>>>>

Friday, September 09, 2022

Hooray for Quilting Day!


You know that guy at the circus, with all of those plates spinning on poles?

Things go great guns for a while, and then occasionally - those plates go spinning off the poles and he just doesn't have enough arms to control everything?

There is no better life analogy than that!

But I can say that after yesterday's arrival of the fridge repair guy, and the installation of a new ice maker in the inn fridge that all systems were GO, and the plates were back under control!

So much more under control that I was able to get this quilt loaded and start in on the quilting.


I wanted something that "echoed", wasn't too densely quilted or fussy - and because we are heading into fall I chose one of my favorites: Gossamer by Hermione Agee.


Getting photos of quilting texture on busy fabrics is hard!  Especially when the sand colored thread disappears into everything the way this is - but I think you can see it.


Even quilting time was interrupted early afternoon for a dentist appointment.


Still in that boot and shoe lift!

I took this photo because that baby maple tree outside of the window is already turning!

There is another one to the right of it, just out of view that is already red at the top.

I'm not ready for this!

Last night on a phone call with my aunt (one of the many coming next week - and she is only 5 years older than I am so we are more like cousins) she asked if I had a "small space heater" because Uncle Tony gets cold at 70 degrees.  LOL!

Uncle Tony is Puerto Rican.  When FLORIDA gets too cold (70 degrees) he and my aunt Gail go back to Puerto Rico to warm up.

Oh, I have other things planned for Uncle Tony, just wait!

I told my aunt to have him pack his long johns and a sweat shirt.  Our highs will be in the mid-70s next week.

There was much discussion last night with plans for card games on the porch or in the dining room - and Gail is bringing her dominoes for rounds of Mexican Train.  Family game nights are epic.  I can't wait.

One of the other funny realizations - Joy was talking to me about Uncle Steve's need to walk daily after he had stints put in his heart last year, but Joy was saying she could only do a bit because of her bad knees, and is my mom able to walk the airport or should we get a wheel chair or....

And I laughed out loud!  

We have become the old people we used to roll our eyes and joke about.

It's now US!

Uncle Tony and his need of warmth.  Aunt Joy and her bad knees, my mom at 82 and a bit frail, my uncle's heart issues, people's dietary allergies and food issues - 

We are that circus - and all the plates are spinning!


Beautiful Zinnias just outside the dentist's office.

Just an easy cleaning, no issues - and I got a gold star on the condition of my gum health.  YAY.

The only thing they forgot to give me is the little baggie with the toothbrush and small tooth paste and floss.  Dang it!  I like to stash those away at the inn for guests who forget to pack their own.

I may have to stop by next time I'm over there.


How I left the half-quilted quilt -

A length of rug runner, poky side up will keep Lola from turning the whole thing into a cat hammock.

I hope to finish the quilting today, and get binding attached for hand stitching through the weekend.


Appalachian Traffic Jam - in the rain!

OH gush, I followed this guy for miles.  You think rush hour is bad where you are? This is worse.  Try going 20 mph all the way to wherever you are going with no way to pass (too curvy and double yellow lines) and nowhere for them to pull off either.

Just bide your time, turn up the music and sing along, and take in the scenery.  Because that is all you can do.


Mabel Takes the High Ground.

In all of my life I have never dealt with dogs who prefer the back of the couch as their perch.

It's hysterical.  And yes, I know we could stop it, but it's just too funny!


Yes, we are talking about YOU, sweet one!

So here we are at Friday.  Why did it take so long to get here?  This week has gone on and on and on.

Do you have anything fun happening today? Don't forget that the Sept/Oct '22 Quiltmaker issue is up for grabs! Enter to win ON THAT POST. Drawing happens TOMORROW!


Ready for some fall sewing?

I have placed the PDF pattern for Appalachian Autumn at 25% off in both the Quiltville Store and the Quiltville Etsy Pattern Shop.

The sale price is good through 9/30/22 - no coupon needed.


Quiltville Quote of the Day -

Just in case you were wondering - ⁣
Yes, the world DOES need that one of a kind you that you are!
Happy Friday, everyone!



 

16 comments:

  1. I'm doing a bunch of thread burying today on a donation quilt. Soon it will be one less WIP!! We are having some splendid fall days- upper 70s (yes, Tony) and bright sunshine. I love the fall skies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some trees are starting to turn here too..cooler nights. Beautiful full moon last night..
    I panicked yesterday when I couldn't find parts 8,9 etc. to Rhody! So I purchased the pattern in your shop.
    Saved the day!
    Just a few more blocks to make then onto part 7.
    I really want to make that quilt that you are quilting but I need more shirtings. Just wish they weren't so expensive here. I should just bite the bullet and buy some. I need the neutral ones more than the color ones. Also want to sew Crazy Mazie.
    I've a bushel basket of strings.
    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't feel old (I'm 74) until the pandemic lockdown when all the talk was about people over 65 being most vulnerable. Add in being stuck at home for so long, mostly just sitting, spending too much time on the computer. I really notice the loss of strength and muscle tone. But I'm grateful that there's still so much I can do. You're going to have so much fun with the family. Lots of laughter, I'm sure and many memories shared. Soak it all in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The week took forever because of issues to solve. Had it been a perfect delightful week, it would have taken mere hours ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My son lives in Greenville, TN and he sent me a picture very similar to yours, rain and traffic jam!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh My Goodness. I can just see the fun playing games on the porch with your Uncle wrapped in one of your Quilts. Family time is so precious, Enjoy it all. Love the not too fussy Quilting. I got my Quilting Day this week. Found a "Beauty" panto that did the trick for me. Can't wait to turn my quilts in for the Quilt Festival next week. Up today is a 6 Year UFO or should I finish getting my Rhodedendron Trail sashed? Choices, Choices. We used to collect the small samples of soaps, shampoos, toothbrushes and toothpaste at Quilt Guild for our Women's Shelter. Happy Friyah!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I giggled just a little at the "old people" stuff because I'm right there with everyone. And I just heard of Mexican Train Dominoes yesterday and immediately ordered a set. It looks so fun. Love the quilt! And Mabel is just a love. Have a wonderful family gathering.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That tree might be a tulip poplar; they are turning here in PA too. They are always the first to turn, especially after a dry spell.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL I've had a couple of back-of-the-couch dogs, but they were both in the 20 lb range, not Mabel's size. ;) Love that alligator-print neutral in one of the shirt blocks. Too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Get the wheelchairs!!
    For your Mom, and Uncle. Just went on a trip with my sister who had hip replacement surgery a year ago. She can walk fine, however, in the crowded airports with people in a hurry, and her use of a cane - Having the attendant whisk you through the crowds was a blessing. At one stop there were three others needing wheelchairs, so they brought in one of the "golf carts" and we breezed right through. Also good having someone familiar with the airport so you aren't searching while walking.
    Enjoy every moment with your Mom and all the family. I hope they get to meet Casden!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your Mabel is a beautiful dog. Have a wonderful time with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love playing Mexican Train dominos! I am so happy for you that your family is coming. Don't worry about thew food details just enjoy every minute.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That dentist view is wonderful........

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good grief! Could I relate to this blogpost! I recently turned 65 and all of a sudden I'm "one" too!! Loved the getting stuck behind a logging truck photo too...I travel a lot for our business and can totally relate to that story too. Loving that quilt protection on the long-arm idea. I have a dog that gets the zoomies and have to remember to lay my extra batting up/over the front roller bar on my long-arm when I'm finished for the day; ask me how I know I should do this! HA!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How many months have you been anticipating this visit? It sounds perfect! Too frequently it's hard to get everyone together. Enjoy this time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. When my mom tells me she is getting old I can remind her that she hauled herself all over Disney World when she was 83. All the rides and everything...go mom go!!!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)