>>>>

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Tuesday....feels like Monday....


I'm always this way after a holiday weekend! I feel like my week gets short-sheeted, instead of my weekend getting an extra day added to it. :c)

Yesterday was washed out mostly by the computer running around.....but i'm happy to report that it is all sorted out.

I've had many mails with people's hints and suggestions. I take them all into consideration. My main reason for taking the old puter to Geek Squad was to find out if it was worth fixing or not. It wasn't. The motherboard was completely fried. You could even smell the smoke from it blowing up inside.

That said, it was going to cost about $400 ($200 for parts...plus labor)to get it running again....and since it is over 3 years old, it would be running at a slower pace with less storage space and memory as what is available NEW. I bought an "out of the box" demo tower that didn't have to have a monitor come with it, or umpteen cords or anything I didn't need...and there was no down time, which there would have been if I had left my desktop there for fixing...I can't deal with the down time when I have so much to do, so this is what I've got. You know what they say? Even time is money! It works for me, and I'm happy with it. I still have lots of software to add, but will do that a bit at a time.

While DH was plugging me all in last night, I pieced a quilt back! The red plaid was not quite wide enough, so I dug into a box of 6" blocks and units, and pieced a stripe that will run down the back of the quilt, off center...just the way I like it :c) I'm happy to have found a place for these blocks and units to go, and it will make the back of the quilt extra fun, even though these blocks are totally unrelated to what is in the front.

The pieced stripe is going to end up wherever it ends up, completely unplanned...another way I love to work!

I've got some paperwork stuff to do, and a trip to the post office before they close, but I hope to get the top loaded and start the quilting on it by evening time.

17 comments:

  1. I have to say that I am thrilled with this idea for expanding your backing fabric! I've used strips of fabric to do this, and always been pleased with the result. But what a great way to use up some orphan blocks and get a very funky backing! Thanks for sharing!

    Good luck with the new computer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that a Dear Jane I see in back of your machine? Hadn't know you made that quilt...I wanna do one. Glad you're back among the computing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. How life has changed around the computer worlds. TTFN ~ Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, if the motherboard was fried, they were able to rescue the data from your hard drive, right?

    Sorry, but I'm an Alpha Geek during the workweek.

    Good decision, nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. uhhh - are you leading us on? Exactly what IS on the front of that red plaid backing with the strip of blocks?

    Curious Elaine Adair

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry that you got fried, but glad that your husband plugged you in.

    I really liked the pieced back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice back! I saw a blog, can't remember whose, where she did quilts for her twin boys that were similar.. solid with a blanket stripe of blocks. I love working without a plan. So much of grown up life if "have to". I like my quilting to be "want to"!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very funky backing and wonderful Dear Jane ! Kiss from France

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that backing and what a brilliant idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the quilt back! Makes it look so interesting and sure to bring a smile. Thanks for sharing your creative ideas, we appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW - is that a completed Dear Jane quilt on the back wall? I knew you had been working on one, but did not know it was completed. You are teasing us - What is the front of the red/white/blocks backing? Judy C

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous9:17 AM EDT

    I just opened my copy of "Down Under Quilts" and was suprised to see "Double Delight" made by a quilter named Jane. Please note, the quilter was not trying to take credit for the pattern or anything; the magazine had photos of a lot of her quilts spaced throughtout the article. Anyway, as usual, it goes without saying, your're known worldwide!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Isn't it amazing how the price of computers has fallen? I dropped my laptop and shattered the screen. The geek squad gave me pretty much the same advice...the laptop was 6 years old and to get a new screen was more than buying new laptop off the shelf. They did send my laptop to be recycled so I don't feel as guilty....

    ReplyDelete
  14. I made a Strip Twist quilt from your pattern for a Quilt's of Valor project my mom's church group was working on. It turned out really nice! I have a fuzzy picture of it on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the quilt and especially the back. Sorry to hear about your computer. Darn things we can't live with our without them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It´s very beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this quilt back- So much better to make it wider this way than just adding one stripe of fabric.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)