>>>>

Monday, May 20, 2024

Quilting With The Ladies!


Sometimes you just have to pull up your big girl panties and power through!

And that's just what I did with the remaining string pieced triangles for my Ecliped quilt.

I just put on something to binge on Netflix, and got down to business.

I already knew I had printed out the right number of remaining foundations - so no counting was involved.

i just got down to business and made these happen.


I finished up adding the yellows - and then on to organges!

The oranges actually went faster because I was only adding them to one side of the center black triangle.

Sew, baby sew!

Once that was done - I brought everything next door to the retreat and mingled with the quilters while I trimmed and depapered.  Such a fun afternoon!

Today I will start adding these to the purple kites and kick these quilt pieces into blocks.

Meanwhile around me:


Something fin and strippy-scrappy is taking up floor space!


This pretty twisty thing is waiting for its bottom border.


Topsy Turvey hearts quilt top finish!


When purple piecing has purple paper plates to separate things.

And yes, the design board is also purple!


We get this - gorgeous Silk Path in progress!

It's going to be so delicious!


Always something fun happening in this corner.


Dining room design floor layout.

The black/white sashing is going to frame these string blocks perfectly!


One more up on the design wall!


Oh nice!

It was a great weekend with enough rain to keep us inside and happily sewing away.

I have no complaints - it was perfect!

I've been thinking a lot about our upcoming Kenya trip.

This had me also flipping back through photos from our last visit.  Remember my post about the "Out of Africa" house?


This house.  The ACTUAL house!

This is the beautiful farmhouse where Karen Blixen, author of Out of Africa, lived between 1914 and 1931, until she left Kenya after a series of personal tragedies. I haven't seen the movie in 30 years. I need a repeat. This was fascinating - The house contains many pieces of her original furniture and our tour guide was fabulous in setting the scene for us as to what really happened here.

Yes, we spent a lot of time at Sweetwater for the safari tours in search of animals in the wild, but we saw so much more!

Flip to that post to read more about it


My 2019 group, listening to more of Karen’s story. on the front veranda.

Click to Play:


Another place I can't wait to revisit - 

The Kazuri Bead Makers!

Kazuri is a fair trade business empowering women to be independent and self supporting.

I loved these women! Some have been working here for 40 years.

I hope some of these ladies are still here when I return.
This Kenya trip is filling quickly!!

I am SO excited about this upcoming trip - I knew that one visit to Kenya would never be enough.
Of all the places I've been - Kenya is the place that touched my soul and connected me to the world we live in.
I would love to have you join me - Contact Craftours today for more information and to reserve your spot.

Visiting Kenya opened my eyes to so much. It was truly life changing for the better.


This happened Friday!  Did you get your entry in on that post?

I'll be drawing for two winners who will each receive a Mabel's Choice PDF pattern from me and a Mabel's Choice cotton roll from Cotton to Quilts.


Check out the sweet prints and plaids!

Such a great stash enhancer!

We'll draw for our winners by random number generator on Monday, 5/27/24.

Create this striking quilt with just 3 shapes and boundless scraps! Easy instruction and alternative cutting directions along with full-color photos and graphics to ensure success.

Great for 1930s/1940s fabrics!

Quilt Size: 72’’ X 84’’

Optional but helpful: Bonnie K. Hunter's Essential Triangle Tool.

Traditional rotary cutting methods are given for those who don't have access to these rulers.


Introductory pricing:


Price is marked 25% off already - no coupon needed!


Sale good through 5/31/24.



Quiltville Quote of the Day -


It's not our differences that divide us, it's our inability to recognize, accept, and celebrate those differences in others.
We are as diverse as the blocks in this vintage quilt found in North Carolina.⁣

It's a brand new week-where is your focus today?


 

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:10 AM EDT

    I was busy concentrating on sewing up pineapple quilt blocks and I got up and tripped and cracked three ribs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:35 AM EDT

    Loved the bead factory but the children's school was another unforgettable highlight of Kenya! Oh! to go back!! If only!
    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful beginnings. Quilting with Friends is sew fun. Glad you got more of the Eclipse parts sewn. My Essential Triangle Tool is my favorite. When I needed 3" hsr Blocks from a Jelly Roll, I cut one side part with the Quarter square side and it worked great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much beauty to see today. Purple Silk Path is gorgeous. I envy what you get to see every day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:52 PM EDT

    Oh Bonnie! I LOVE LOVE that Topsy Turvey heart quilt.... is it one of your patterns? If not, do you know anymore about it? I did a search under that name as soon as I saw it, but came up with nothing even close to this one. HELP pretty please with sugar on it? I'll even put CHOCOLATE on it :) I have three wedding quilts to make and I'd love for this to be one of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous11:29 AM EDT

      I didn't realize that this would post as anonymous so didn't add my name at the end... sorry about that....(still hoping for info on the quilt pattern) ... Carol R.

      Delete
  6. These ladies are all sew creative, wish I was there with them in VA. I would LOVE to go to Kenya with you, but at 80 and finding it hard to walk/sit anywhere, I don't think I can do it, so will follow you and enjoy every minute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lainey Irvine8:36 PM EDT

    I love every quilt on this week's blog, love, love, love. Isa there a pattern or a name for the first quilt top - Strippy-Scrapy. And after seeing Silk Path in purple I just have to get it started.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got to meet your brother and his wife yesterday! My hubby and I went to the fabric sale which was so close to our house I couldn't resist checking it out. We talked about you and your family-were your ears burning? I follow your blog and enjoy reading about your quilting as well as your adventures.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)