes. I'm wondering if you could give me some advice/ideas on your books that might have quilts that would use 2 1/2 inch squares? I thought I wanted to make a postage stamp quilt, but I'm not sure. I love scrappy and have tons of the 2 1/2 in squares (please don't ask me why). jnaatz@rocketmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think this is my most fav pattern am doing one right now but its not scrappy :( sorry !! using the gorgeous Lily & Will

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can relate to your effort to learn names! As a classroom teacher I met up to 150 kids per semester; I used seating charts. I could fill out a seating chart faster than you could spit. Unfortunately I didn't save them all, so if I run into a kid who was in my 9th grade class in 1989, I don't immediately recognize him/her. This is when the "honey, sweetie" hint comes in handy. It's flattering when they remember me.
    AND I am loving the pictures of all the scrap quilts. I worked at Hancock Fabrics for a long time during and after the teaching career (they don't pay teachers well in Texas) and I love it when I see a fabric I recognize. It's like seeing an old student, who hasn't changed at all!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That leader/ender is to die for! I'm saving this idea. Thanks for showing it.
    Sister's Choice is on my to-do list when I get room to start a new large project, so I was drooling over this slide show. Wish I was in Vermont, too. Was there a few years ago, but didn't get to Burlington. Still want to!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous10:01 AM EDT

    Love your pictures. Question for you...I'm attending your workshop in PA. Do I have to have the pieces already cut out or do you show us how YOU cut out scraps for your projects? In other words shouldvi be ready to cut or sew?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous10:04 AM EDT

    I'm anonymous above...forgot my email. jane12@atlanticbb.net. Thanks again Jane

    ReplyDelete
  14. looks like so much fun, I'd love to take another class from you!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bonnie, I also have a 1971 Sears Kenmore and it works like a dream. True it only has four stitches but it is all metal parts and is a real workhorse. I bought it as a gift to myself when I graduated from college and got my first job.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have 45 of these (babies) made.....Hoping to make a king quilt eventually. My DH has been asking for one for sooooooooooooo long. Can I hang in there til I have enough?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the pattern and I really like when the fabric choices are scrappy. I also really like the split 16 patch. I've been making leader/ender 16 patch light/dark squares from 2 inchies for awhile now. I wonder how they'd look mixed in with the split version?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I absolutely love this lender and ender project. So stunning and beautiful. Love the pattern that emerges.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous10:17 PM EDT

    Actually, it is not a 401 OR a 403; it's a plain straight-stitch model 404. No fancy stitches; the 401 and 403 take cams for decorative stitches, which means they have a "door" on top to insert the cams. Di in TN

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)