>>>>

Saturday, March 16, 2024

A Day of Many Triangles!


It was a day of many triangles - MANY triangles!

But we made them so easy with the use of my Essential Triangle Tool!

The key objective for the day was to build variety by cutting from short strip sets.  No more than 8 repeats per strip set - we want VARIETY when these blocks start coming together so the same thing is not next to the same thing too often, etc.

You know how it goes!  FABRIC MUST NOT TOUCH ITSELF! LOL!


Quilt biddies working in Kaffe fabrics and purples!


Day one class up on the design wall!

We've broken Emerald City from String Frenzy down into manageable units per day.  This is Day one, waiting for day 2's triangles to be added.

Isn't it fun in all Christmas fabrics?


Blue day 1 along with other retreat fun!


Chain, chain chain, baby!

Another hint I like to give is to keep chains short.  It keeps them from twisting and knotting on each other.  No one wants a ball of chain piecing that resembles a tangled string of Christmas lights.

When chain piecing I usually run them in lengths of 10, trimming the chain off the back of my presser foot leader & ender style to keep the chain continuous, but leaving the resulting units in short lengths.

It makes it really easy to take them to the ironing board for pressing that way.

Short chains are your friend!


I'm having so much fun with these giggly girls!


Cutting more triangles -

You know they are having a wonderful time.


There are purple Day 1 on the left!


It's a busy room!


This is how we make great memories!


I love seeing all of this productivity.


"Move over. You are crowding me."  "No! You keep your scraps off of my mat!" "Has anyone seen my ruler? I can't find it under this mess!"  LOL!

(Conversations from my head - this is not what was going on.)


It was a wonderful workshop day.

Today we will wrap up the workshop with the interior star units, and hopefully everyone will be able to complete one whole big block before they head home on Monday.

They will have the rest of their retreat time this afternoon and tomorrow as a free day to work on whatever they would like to work on.  Or go to the quilt shops.  Or the grocery. Or to take a nap. 

This is why I break the workshops into 3 days of shorter sessions because retreat should not feel like a sweat shop.


Daffies through the window screen.

LOVE!

I've seen the forsythia bursting out in shouts of yellow blooms along the roadside as well.  YES!


As for me, this is the next thing I am pulling out - My square pegs blocks from my Addicted to Scraps column in the July/August 2022 issue of Quiltmaker Magazine. 


Last night at the Blue Ridge Movie Lounge -

The lights were out - this is how my new phone takes photos in near darkness.  Not bad.  A bit fuzzy - but we had a great time.

We saw Cabrini - what an inspirational movie.  If you like "Based on a True Story" kind of movies, I can't recommend it strongly enough. 

As far as what's up for the rest of today? Click to Play:


Happy Caturday, everyone!

And did you know it's also National Quilting Day?

I thought EVERY DAY was National Quilting Day.  Honest.  LOL!


Quiltville Quote of the Day -

Follow your own muse. Create to the beat of your own drummer. ⁣
Creativity is not a race. Stop comparing your work with the work of others.
Enjoy the process!
Have a wonderful weekend!


 

9 comments:

  1. Thank you for the movie advice for those who...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mother Cabrini founded the order of nuns that taught me in High School, that taught my mom in High School and College and that taught my grandmother in grade school, high school and college........ must see movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:20 AM EDT

    I, too, saw Cabrinni this week. I felt ashamed for any whining I might do after seeing all she endured and achieved. She was driven and passionate about her mission. I love following all your adventures, Bonnie. Many blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:31 AM EDT

    I have two cats like Lola and my Featherweight is named Lola after her first owner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Time with family=priceless :0) Happy National Quilt Day! Thanks for all the fabulous quilts you have designed that I have enjoyed making, hours and hours of quilty FUN :0) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:11 PM EDT

    Thought I would let you know I really enjoy your blog, especially the thought for the day. I can't believe how often it is spot on for how I'm feeling. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wasn’t Lola one of Jason’s cats originally? Was she happy to see him? Quotes from Winnie the Pooh are always comforting! I love to see what is on the design walls at the Inn! Today I am inspired by the wonky colorful stars!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's wonderful to see Emerald City coming together in more colors. Shows you what's possible. As always, thanks for sharing. Happy Birthday to the hubster!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved your comment that retreat should not feel like a sweat shop - sometimes it really does feel that way. Words to sew by at my next retreat. I'm going to give Emerald City a try now that I have String Frenzy in hand. It's a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)