>>>>

Monday, September 12, 2022

Big Family Visit - Incoming!


My emotions are running the gamut.

I have precious inbound cargo arriving tomorrow.

I spent the weekend in a cleaning frenzy - as we do - when dear relatives that I haven't seen since Way-Pre-Covid are coming to visit ME in middle-of-nowhere Virginia.

Is this how we will always refer to things on the timeline from now on?  Pre-Covid?  I fear so.

Nonetheless - in the midst of cleaning, dusting, moving around, scrubbing, setting right -

I took some time to get the hanging sleeve on my Bristol quilt.

And yes, ,that boot is still on.  Today marks 2 months and hopefully today will be the end of it.

I have x-rays at 3pm.  Fingers crossed.


Why do I put a hanging sleeve on nearly everything?

I need it for pattern photography first off the bat.  

Even though I might not be hanging the quilt in a quilt photography stand, the weight of the top pole through the sleeve adds balance and will keep the quilt from sliding off the fence, the porch rail, or the pole between the trees as I take photos.

And I never know when/where a quilt will need to be hung.  It's just easiest to do it when the quilt is made and forget about it, than to deal with it later.

And in this case - I was able to gather enough left over fabrics from the backing to piece a fun sleeve and to give those scraps a purpose instead of just putting them back in the bin.


Those 60's strawberries!  Fantastic!


Sleeve in place, binding continues.

And now that the quilt is named, I can get it on that corner label.  


Lola - staying out of the way of Mama's manic cleaning.

We did take a little side trip to Sparta on Saturday to retrieve the Hubster's pick up after having his shocks worked on .

I wanted to immediately trade in his Chevy for this one:


Oh my gosh! So cute!

Little wooden slats on the back and all.


Oh baby - who bought you in 1949?

Who owns you now?


View from the upstairs landing.

Nap where you land.

And this is just how I felt after all of the deep cleaning at home as well as things done to make all ready at the inn.

It rained all weekend.  ALL weekend.  I'm hoping that clears up for the week I have with family ahead.

24 hours from now I'll be on my way to Charlotte to put my arms around my mom.

I did mention that my heart is in my throat, yes?

My mom, her two sisters, her brother, and two of their spouses will be staying at the inn and we will be doing everything including meals there.  I'll only come home to sleep in my own bed and then head back over for breakfast the next morning.

I want to spend as much time with them as I can - So this week family is going to be my main focus, so there may be a couple of days where the blog is set aside.

Because of my early morning departure to Charlotte, there won't be a blog post tomorrow.

I will do my best to post now and then to the socials like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter.

And we'll play catch up in the days after they have all gone home.

My big job today other than the doc to see if the boot can come off is to get all the groceries needed and stock the retreat fridge for at least the first couple of days worth of meals and snacks.

And to remember to breathe.  And to keep the panic out of my brain. It will work out.  They'll have a good time.  We'll make fun memories.

It's going to be Epic!


Do you have your pattern yet? 

I have placed the PDF pattern for Appalachian Autumn at 25% off in both the Quiltville Store and the Quiltville Etsy Pattern Shop.

The sale price is good through 9/30/22 - no coupon needed.

And if you have this project started already, perhaps it is time to pull it back out and finish it!


Quiltville Quote of the Day -

There are plenty of people who do not criticize, point fingers, or judge.

THIS is the kind of character we want to foster within ourselves. THIS is the character of the kind of people we want to develop close relationships with.

And the kind of person we should strive to be.

Every day.



 

30 comments:

  1. Im so excited for you and your family! What a wonderful memory you are creating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are going to have a great visit!! And the fall colors are going to cooperate splendidly!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i AM SO excited for you! and pointing a finger for sure with the declaration to just breathe and relax and enjoy... <3
    Cats in Carlsbad CA wishing you the best of 'reunions' ever

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Enjoy them all so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're a worrier like me. Can't change it either.
    I'm sure everything will be fine.
    Remember to have a great time.
    Can't wait to see Bristol...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have so much fun with family! Best of thoughts with you for the boot to come off!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoy every minute with your family! By the way that truck is fabulous! If my husband were still alive he would be on his way to Virginia to buy it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just enjoy your family - we blog-readers understand and will be here when your family has returned home!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We just returned from a 3 week visit with family some of which I hadn't seen in 52 years. Way past time. You will have a delightful time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bonnie - you're allowed to give yourself a much-deserved vacation week from the blog! I hope your family visit is amazing. Enjoy, and take the time for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enjoy your reunion and everything else will fall into place...Breath. Happy for you, and hope the Boot comes off.
    BTW does anyone have reference to the block above with the quote? Looking for advise, not sure if this is Bonnie's. Want to do full size quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Forget about the blog and enjoy your family!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not family but friends coming for Lunch. BUSY - hiding the Stitching stuff so I can put up the Table to eat. Hubby is crafting in the garage. It's a MONDAY. Happy for you to see your mom and family come. They'll love the INN. I try and think they are coming to see you not the clean house. Gonna make some Comfort food for eating and Homemade Bread.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Enjoy family .. we will live without blog every day. Miss it .. yes, but family is more important.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bonnie, this past spring, i saw my sister for the first time in 25 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! to say i was nervous would be the understatement of the year, it was WONDEFUL. we picked up where we left off as if no time at all had passed. i'm sure you will have the same, if not better of a visit. enjoy every second.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, Bonnie, this is epic indeed! Such a blessing that these elders can travel is soooo fantastic. Bonus they can see your HUGE accomplishments at the Inn. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  17. take group photos for now and for the generations to come....... silly is ok too.....

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's going to be better than anything you can imagine or plan. You certainly deserve a break from "work", so enjoy every second with your family. Catchup with us after they've gone home. Take good Care, and get all the hugging in you can.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can hear the laughter all the way to WI! Hugs to all and enjoy every moment with your family. If you see the ghost of a child sitting at the tip of the stairs, it's just me listening to the stories my own "grown-ups" told years ago! So informative!

    ReplyDelete
  20. We call it "the before times". And yes it marks a significant change for everyone and everything. Have a wonderful family time!

    ReplyDelete
  21. When hanging quilts for a show, I appreciate the contrast between quilt back & hanging sleeve. Not fun to search for the sleeve.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Have fun with your family! You can post and blog after they go home!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am so happy for you! Everything will be wonderful! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Good luck with the x-ray, and please take a vacation from the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Have a wonderful time with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love the photo of Lola in the basket! I bet she's had her eye on it for months, just waiting for you to get all the fabric out of the way. Pretty kitty!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. OH ENJOY your family!! Happy Happy Happy <3

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)