>>>>

Friday, June 17, 2011

Antique-Mall Road Show!


You know me, I just can’t resist a sign that says “Antiques Ahead!” I didn’t think I’d find many quilts down here in Florida. In fact, what I found were definitely more of the tropical to pastel color range of quilts…light weight, and fun!

I never know what I will find. Some places will have more junk than most. Some will have quilts that are really dirty, smelly and over-priced. Some won't have any quilts at all...but you just never know. And if you don't go looking, you won't know what you could be missing! And rest assured, I have come across MANY MANY quilts that say "Vintage, Rare, Hand Stitched, Hand Quilted" and you don't even have to look at them closely to know they are the "made in china" ones....falling apart at the seams, inch long stitches, polyester batting falling out! It cracks me up when something says "made in 1850" and it has poly batting peeking through the seams!

But still...we look. Because we have to. Because there ARE gems to be found amid the junk!

fljune2011 147

Of course this wonky string quilt caught my eye! Lots of 50s/60s fabrics in it..maybe some into the early 70s too. If it looks retro, it’s because it IS…or the epitome of what retro is trying to recreate anyway! This one was used and used hard…It was tied instead of quilted….

fljune2011 144

I fell in love with this tiger oak parlor cabinet! I SO wanted to buy this JUST for the cabinet ((ARE YOU READING ME DIANE?!?)) But there is so much stuff in my car, I couldn’t fit it in if I wanted to. Am I going to shoot myself? For not getting it? Probably! I definitely thing my next car is going to be a mini van! I never wanted a mini van….I made it all the way through kids without one…but now? Yep. I think I see a minivan in my future!

fljune2011 145

Here is a pic of the machine itself….seriously. I just wanted the cabinet! This is a Free, No. 5! Probably needs a good cleaning, but the bobbin shuttle was still there, and all the parts moved…at least it wasn’t frozen up!

But…the price?

fljune2011 146

$165.00! Should I shoot myself, Di?? Should I? Auughhh…..next time, maybe next time. LIke I said, there is NO WAY JOSE that that will fit in my car anyway!

fljune2011 185

I LOVED this beauty in two colors…a watermelon pink and crisp white! I definitely see this quilt in my future! I love how the broken dishes units just criss-cross through the bigger pinwheels. Isn’t this fun?!

fljune2011 188

This Jacob’s Ladder was really fun too! All the blocks used different yellows, and the other fabrics were very fun 50s early 60s prints! I love these big splashy roses:

fljune2011 190

Aren’t these fabrics great? The quilt was pretty badly stained in some areas…the price was well..PRICEY! But sometimes a picture is worth more. Besides…I really am out of ROOM to store these things!

fljune2011 191

Isn’t it fun how the blocks and areas look so different depending on which fabric was matched with what yellow? I’m thinking I’m going to have to start some yellow 4 patches for my next leader/ender project! Looks like 5 identical 4 patches, 4 half square triangles also using the same two fabrics per block….anyone want to join me? :cD

fljune2011 199

THIS lovely took the cake!! It was SO BEAUTIFULLY appliqued and embroidered! It’s a shame it was in as bad of a state as it was…looks like water stains had yellowed in in several areas…and it was too pricey to want to bring home and fix, but I loved looking at the ladies! I am NOT a Sunbonnet Sue lover….but these Colonial Ladies are charming!

I didn’t get pictures of ALL the blocks….I was trying to be discreet in my photo taking! If I had a daughter….I might have snatched this one up. I hope it finds a home with someone who really appreciates the workmanship that went in to it!

fljune2011 192

I’ve got an antique top like this one at home that I’d love to hand quilt some day! Would I ever want to piece one? NO WAY! LOL! But I sure love the look of the chains those leaf shapes make as they criss cross their way through the quilt too. Designs that are strongly positive/negative have always caught my eye as well…

And as always, I wonder what the NEXT jaunt through the Antique Mall will unearth! Oh, how I love a treasure hunt!

18 comments:

  1. Oh Bonnie, I LOVE that pink and white pinwheel. If you ever do draft the pattern, can I be the first to test it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Say what you want about mini-vans but they can hold some stuff! You get a lot of cargo space for the money per sq. ft. Especially if you take out the second seat and put it in storage. My kids are all gone but I still have the van. I may have to break down and buy something FUN to putz around town with, though! Thinking of a mini Cooper.....hhhmmm

    ReplyDelete
  3. You DO have a daughter! She will be your son's wife!
    I have two DIL's and THREE grands...yes, you DO have a daughter..you just don't know it yet!

    Yes, I'll join you with the 4-patches! AFTER..I get this elephant-sized Many-Trips quilt done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where is this antique mall located? I would love to visit it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonnie, where did you find all these quilts in Florida?? I live here, and I rarely see quilts in Antique malls. And like you said, when I do they are in terrible shape and very $$$$. Summer prices should be down, as the winter travelers are gone for now. I would have loved to have joined you in your Antique shopping. What fun. Maybe next time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a good laugh about the mini-van. Our kids are all grown and on their own, but I cling to my mini-van as one obsessed! It is my truck! I can bring home anything I find that I can afford, and I can take any amount of stuff wherever I need to go. Those were beautiful quilts, but that sewing cabinet was the prize! Maybe you won't shoot yourself, but a good swift kick into the next county may be in order. : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Bonnie I too love the pink and white quilt. I think it would be awsome in purple and white.
    I too still have a minivan. My kids are 29 and 25. They are roomy. One never knows just what we will find antiquing or at a yardsale. Bonnie your blog is like my first cup of coffee in the morning (and I don't drink coffee). :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I went Antiquing yesterday locally, and they had a Singer machine w/lovely cabinets..they wanted $500.00, OUCH.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Had to laugh at your "discreet"! You laid out the quilts to take pictures in there. I like the Ladies too! The #5 sewing machine would have been tempting to me at that price. Beautiful oak...ooh lalala

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the pink and white pinwheels, they look fun to make. Will try it some day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. uham Bonnie - saying "mini van" is not cool. We momma's now like to call them our SWAGGER Wagons :) Have you seen any of these funny videos?
    http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=swagger+wagon&aq=1&oq=swagger

    I drove a Toyota van and la,la,loved how it stopped on a dime and could easy steer! My Dodge Grand Caravan is paid for and I'll have it until it dies... (hope another 3 years) but when it does I can not wait to get my Swagger ON! ;)

    I too loved the quilts you showed. HSTs and 4 patches are so easy! :)

    Love from Texas! ~bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Count me in on the 4-patches/triangle quilt-along. Just lead me to your leader er ender.

    Terry in So. Calif.

    P.S. Loved the photos - and yes you will kick yourself in the foot for passing on the sewing manchine/cabinet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm loving that leader-ender idea with the yellows. It's a sweet quilt! Funny, I would never have thought to use that big rose print, but it really makes it fun.....I really need to think more out-of-the-box when picking fabrics. The odd choices are always what makes me love a quilt, but I rarely do that with mine.....must work on that! lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the Jacob's Ladder! It's really interesting the way the other fabrics are highlighted by the yellow. I'm on board for yellow 4-patches!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for sharing all the great pictures, they are beautiful for sure. I am with you on making a quilt since I am finished with RRCB.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well, at $100 it would be shoot yourself , but $165 is fair, I think, but they come along for that fairly often. Nice cabinet, though. Look at you, checking to see the shuttle is there! You are getting to be a treadle/handcrank pro. I just love saving machines.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That pink quilt is gorgeous! How fun...I would love to do it in lots of pinks....

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes! I want to make the yellow Jacob's Ladder -- it's the perfect quilt for my baby girl. She's so sunny and shiny and happy, it's just perfect!

    How big do you think those blocks are? They look big -- 12"?

    I really should finish something else first, but I can't help myself, I'm already doing math in my head for the four patches and HSTs!

    ~Angela~

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)