>>>>

Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Eclipse- the Day After!

20170821_131329
Outside on the deck for lunch at the time the eclipse was set to begin.

It was a beautiful afternoon, but the sun was shining through fluffy banks of cloud cover and I just wasn’t sure we were going to get anything.

Still, it was fun to watch a bit of TV reporting, and live website updating on just what was being seen around the country.

Last night we watched the Weather Channel feed, and to hear how bad the traffic was as folks were crawling home from South Carolina and through Georgia made me glad to just be where I am stitching away with my friend, and celebrating what eclipse there was in Southwest Virginia from the comfort of my deck!

“See anything yet?”

20170821_133424


“NO!  It’s up there somewhere!”

“I can’t tell if it is darker because of the moon cover, or just the cloud cover!”

Another check on a website told us that if we came back out in about an hour we would be as covered as we were going to get.

So go sew some more!

20170821_143556

DANG!  More clouds!

The sky, what sky there was – turned a vivid almost navy blue and we could see the corona rays, but those CLOUDS!!  Right where we needed to be.

IMG_2237

Trying to get the Quiltvilla Sign in the cloud photo from the ground.  LOL

image1

This just is not a pretty pose!

Yes.  I have white socks and my slippers on.  What else would you wear for multiple days of sewing frenzy??

20170821_144457

It’s up there somewhere!

We had a good laugh about it all, and I guess we’ll be doing it again in another 7 years!

Some friends had great experiences though, so enjoy this little 3 minute video by none other than our Ricky Tims:


And meanwhile, a whole lot of stitching took place!

20170821_072807

Irene’s pumpkins from Lori Holt’s Bee Happy Sew along – a shop sample!

20170821_204112

More hand quilting to West Side Story!

Irene had never seen West Side Story before.  As it ends on such a sad note, we segued right into Overboard with Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn for some feel good funny and romance.

This quilt has 3 hoop-fulls and then it will be DONE DONE DONE!  Only 10 years in progress - yikes.  Next up on hand-quilting deck is to finish the pink/brown Jane Stickle variation.

Today is going home day.  We are making a morning pilgrimage to Wytheville, VA for a stop at Batiks, Etc. and a bite of lunch out and then she will go her way and I will go mine.  It’s been a great time up at the cabin and I have loved having her here, rotary cutter incident (which is healing nicely) and all!

SO MUCH PROGRESS has been made behind the scenes and I am so excited about our upcoming Quiltville mystery – our first post on colors, background info, yardage requirements, etc. will post in about 8 weeks.  Begin the count down!

8_22_2017

Quiltville Quote of the Day!

Everyone needs a little help. When you figure it out, lend a hand and lift someone else up! 

Thank you for the reminder, Maya Angelou.

Have a great Tuesday, everyone!


Follow me on Instagram!

Follow my Quiltville Page on Facebook for more fun!

Join our sister group, Quiltville's Open Studio on Facebook, a place to Sew, Share & Grow!!

16 comments:

  1. Thank you for showing Ricky Tims eclipse footage ,,, we had only about 87% coverage in southern Ontario, Canada. Glad Irenes rotary ouch is healing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE overboard. One of my all time favorites. We didn't see much of the eclipse either. Next time

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for including Ricky Tims video of the eclipse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing video from Ricky Tims. The pumpkins??? I thought they were Christmas ornaments 😃

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad Irene's moshap is healing and didn't keep her from stitching. Cute Pumpkins. Love the Quiltvilla sign with the clouds. You made your own Eclipse memories. I watched Ricky'video from Facebook last night. He had a secluded spot. No crowds in his view. In 7 years you might see more of it from your porch. 8 weeks!! Getting ready, I picked neutrals with my Row by Row win at the LQS. I thought of the mytery as I drove past our Sherwin Williams store before the Eclipse. Maybe the paint chips will be from that store this year. Hint, hint.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eight weeks--golly! I need to get a bunch of stuff finished to clear the decks. :)

    I bought the three-in-one color tool last year from your shop. It would be great if, in addition to the paint chips, you could reference the colors with that. I love that tool and use it all the time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Bonnie! Thanks for the Ricky Tims video. We had "Totality" here in Charleston, SC, but it was Thunderstormming!! However, at 2:46 p.m., the sky got totally dark. If I had not known there was a total eclipse, I would have headed under my desk with my dog!! Freaky!! But it lightened back up and the storms continued. I appreciate being able to see what I missed!! I'm glad Irene's boo-boo is healing good. Happens to everyone at one point (or two)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. West Side Story!!! One of my favorite musicals!! I passed on the eclipse, saw the darkening surroundings from my sewing room window, good enough for me. I knew millions of people would be posting their pics on social media for me to see. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful post, Bonnie! So glad that you had a productive, fun time with Irene. Thank you for sharing Ricky's video...it gave me goosies all over again and I loved their reactions. Safe travels to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved the shots of you on your lawn trying to get photos. You are so real. No dressing up for the camera here, and it is great!
    Thanks for including the Ricky Tims video. He was obviously near the Tetons somewhere. We weren't far, in a rural Idaho community, and watching his video made me relive that magic space of time. Gave me chills seeing it all over.

    ReplyDelete
  11. so sorry you had cloud cover and were unable to see the eclipse. We were blessed to be in TN and along the path of totality. I had my son and grandson out on the back deck! It was so amazing!!! My camera wasn't able to get pictures but we got pix of each other with our shirts! We even made eclipse cookies.... black&whites!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just got home to Ohio from Jackson, WY where my mom lives. Ricky was in the area teaching and performing at the Star Valley Quilt Trail. Seeing the total eclipse was absolutely amazing. From the looks of the Grand in his video, Ricky was on the Idaho side of the Tetons. Where I live in Ohio will be within an hour of the totality range in 2024, and I can't wait to experience it again. There's a much greater chance of clouds here, however.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have you tried Acorn tV. My current favorite is "A Place to Call Home". You can get them on netflix too, haven't tried Brit Box yet. Btw I have satellite internet too. Acorn now has Android set up too, and I am loving it on my tablet!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for Rickys post, it was awesome. On Netflix I am watching (addicted to) Reign, about Mary Queen of Scotland, I am loving it!! Also looking forward to the mystery quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for posting that video. I found it really emotional. we live in an amazing world.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I also watched the total eclipse on the Idaho side of the Tetons. Any traffic was worth it. It was one of the most amazing experiences of my life!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)