>>>>

Saturday, October 01, 2016

It’s The Great Pumpkin, Delaware!

20160926_160918
It was hotter than blue blazes yesterday when I landed in Fort Lauderdale.

Just when things had been turning into a glorious autumn in the north east….I land in the very very south east to sweltering humidity and high temperatures.

Autumn is one of those times of year I look forward to with great anticipation.  SWEATER WEATHER!  And no more need to worry about the condition of the pedicure as feet are tucked warmly into cozy socks and warmer sneakers or boots.

No, I’m not ready for the real cold of winter, but the cooler temps and colors of autumn make me wish autumn could just hang around a little bit longer.  And since it is now officially October 1st, I feel a pumpkin post is most appropriate!

On our way back from the workshop in Delaware, before setting up for the evening’s festivities at the lecture location, we stopped by a local farm in full fall splendor, complete with corn maze, and hay bale castle, a wonderland of autumn activities for kids of all ages, including us!

While we didn’t go IN the corn maze, there wasn’t time, you can see from this aerial photo just how intricate it is.  HOW DO THEY DO THAT!? 

I’d likely be lost in there for days!

20160926_160853

Fifer Orchards has been going strong since 1919!

20160926_160950

We took in all of the varieties of pumpkins, squash and gourds.

20160926_161017

Aren't these adorable!  I love the coloring!

20160926_161028

All of these shapes and textures!

I have to admit, the white pumpkins look a bit anemic to me.

20160926_161045

Great for pies and baking the sign says.

But look at the COLORS!

20160926_161103

Aren’t these grey/green ones interesting?

20160926_161135

The kids can sit and play pumpkin games!

Checkers?  Or tic tac toe?

20160926_161751

Catch the little guy rolling the big section of pipe!

20160926_161802

Go cart races!

20160926_161821

Hay bale castle with slides!

20160926_161845

I love the Charlie Brown zig zag stripes on the bales!

Do you want to go in?

What a fun way to let the kids play and get all of their energy and wiggles out.

20160926_162216

It’s a BOUNCY Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!

20160926_161903

Well, okay. It’s a picture board!  I had to do it!

20160926_162936

Autumn in Delaware.  BEAUTIFUL!

But now I”m headed into the Caribbean!  For those worried, our ship is NOT headed in the direction of hurricane Matthew.  Thank you for your well wishes.  We may get a bit of rain, it’s raining this morning, but I see blue skies on the horizon.  And we’ve got quilting to do!  We will be more than fine, we are going to have a ball!

20160930_125754

Yesterday as we descended into Fort Lauderdale!

20160930_103216

I hexied my way, all the way!

All flights were on time, and I was even rewarded with a first class bump.  Always nice when that happens.  I’ve started on row 3 of fill in corner number 4…we are getting there!  I am looking forward to sitting on my balcony, watching the beautiful sea and stitching away.

mark

Last Night’s dinner entertainment!

This is my friend Mark Sherman of Remarkable Quilts!  We taught together at our April Cocoon in Naperville, Illinois.  When he heard I was in Fort Lauderdale, he contacted me and we had a wonderful time with dinner for three and a lot of brainstorming and sharing and catching up took place over a wonderful Indian meal – my favorite! 

20161001_072628

This morning…I see some blue skies in the distance!

I’ve met a few of my cruisers.  Their excitement has me even MORE happy to be here.  It’s going to be an adventure in all areas.

I’ll be posting as often as I can.

10_1_2016

Quiltville Quote of the Day!

Love Audrey Hepburn!

Carolina Crossroads quilt made by Carrie from Delaware. Pattern from my book Scraps & Shirttails.   I thought her orange and green theme ties us right back into the pumpkin fun posted above.  Thanks for sharing, Carrie!

Right now…it’s time for breakfast, and packing up and getting down to the taxi!

Happy October, everyone!

All Aboard!


Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!

Click Here to join our sister group, Quiltville's Open Studio on Facebook, a place to Sew, Share & Grow!!

7 comments:

  1. You are so right this is the best time of year! Love the colors and smells in the air, rustling of leaves and blowing wind. Oh the wonders of fall. Hope you have a beautiful trip and get back to your cabin quickly to enjoy this weather. I bet Sadie wants to go walking in the woods with you too. Thanks for all you do and I so enjoy your blogs, pictures and all the quilt cams (even the ones that don't go smoothly). But that is life, enjoy!! gma quilter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny! I live in Fort Lauderdale and think it has cooled down a bit. I guess it is all relative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just as I started to read this, I said to Mark that I hoped you wouldn't be anywhere near Hurricane Matthew. Then I read your comment about not headed that direction. Now I won't worry too much. What will you be making on this trip? Have the rulers arrived yet? I placed my order yesterday and will wait patiently for you to return and get orders out. Have a blast and enjoy your new & old friends!!
    Blessings, Katy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have Fun, and Safe Travels, Bonnie!

    We have been having beautiful Fall Weather in South Central Alaska, and have been able to see the Aurora Borealis at night for the last week, but the rain has moved back in for a couple of days. I love the colors and the cool, crisp mornings, and even for an afternoon walk!

    Donna
    Kasilof, AK

    ReplyDelete


  5. Great article! Very informative, thanks for the post!
    you can check more such tips on woman beauty and makeup tips

    ReplyDelete


  6. Great article! Very informative, thanks for the post!
    you can check more such tips on woman beauty and makeup tips

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bonnie, we have corn mazes in Florida, too! :) Maybe you'll have time to visit one before you go home. Stay safe - Matthew is on the way!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)